Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(SB) Gators Softball gets new transfer

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GboroGator, May 24, 2019.

1. GboroGator

GboroGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Team USA Jr Women's National team member and Michigan State freshman, Charla Echols, is transferring to Florida for the 2020 season. Plays 3b.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. GatorGirl15

GatorGirl15 All American

Oct 10, 2008
    This is a great get for Florida. Will impact the offense immediately.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. cudagator

cudagator Sophomore

Feb 22, 2017
    Great news!!! It’s going to be tough not seeing Amanda in a Gator uniform again. What does the incoming class look like? Does anyone post recruiting news for the ladies?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Glad we got her. In the future I hope the NCAA sets up guidelines to when the portals are open by sport and when transfers can "officially" happen. I'm not sure these transfers, before all teams seasons are over, are the best for all intended. In my opinion, it would be better to reduce distractions if transfers only happen off season. I realize part of the timing by sport is also dependent on the college class schedules. Obviously all students need time to get moved, get settled and prep for the start of class in the week before. It does make you wonder how much time coaches are taking in pursuing transfers and not our next opponent.

• Creative Creative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. fijigator

fijigator GC Legend

Apr 4, 2019
    Another top 5 class of course. Keep on eye on Julia Cottrill and Rylee Trlicek.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. fijigator

fijigator GC Legend

Apr 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  7. cudagator

cudagator Sophomore

Feb 22, 2017
    Thanks Fiji. The list looks really good.

8. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Two Florida high school pitchers going to Alabama and ga. They are in the top 10. Is there a reason why we didn’t recruit them. You can never have enough pitching.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. GatorGirl15

GatorGirl15 All American

Oct 10, 2008
    The #1 recruit Kelly Lynch (P) was originally committed to Auburn and opened up her recruiting last minute and chose Washington over Florida. Walton was really trying to get her to come to Gainesville.

But I’m excited for Cottrill and Trlicek. I like that we’re bring in another lefty pitcher in Tricek and she can hit too. She also played travel ball for OC Busters - Same team Lorenz played for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. NWGaGator

NWGaGator Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. fijigator

fijigator GC Legend

Apr 4, 2019
    You win some, you lose some. I have to believe that Rocha going to Oklahoma maybe changed some things.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Gatorryder

Gatorryder GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alabama has gotten some of their best pitchers from Florida like Dunne and Triana. You can't have all pitchers and we have quite a few that just need to produce. What we need is a better offense that helps relieve the pressure on the pitcher. Thankfully we've got some timely hits since the SEC Tournament. Hope that it continues!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. fijigator

fijigator GC Legend

Apr 4, 2019
    I saw via twitter that Lynch and our new transfer Echols were close friends. I know not to get too excited over stuff like that, but should she choose to transfer here as well, she'd already have her good friend on our team.

15. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    All I know about softball recruiting is that most are not on full scholarship, which could explain why we might lose a Florida kid to a non-Florida school.

So we just signed 7 for a total of some number less than 7 scholarships. If anyone was on a full scholarship it would be Barnhill and Lorenz, that in theory you could replace with 4 half scholarships.

I wonder if the coaches allocate their available quantities by position, so recruiting more than 4 pitchers on your roster may be unreasonable and we have 3 returning

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes All American

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    You know how UF football likes to call themselves DBU?
    We're gonna be know as Catcher U!

That will make four on the roster for next year. Unfortunately, there's only one DH so at least two are going to sit or just pinch hit.

17. Gatorryder

Gatorryder GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'd think that Barnhill might be on a full academic scholarship. Some of these student/athletes are very smart and Kelly is certainly in that category.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Who’s on first? Matthews? One of the catchers?

19. GboroGator

GboroGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I think you are really talking just 3. Lindaman, Roberts, and Cottrill. Doubt Thomas plays at all unless in some sort of utility role. I would think one of the other 3 might train some at 1B. Trlicek can play 1B too when she isn't pitching. Whatever gets the hottest bats in the lineup without suffering too much defensively.

20. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Senior

May 9, 2015
    YES.................. Sorry bogey, couldn't resist.:ninja3:

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1