Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

High School/College Sports NIL discussion thread

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bobbybaker86, Jun 24, 2021.

1. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017

• Like Like x 1
  3. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wow

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. stabnburn

stabnburn Freshman

Sep 12, 2017
    Aww man, now UGA is gonna out-recruit us!

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017

• Like Like x 3
  7. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Chomp Chomp

8. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Agreed. It’s just a buffer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Still best way is for fans/boosters that support a team to hire parents for a new job at a much higher salary and benefit package, such as a car allowance. Nothing NCAA can do and perfectly legal provided parent performs role they were hired for.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    And if said fans aren’t boosters, that’s even easier. I’m not a booster but my parents are. They just need to drop all the pretense and let everyone play by the same rules.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. tgator58

tgator58 Sophomore

Jan 18, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    A few thoughts on NIL -

I consider it "Free Agency for College"

IMO - How is team (locker room) morale effected when the Tim Tebow's of the world get 95% of the bank and the others get left with the hamburger bills?

Will football players be students? It seems they are now being asked:

Play Football
    Capitalist Entrepreneur
    Student??? Or are we just going the way of KY basketball and the kids are just semi pro's (1 - 2 years) playing for entertainment.

Ummm I'm a rich booster - I suppose I could buy 10,000 Diwan Black T shirts for $35.00 a pop right?? No problem? 10,000 shirts every month???

I CAN'T WAIT for the "scummery" - that gang of hangers on that surrounds the high school kid with the "SCAMS" to get said kid to this college or that college.

Why not quit screwing around and get "straight" to the point:
    This is all about the "highest bidder" Athletic Departments getting the kid they want. The system will be gamed by the boosters and Athletic Department sycophants. Systems or "business's" will be set up by the scoundrels to insure income to the players. It's already in motion.

Amateur Collegiate Football as we knew it is DEAD and GONE. It's been dead awhile of course.

My puzzlement is how the entire system has been scammed by what amounts to essentially 25 - 30 5 star players each year in H.S.

Those 25 - 30 or their handlers at least, have determined that THEY should benefit from NIL. Of course everyone else gets nothing or very little and the College's roll over like a dead whale.

Here is a novel idea - kid wants some money, go deliver pizzas, ya know like the REST of the WORLD!

As I said earlier, quit screwing around, College's just set up an "offer" mechanism to the kids handlers and put in an offer. E-Bay for Football Players.

The rich will get richer - BAMA, OSU, Clemson etc.

It is, after all, the American way!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It’s already been that way for a while. Turning on the lights and seeing it for what it really is , is what’s happening now. When we can all see that the same teams that take the best players are paying the most, people can understand why every coach is a great recruiter at certain schools and not so much at another.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. sharkey28

sharkey28 Premium Member

Apr 12, 2007
    He told ESPN that Lambert's fanhood and previous donations that he has made to the athletic department do not prevent him from creating a company that facilitates endorsement deals for Hurricanes players.

Heitner said Florida's law only prohibits an entity that has directly supported the university or the athletic department from paying or facilitating these deals.

I'm sure the laws will vary slightly from state to state

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. pcg8r

pcg8r Sophomore

Apr 3, 2007
    I just can't wait to see the tax returns of some bama players in the future ( and those who are paying their players for NIL ) . If Al Capone was alive today he would probably blush !!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I completely agree.

Just curious, clearly the NCAA or whatever organization is involved will almost certainly have to have a new division of labor don't you think?

Around 115 teams now (give or take a few) but clearly this will have to be changed.

I would think that, under free agency now, for competitiveness sake, conferences will have to realign.

Something like a Super-Conference of maybe 16 teams that can "afford" it.
    I would just split the conference in two, 8 teams each and the conference champ is declared 'National Champion".

This will eliminate the conference "dreck" teams - Like in the SEC - shake loose Vandy, Miss State, Ole Miss, S Carolina, KY, TN, Auburn, Arkansas, Missouri, TAMU.

All the teams not in the Super-Conference can be reclassified as in the old days - Div 2, 3 , 4 etc........or, let them just drop football, those schools and players are all second class losers anyway.

Ideally College Football could continue to "STREAMLINE" the game, because everyone knows that 16 teams is probably way too many anyway, remember, we need to please the 25 - 30 5 stars and their handlers and I am sure they would advocate that dollars could be further concentrated by reducing the participants down to 8 or possibly 4 teams.

Once we are down to 4 or 8 teams I say...why F'in play at all? Just let the school boosters decide whom wins the big crystal by outbidding the other guys. Just play the game virtually - no injuries!

Man, I LOVE it when business takes over College Football, whom needs equal amateurs anyway???

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This is pandora’s box and its going to get real shady. Who polices the violations?

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. zman-1

zman-1 GC Legend

Mar 5, 2017
    West of the equator
    Question: Is there really a violation anymore? Seems like everything is on the table now. Amateur sports are dead. It was a fun ride; especially '96,'06,and '08.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Its not as if we have been killing it recruiting lately but can UF compete in a marketing driven financial arms race? I doubt we have been preparing for this.

On a side note, so many teams will have disenchanted unpaid players. That is going to be difficult to manage.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1