Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gators Roll in Sunshine Showdown (UF & Gvl Sun Recaps)

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by gatorjjh, Mar 13, 2019.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Game Recap: Baseball | Tuesday, March 12, 2019 | Rick Hurtado
    Gators Roll in Sunshine Showdown
    WHAT HAPPENED:
    The Seminoles built a 6-0 lead over Florida that lasted four and a half innings until the Gators stormed back with a five-run fifth inning and an eight-run sixth inning.
    As Florida closed out the evening, Calilao connected on a grand slam, his second of the season. A two-run homer by Blake Reese capped off the victory for the Gators.

IN THE SPOTLIGHT: Kendrick Calilao – The freshman went 4-6 with six RBI on the night, including a grand slam in the eighth inning. It was his second grand slam of the season (the Gators' fifth grand slam overall) and second time amassing six RBI in a game.

FROM THE COACH: Head Coach Kevin O'Sullivan – On the outcome of the game "I'm not quite sure we've been involved with a game that went one way for the first four and a half innings, and all of the sudden it just flips. The bottom line is both teams probably walked too many guys, and a lot of it has to do with youth, and it was their first road game, it was Conor Grady's first start. You know, we are running out some freshmen, they are running out some young arms—both teams have to learn how to play in an environment like this."
    Gators Roll in Sunshine Showdown - Florida Gators

• Like Like x 1
  2. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Gators rout ’Noles after slow start
    Pat Dooley Gvl Sun
    Down 6-0 in fifth, Florida outscores FSU 20-1 rest of game
    After a three-strikeout game Sunday, Kendrick Calilao went to work Monday.
    On a day off, he hit off the curveball pitching machine on his own.
    The extra work seemed to work.

The freshman hit his second grand slam of the year and knocked in six runs Tuesday, as No. 5 Florida overcame a six-run deficit and slammed No. 10 FSU 20-7 at McKethan Stadium.
    “I hit the ball and just hustled down the line,” the freshman said of his grand slam to the opposite field. “I didn’t know it was out.”
    “I’m not sure we’ve been involved with a game that goes one way first 4 1/2 innings and then just flipped,” said Florida coach Kevin O’Sullivan. “Both teams probably walked too many (a combined 15 batters). Both teams have to learn how to play in an environment like this.”

Gators rout 'Noles after slow start

• Like Like x 1