Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

High School/College Sports NIL discussion thread

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bobbybaker86, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Don't you hate it when people talk about themselves in the third person?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    I think since he coached with Saban, he knows they’re pushing the limits on recruiting year after year. The question is if the SEC becomes the super conference, who will be in charge of enforcement?
    Sankey doesn’t talk about Pell grant abuses, cars, jobs for family members, just a few ways to get money to athletes who sign with them. Now with the NIL, professional football. Feels like when MLB, they let the big tv market teams NY Yankees and Los Angeles Dodgers spend unlimited amount of dollars on players when everyone else was in the real world grinding. They finally put limits on this and the parity evened out. This is needed in college football. Eventually, with the SEC dominating any playoff system that comes out, there at some point will be a backlash with someone spilling the beans due to being butt hurt. It will take a while. In the meantime, professional football in the collegiate ranks........

4. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    But now I don't think it even matters...the egregious offenders just repackage these activities into something "legit" and go on their merry way. One example: Tua signs sponsorship agreement with XYZRammerJammer Home Builders and part of the compensation is a free home, which he immediately moves his family in. NIL is nothing more than a suddenly legitimate way for boosters to funnel money to recruits. All but the biggest stars on the minor sports teams won't get anything.

This won't do anything to increase parity...the only thing that did that was the sudden revenue stream that began when the CFA began that coincided with the suddenly much more strict enforcement of recruiting rules by the NCAA (probably because they were quite butthurt by the loss of their College Football gravy train). Suddenly the egregious cheaters had to be more careful which evened out the playing field somewhat.

5. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It should be that no boosters are allowed to privately negotiate or something like that. If the booster seeks permission then so be it. These kids are now going to need representation. If I own a dealership or restaurant chain wouldn't you want me to compensate the players if it helps secure better players? I doubt the teams prone to bending rules or paying players once they are on campus are going to restrict their payments to players by precluding boosters from contracting with players.

I imagine a lot of players on every team are going to be left out and disappointed while the stars rake in tens of thousands. This is going to cause problems, no doubt.

This new era is going to blow up in all kinds of ways for teams and conferences from recruiting to court cases to defense of contract litigation, you name it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Tens of thousands won’t get you the top qb each year, not even close. Bama has started the foundation of what a qb will be paid. 1 mil, let’s go from there. If we pay 50g and Bama pays 1 mil, that kid would really have to love him some gators for us to have any shot.
    Time to pony up if we want 5*’s. We will see soon what the going rate is for each position relative to their rankings.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    I understood that the payola only going to be from marketing schools do using player' likeness. I did not realize it will include endorsements and whatever may come beyond that.

I know a bama QB is going to get one million over time but is that from school marketing or commercial marketing/endorsement?

But if UF is already excluding alumni/booster involvement then what else is there besides Ath Dept endorsed or created marketing and is that enough to keep up with the other schools? I don't know the answers obviously.

8. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    I wonder how long bama has been preparing, who else is ready to make significant offers, where UF is in the process. It seems like we know now what UF will not allow but that we do not know where UF is and what we are ready to do.

Also, how it will go over when one guy is offered a bundle and others are not. This may be too deep and intense for a lot of us. What are the high four star OL going to say when their job, presumably, is to protect a QB making a million or more... "yo, where's my pie yo!"

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Those top 30 lineman will get paid too, don’t kid yourself. Bama probably has been very organized all along to get what these kids and parents what they need. That’s why they are already prepared to show recruits tgat a Bama qb is worth a mil.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    I just hope we can compete.

11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Doesn’t look good so far.

12. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    If this helps limit the number of our players on scooters, I am all for this NIL.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  14. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Bama and Ohio State been doing that forever.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    So did our AD all but rule out the kind of benefit that would come with an alum having ownership or influence with a car dealership, for example? I see an LSU player will get to drive a nice little truck this fall.

16. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It can't be a booster. As long as the owner of the dealership isn't a booster, it should be fine. Easy to work around that with the layers of management at a dealership as I'd think.

I imagine this will be a standard deal in college towns for top players, though the places that have a larger business base or more culturally ingrained worship of the football program will offer it to more players.

17. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    So really, now there is room to have an "endorsement coordinator" on staff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That's a great concept, but the university can't broker deals based on what the UAA guidance said. Obviously that will go on on the downlow for the schools decide to engage in that kind of thing and push the envelope.

Some enterprising soul could make a job of that. Kind of like that G-ville lawyer who had all players with legal issues funneled to him.

19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I don’t think so . It’s just like we aren’t organized from the beginning. I wish EJ had a big deal right off the bat too.

20. hanniorb

hanniorb Freshman

Mar 5, 2020
    Nation's top QB recruit is leaving high school early for Ohio State

I can understand the temptation of getting paid a million dollars just to play college football, but putting a 17 year-old kid in that position to make that much money and the expectations that come with it is going to have disastrous consequences eventually (I am thinking about Josh Hamilton and baseball). This feels like a Lifetime Made for Television movie in the making. It's hard enough for 21-22 year old kids transitioning to the NFL, who have gone through media-training and have had some additional guidance from coaches and former players. Now you give a kid, who should be a high school senior, all of those expectations. The pressure to perform is going to be insane. I hope he comes out on the other side of things alright.

• Agree Agree x 1