Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(SB) Gators Tabbed Fifth in SEC Preseason Coaches' Poll

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by gatorjjh, Jan 15, 2020 at 11:11 AM.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Wednesday, January 15, 2020
    Gators Tabbed Fifth in SEC Preseason Coaches' Poll
    Herb Brooks UAA
    The eight-time SEC regular season champions garnered 92 total points, which trailed Kentucky (101), LSU (117), Tennessee (129) and Alabama (143).
    BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The Southeastern Conference announced the 2020 SEC Softball Preseason Coaches' Poll Wednesday morning after it tabulated the votes from the league's 13 head coaches. Florida was picked to finish fifth in the poll.

The eight-time SEC regular season champions garnered 92 total points, which trailed Kentucky (101), LSU (117), Tennessee (129) and Alabama (143). The Crimson Tide secured 11 first place votes, while Tennessee picked up the remaining two first-place nods.

In 2019, the Gators finished the regular season with a 12-12 conference record, but went on to capture the program's fifth overall SEC Tournament Championship.
    Florida is set to begin its' 2020 campaign at the USF-Rawlings Invitational in Tampa against Illinois State (Feb. 7) at 6:45 p.m. with the first SEC series slated against Auburn (March 6-8).
    2020 SEC Softball Preseason Coaches' Poll
    (First-Place Votes in Parentheses)
    Place
    --- School ---- Points
    1. Alabama (11) 143
    2. Tennessee (2) 129
    3. LSU 117
    4. Kentucky 101
    5. Florida 92

see the full list at:

Gators Tabbed Fifth in SEC Preseason Coaches' Poll - Florida Gators

2. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    this should be a good motivator for the team

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. macbgator

macbgator Premium Member

All right ladies, let’s work hard and prove them wrong!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Agreed, the lowest prediction in some time. Lost some big names, time for the newbies to get some headlines.

5. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    Has Walton's recruiting dipped slightly? Just odd that the Gators, one of the most elite programs in the nation that has just reloaded every year since about 2005 would be ranked 5th in the SEC. I know we had a 12-12 record last year, worst in decades I believe but that has to be an anomaly. I looked at the recruiting class and it does seem to have significant talent, we still have Lindaman a few other sluggers. I guess we don't have the dominant pitching that we had for the past decade or more under Jennifer Rocha, nor do we have Rocha.

6. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

I believe this is all about elite pitching. Cannot have a championship team without it.

Our SB pitching staff is going to have to prove it this year, because we appear to have the rest of the pieces..

7. gatorinmi

gatorinmi GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Do we expect to see some major offensive improvements? That's been the most disappointing thing to me over the last few years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Last year was pitching problems as much if not more than hitting....although the bats did disappear for frustrating stretches. There certainly won't be a Lorenz in the lineup....but IMO there will be better balance top to bottom. It's time for some players to raise their consistency level....Adams, Roberts to a small extent, Hoover/Mathews/Reynoso to a greater extent. Echols should be a solid addition, hopefully Cottrill is our next big hitter

9. GatorGirl15

GatorGirl15 All American

Oct 10, 2008
    I think Florida is going to surprise some people this year. The pitching and hitting will both be improved, IMO.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    We don’t have a dominate pitcher. The loss of Rocha really hurt.

• Agree Agree x 1