Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(WBK) Gators to Take on Georgia Sunday in Athens

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatorjjh, Feb 9, 2019.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Gators to Take on Georgia Sunday in Athens
    Women's basketball heads north to battle Bulldogs in first of two tilts between the teams.
    Sam Stolte UF Sports

ATHENS, Ga. – The University of Florida women's basketball team returns to league play Sunday, Feb. 10 when it travels to Georgia to battle the Bulldogs in Athens. Tipoff from Stegeman Coliseum is slated for Noon ET as the Gators and Bulldogs meet for the 73rd time.

The contest will air live on the ESPNU with Melissa Lee and A'Ja Wilson on the call while Kyle Crooks and Brittany Davis will handle the radio broadcast on ESPN 98.1 FM/850 AM.
    Game Notes UF | Game Notes UGA
    UF enters the matchup off the heels of a momentous 57-55 victory over Alabama Thursday night in Gainesville. Despite trailing for nearly 34 minutes and trailing by as many as nine in the second half, Florida fought back to outscore the Crimson Tide 20-14 in the fourth quarter and snap its five-game slide. Delicia Washington's pull-up jumper with 15 seconds left proved to be the game-winning basket as Florida claimed its sixth victory at home this season. Funda Nakkasoglu's play was key in Florida's come-from-behind victory as the redshirt-senior poured in a game-high 20 points, including 11 in the fourth quarter. Danielle Rainey, who scored 10 points in the first half, finished with 12 and Kiki Smith collected a career-high 11 rebounds. UF shot 53.8 percent in the fourth quarter and drilled four 3-pointers in the final 10 minutes to even the season series with the Crimson Tide at 1-1.
    Gators to Take on Georgia Sunday in Athens - Florida Gators

• Like Like x 2
  2. GratefulGator

GratefulGator All American

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    I hope our Lady Gators knock those bitches up!

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    They had a very good practice on Saturday before getting on the bus, had a chance to sit in on the film study and game plan, the coaches all believe that they can win in Athens with solid defense against the DDO and rapid ball movement on offense, if they play as they have been coached I think they have a real chance of a surprise win. Time will tell...

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Georgia 93
    Gators 58

5. missourigator

missourigator GC Legend

Apr 13, 2007
    Losing by 35, yes the coaches were right. Where are the positives in this one? Too bad we get destroyed on tv. Doesn't help recruiting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Coach Cam wasn’t so positive in the postgame. Was obviously disappointed. Obviously thought we under-performed. All facets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. missourigator

missourigator GC Legend

Apr 13, 2007
    credits to him. I am glad he is finally being honest.

8. ekfornam

ekfornam Junior

Oct 10, 2017
    I can already guess what the official UF recap will be:

UF made double digit 3-pointers for the 5th time in the last seven games!

UF held UGA to their 8th lowest offensive rebound total this season!

UF outscored UGA in the last 3 minutes of the 2nd quarter! It's the 6th time this season the Gators have outscored their opponents in the final 3 minutes of a 2nd quarter!

Between our Baghdad Bob beat reporter and the person running the UF Twitter updates, you never have any clue just how badly we are getting beaten.

9. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA COMMUNICATIONS
    Sunday, Feb. 10, 2019
    Florida Falls on the Road to Georgia

Kiara Smith scores 15 points but women’s basketball unable to slow down Bulldogs in Athens.
    ATHENS, Ga. – Despite featuring four double-digit scorers, the University of Florida women's basketball team fell 93-58 to Georgia Sunday afternoon at Stegeman Coliseum.

Kiki Smith registered a team-high 15 points, finishing in double digits for the sixth time in 11 SEC contests. The sophomore guard knocked down three 3-pointers and hauled in a team-high seven boards but it wasn't enough as the Gators came up short in the 73rd meeting between the programs.

Florida was unable to slow down the Bulldogs as they finished the game shooting 58.2 percent from the floor. Georgia, which improves to 11-2 at home this season, shot above 50 percent in each of the four quarters.

Funda Nakkasoglu and Delicia Washington each scored 12 while freshman Emanuely de Oliveira, earning her fourth-straight starting nod, finished with a career-high 11 points to round out UF's quartet of double-digit scorers. Nakkasoglu recorded a double-digit scoring output for the 18th time this season while Washington scored 10 or more for the 12th time.
    Washington dished out a team-high four assists as well.

Georgia also featured four in double figures, led by Caliya Robinson who finished with 17.

The Gators hung tough by shooting it effectively from three-point range as they knocked down 11 of their 26 attempts for the game. Florida netted 10 or more three-pointers for the fourth time during SEC play and the eighth time overall.

Florida trailed 11-3 at the first quarter media timeout as Robinson ran her tally up to nine in just the first five minutes. Smith connected on a three-pointer to shrink the Georgia lead to 11-6, but the Bulldogs utilized an 8-0 run to jump ahead 19-6. Smith scored Florida's last seven points of the quarter but UF faced a 23-10 deficit at the end of the first period.

At the 9:36 mark of the second quarter, Nakkasoglu swished a three-pointer to make the score 25-13. Following the redshirt-senior's triple, Florida would go without a field goal for nearly seven minutes as Washington's basket with 2:41 on the clock snapped the spell. UGA built a lead as large as 24 when it led 40-16 with under three minutes to play, but the Gators fought back to make four of their last five shots and trim the deficit to 44-27 heading into the half.
    Smith checked in with 10 points at the break to pace the Gators. Florida's success shooting the three-pointer kept them within striking distance as it connected on six of its 11 long-range attempts in the first half. The Bulldogs scored 13 points off Florida's 12 first half turnovers.
    Florida trailed 69-44 heading into the fourth quarter as the Bulldogs scored six-straight points to close the third period. Nakkasoglu scored six points in the stanza but Georgia added to its lead by shooting 12-of-20 from the floor.
    Georgia's hot shooting spilled over into the fourth period as the Bulldogs outscored Florida 24-14.
    The freshman de Oliveira knocked down a career-best three 3-pointers for the game.

Up Next
    Sunday, Feb. 17 | 2 p.m.
    Florida (6-17, 2-9) vs. No. 12 South Carolina (17-5, 9-1)
    Exactech Arena at the Stephen C. O'Connell Center | Gainesville, Fla.
    Notables
    • Thursday marked the 73rd meeting between the Gators and Bulldogs.
    • Emanuely de Oliveira, finished with a career-high 11 points and knocked down a career-high three 3-pointers. She scored Florida's first basket on a three-pointer from the top of the key and it marked her fifth-straight game with a made trey.
    • Funda Nakkasoglu has knocked down at least one three-pointer in 22 of the 24 games she has played this season.
    • Smith notched her ninth double figure scoring game on the season and knocked down three or more three-pointers for the third time this season.
    • Smith has six games with 10 or more in league play.
    • Smith led the team in scoring for the third time this season.
    • Florida finished with double-digit three-pointers for the eighth time this season and fourth time in its 11 SEC contests.
    • Florida featured four in double figures for the fifth time this season.
    • Nakkasoglu, Washington, de Oliveira and Smith all knocked down multiple three-pointers.
    Quotables
    Head Coach Cam Newbauer
    " On the team's performance and going up against Georgia...
    "Today we faced a very tough and determined Georgia team on the road. Playing on the road is challenging at every level of basketball but especially in a league like the SEC. I’m proud of the way we fought, but we need to be more aggressive at the start of the game. Kiki (Smith) played really well and I was pleased with the way we shot the ball from three. We will learn from this and get back to practice next week with more energy and focus.

Our girls stepped it up at the end of the first quarter, they started playing a little more aggressively. We need more people to come out of the gates with that aggressiveness. We are just a really young and inexperienced team. I hate saying that all the time, but you look at Georgia and see that they are 4-5 in the SEC. Our team thought they were a 4-5 team but they are not a 4-5 team. Georgia is a very very good team, they came off a week off and they have kids that play really hard. They just played harder than us everywhere today."

On the team's slow start...
    "We wanted to come out of the gates being super aggressive and we did not do anything that we talked about doing at the beginning of the game. It was strange, we were not focused, we were not locked in to this game at all. This is a tough one to swallow they just came at us in every aspect."

10. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Not the performance I was expecting or hoping for, the team as a whole has been unable to come out of the gate with the energy and aggressiveness they sometimes show later in the game. I don't know if it is a lack of confidence or just a group that as a team is lacking the aggressiveness that the best teams turn on when they need to.
    Manu & Kiki have improved over the last 4-6 weeks, Zada has as well, Funda is the target of the opponents best defender and she struggles at times to get her shot. I did not watch so it is hard to be too sure but from the radio broadcasters account the kids did not follow the defensive plan I saw them practice. They are what they are a team that has some good shooters and has shown the ability at times to defend but with no consistency and lacking consistency and a nasty streak down low on both offense and defense.
    I'll be there for the So Carolina game next Sunday knowing So Carolina is a heck of a lot more polished and talented than UGA

11. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

12. middlepolitix

middlepolitix Sophomore

Mar 7, 2017
    Georgia has had the Gators number for years. I think we got them both games a couple years ago, but outside of that they've pretty much clocked us over the last 10 years or so. I really thought we had a chance last year at home (one of the games I think Cam blew), but I didn't think we'd be within 20 this year - especially in their house.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1