Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(WBK) Gators Return to Host Alabama Thursday Night

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatorjjh, Feb 6, 2019.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Gators Return to Gainesville to Host Alabama Thursday Night
    Women's basketball takes on Crimson Tide for second time this season.
    Sam Stolte UF Sports
    The Gators return to the friendly confines of Exactech Arena after back-to-back road tilts. In its most recent outing, Florida dropped a 62-51 contest at nationally-ranked Kentucky. Florida got off to a strong and turned in one of its best shooting performances of the season, but it wasn't enough to break through against the Wildcats. Against Kentucky, Florida saw Danielle Rainey and Delicia Washington record impressive individual performances. After scoring just two points at Tennessee in Florida's first test on the two-game road swing, Rainey erupted for a career-high 20 points on 7-of-10 shooting from the floor. Washington collected her third double-double of the campaign, and her first since early December, as the junior hauled in a season-high 14 boards to go with 10 points.

Florida and Alabama met in a highly-competitive matchup on Jan. 3 at Coleman Coliseum as the contest saw eight lead changes and five ties. Fueled by a 17-0 run in the first quarter, Florida mounted a lead as large as 20 in the first half but the Crimson Tide fought back to outscore UF 43-24 in the second and third quarters combined. After trailing 61-55 midway through the fourth, Florida battled back with eight-straight points to jump ahead 63-61 with 3:56 remaining in the game. From this point forward, Alabama would close the game on a 13-6 run to deny Florida's bid to snap a four-game slide in SEC openers. Funda Nakkasoglu, 18, and Zada Williams, 11, both finished in double figures.

In the 59 all-time meetings between Florida and Alabama, the Crimson Tide hold a 31-28 edge. In games played in Gainesville, the Gators are 15-8 and have won five of the last six contests.
    Gators Return to Gainesville to Host Alabama Thursday Night - Florida Gators

2. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Gators win a tight one 57-55!

Nice work, Ladies!

• Like Like x 7
  3. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Premium Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Great job.... I still wish Cam would take the green light away from Delicia on threes....does she ever hit them??? Let her drive to the basket and rebound but let others shoot the three. There has definitely been growth this year, but we really need to upgrade our post play. Faith is a nice edition, but I still think we need to find another.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Cam’s wife is due to have a baby Monday?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Washington only shot 1 from the arc. Sometimes, if the D sags, take the open shot. Makes it easier to drive (if you hit!)

6. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Ke Ke needs to quit shooting threes and get the ball to Funda or Johnson. Ke Ke hits 20% of her shots.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. EastTNG8TR

Feb 1, 2011
    Yes Kiki and Delicia are bad shooters.... they need to drive or pass. My only real complaint tonight because out post play is what it is at this point until we have different players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. middlepolitix

middlepolitix Sophomore

Mar 7, 2017
    Don’t see it being much better next year, but at least there’ll be 4 bodies. And that just might be enough to make the difference in a few games.
    Maybe with 4, he’ll let them challenge shots on the interior. Being dead last in blocked shots isn’t helping. And by dead last, I don’t just mean the conference. We’re dead last in all of D1

9. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I was there and it was exciting to watch them close at the end and to talk with some of the player and coaches after the win, they really needed the W....anybody else at the game?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. EastTNG8TR

Feb 1, 2011
    5 actually so hopefully it does make them a little more aggressive. We are basically playing with 1.5 right now depending on if Paige averages a foul per minute in a game or not. Next year looks much better in terms of depth, size, and experience. I just feel like we need a little more skill in the post offensively. Emer is the x factor of sorts.... I don't really know what to expect out of her, but I anticipate her main job to be to defend and rebound. I really would like to have one big girl who can post up and score.

• Like Like x 2
  11. EastTNG8TR

Feb 1, 2011
    Just an fyi for everyone.... Bartram just broke the record for all time 3s at 521 (male or female) last night. We at least know a sharpshooter is coming to replace what we lose in Funda.

• Like Like x 2
  12. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Emer has a good shooting eye, can hit a 3 from the top of the Key and can handle put backs well more consistently than Zada (tho Zada has come a long way from last year) Emer will have to be quicker next season than she is now in practice, I think she has had some knee trouble from time to time that has kept her out of practice

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. middlepolitix

middlepolitix Sophomore

Mar 7, 2017
    I think the x-factor will be Dut. She's long, athletic and can be a force defensively (assuming that whole "challenging shots" thing changes). We're pretty much getting 100 out of Zada. Maybe slight improvement, but she's right at her ceiling. Paige, barring some huge change, will get buried in the bench next season. Not hot on Emer. I think she can help, but she's going to have to really work to be in shape if she's going to contribute more than a handful of minutes next season.
    None of them are really skilled on the block. I've always felt that Cam doesn't place enough importance pffensively on the block, so I'm not really surprised at the type of posts we have - and will have.

14. EastTNG8TR

Feb 1, 2011
    Hopefully Emer gets in shape and Faith can play the 4 more. Curious if anyone has news on any possible JUCOs in Florida.... there are a few prospects out there I hope we are trying for... Jaiden McCoy at NWF is a more traditional post but Naomi Mbandu at Gulf Coast would be brilliant in this system. I would imagine everyone wants her but having a coach there who is a Gator could help. Her twitter is mostly French but she seems to like Syracuse and Ohio State.... we seriously need to make an all out effort to get her on campus.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1