Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

High School/College Sports NIL discussion thread

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bobbybaker86, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    People REALLY think that 19 and 20 year olds, the kids whom are merely grunts
    that are not stars, will be UNAFFECTED by the hero's making a million dollars a year?

Hmmm.............Miss a block and let that sucker get planted perhaps?? Break a leg, can't say I would blame them.

I am 100% with DIE on this.

The Academic Institutions will be completely overwhelmed by Corporate Sponsor's, deep pocketed individuals and the omnipresent cheaters waiting to jump into any loophole the second it opens. Called Capitalism folks.

Then of course the sponsors will want to begin dictating the playbook, number of throws, runs and catches, playing time, personal vendettas, jealousies, etc.
    for their particular 5 star.

I'm not paying for this shit, I'm thinking High School football will fill the gap for me just fine and if I want to see paid football I will go the NFL route, not some half ass'd semi pro crap.

I have no skin in the game, just a fan, but I damn sure can direct my dollars where I want them spent and I'm thinking it AIN'T gonna be for college football. Put THAT into the business equation!

• Like Like x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    We call this "bought and paid for" where I come from.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. G8rmann

G8rmann Premium Member

Feb 20, 2014
    The first question that is brewing in my head is whether Florida's Athletic Department is prepared to put together a financial package (NIL) for the next class that will be competitive with places like Alabama, Texas A&M, Georgia and Oregon (Nike)? How about the following class? I cannot help but believe that is how incoming freshmen football players will be viewing things in the very near future.

I am equally interested in seeing how incoming corporate money will shift the centers of power? Will traditional powers/brands in smaller college towns (SEC, Big Ten traditional powers) continue have brand power over larger urban areas with their larger potential television markets? Will this shift over time?

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I don’t think it comes down to the school but the boosters only. It’s being played out as I speak for the last decade at least if not more. I don’t think a lot of things are going to change but they’re just going to be brought into daylight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I think you know that answer....the same folks the are "policing" the current violations.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Agreed, but if they had been reading the tea leaves a whole system of willing and ready boosters should have already been set up. Of course UF has appeared a little queasy to fully jump into the big-time College Football arms race since Urban left the building...so its no real surprise to me.

7. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    The brand power is about eyes on those television sets, not where those eyes are located. Until more eyes are on the UCF game than the UF game, there won't be any shift to the larger urban center.

For instance...I went to GA Southern and UF. I am a fan of Georgia Southern and UF. Guess which game I'm watching on Sat??? It ain't the Southern game (unless UF is playing that dreaded opponent: bye week).

8. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017

• Like Like x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  9. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    College Hunks is likely false advertising. Two men and a truck brand is more accurate assessment of this industry

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  10. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017

11. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Which means at LSU... no one.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. hanniorb

hanniorb Freshman

Mar 5, 2020
    Curious to see how NIL will impact the transfer portal. Will players be less likely to transfer away from bigger programs because they are under contract? How inclined will star players at smaller programs be to enter the portal seeking a sweet NIL deal? What kind of negotiations will take place before a player announces their transfer destination?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    All great questions

14. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017

• Like Like x 1
  15. hanniorb

hanniorb Freshman

Mar 5, 2020
    I was going to bring this up. Saban, during media days, dropping that one of his players is going to get near seven figures before that player even takes a meaningful snap, is everything about recruiting and nothing about if it is deserved by that player. There should probably be some regulation on coaches and their ability to speak about how much their players are earning through NIL. Not sure why Saban would have an idea what Young is making unless he was the one lining up the endorsements. The rich get richer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Not fair ...he’s counting what he got paid to attend Bama before NIL

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  17. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017

• Like Like x 2
  18. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Reserve players at big schools might transfer to other schools might get more NIL money if they become stars at their transfer destination. A guy like Brenton Cox comes to mind under this scenario.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    The nerve of Jimbo

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1