Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(GYM) Gators' Performance Perfect Way to Enter Postseason + older Gym Merged Threads

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by gatorjjh, Nov 14, 2018.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
  2. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Florida looks to clinch share of SEC title
    By Gvl Sun gatorsports
    By Jim Harvin, Correspondent
    Coming off their first dual-meet road win over Alabama since 1979, the third-ranked Florida Gators are back home in the Exactech Arena to face No. 7 Georgia Friday at 6:45 p.m. in the O’Connell Center.
    “Really, I think this team is in an amazing spot right now, coming off a great win at Alabama,” UF gymnastics coach Jenny Rowland said. “It was the first time in 40 years. This team really is on a high and carrying it with them, which is great.
    “There are things that it’s great to carry with you and some things that you need to leave behind, but riding on that win is a wonderful thing.”
    UF (5-1, 5-0), which downed the Tide by a 197.325-196.475 margin, will face a Georgia squad that stands 5-3, 3-2 but has won three straight Southeastern Conference meets after an 0-2 start.
    Florida looks to clinch share of SEC title - GatorSports.com

• Like Like x 1
  3. GatorGirl15

GatorGirl15 Senior

Oct 10, 2008
    I just saw that Florida lost to Georgia in gymnastics since I wasn’t able to watch tonight. What the heck happened? I’m sort of shocked.

4. rharmon

rharmon Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Dogs had 4 girls lose their balance on beam, with no apparent reduction in score. One girl lost balance badly twice and scored 9.925????? Obviously the FIX was IN!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    No. 3 Florida Gymnastics Nipped by No. 7 Georgia
    Mary Howard
    No. 3 Florida lost 197.45-197.375 to No. 7 Georgia in home action Friday
    GAINESVILLE, Fla. – It was the little things that didn't go in Florida's favor Friday, contributing to its first 2019 league loss. Those balance checks and extra steps quieted the Gators scoring, as No. 3 Florida lost by 0.075 of a point to No. 7 Georgia Friday in front of 8,744 at the Exactech Arena at the Stephen C. O'Connell Center.
    The GymDogs' 197.45 was just off its season-best of 197.475 set the first Friday of February. Florida posted a 197.375.
    HEAR FROM THE GATORS:
    Opening statement…
    "No event stood out more than anything else. We left a lot out on the floor tonight. For the Gators, it was a missed opportunity. It's not the end of the world, it was a competition. We have a lot more to go.
    "I really think this team is going to respond well from this loss. Win, lose, we go by scores. Really had a decent night tonight. I can't say anything bad. I know this team is full of fight, full of heart, full of passion. They are going to get back in the gym and they are going to continue to work hard and do it for their team, themselves and for Gator Nation." – Florida coach Jenny Rowland
    No. 3 Florida Gymnastics Nipped by No. 7 Georgia - Florida Gators

6. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    The Bulldogs out performed the Gators at this meet, I made a few notes while in the stands, first if we do not get vault landing down (read stuck) we will not be championship calibre the other glaring weakness tonight was on the beam where wee had two falls or serious mistakes. Out talent is better & deeper than Georgia's but our focus has to be better and the Vault landings have to be stuck routinely if UF is going to be in the mix for a NC. This was a meet we could have won convincingly and didn't.
    The judging was at best mediocre but it was equally poor to both teams.

Team ... Vault...... Bars... Beam .... Floor Total
    Georgia
    49.350 .. 49.300 49.475 49.325 197.450
    Florida
    ..49.275 ..49.400 49.175 49.525 197.375

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Thought we did really well on the bars.

8. gocartmozart

gocartmozart Sophomore

Apr 10, 2016
    I only saw the last rotation last night so I can't comment on overall judging, but.... one Georgia lady had 2 balance checks on the "balance" beam and somehow still scored a 9.925 (I think, or something close to that). That score hurt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. ApexNC

ApexNC VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Boren's score on the floor was puzzling to me. Maybe it's because of her position in the rotation, but it sure seemed better than a 9.925. Crowd didn't like that score either.

However, uga earned the win last night. We had plenty of chances and let them slip away. I agree with @gatorjjh that we have to clean up the vault. Good news is that all 6 vaults were 10 start level vaults. Disappointed in the beam for a 2nd week. Ceiling is still super high, but the last 2 meets have trended in the wrong direction.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

With one of our girls out, a particular girl (who needed to be on) had a particularly bad night.
    We increased the difficulty of the vaults last night and are moving towards being championship capable.
    Our talent is as good as the best.
    Apex is right about Boren on the Floor. But, we gave the meet away with too many errors.
    JR has yet to prove that she can get the girls to deliver their best when the lights are the brightest. Hope this is the year at Nationals. Go JR! Go Gators!

11. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Junior

May 9, 2015
    Could not agree with you more. One of our Beam performers lost her balance (and Baumann fell) and she received a 9.65.............. It was a weird scoring night for the judges and it started during our Bar routines all the way thru the Floor exercises.

12. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Junior

May 9, 2015
    John;

I must respectfully disagree with part of your assessment my friend. I thought the judging had allot to due with the outcome. It was crazy inconsistent and it started with our Bar routines and went all the thru the floor exercises. And @gocartmozart is correct, one of their Beam performers wobbled twice for a 9.925 and one wobbled once (and almost fell off) for a 9.85. We had a gal wobble once (badly) and they gave her a 9.65............ Made very little sense to me.

By the way, who was the gal on your right you were "chatting up" during the meet???????? Inquiring minds want to know..............:D:D

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    As has been noted, the ladies weren't as sharp as they could be, especially on beam. Also thought Ga got a couple of very generous beam scores. Wouldn't expect that at home.
    Correspondingly some Ky fans thought they got jobbed a bit in their meet vs Ga. Oh well, it is a subjective sport.

• Like Like x 1
  14. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    That Gal is my wife & best friend, we started going to Gymnastics back when Erneie Weaver was building the program and you could walk in and sit wherever you wanted, the only sport she has shown any interest in is Gymnastics but strongly supports my interest on Gator sports

as to the judging, I look at it just like I look at umpiring in baseball or refereeing in Basketball, sometimes it is good other times it is bad you play around it or figure out how to work around it... what I wanted to convey is that the Gators lost the match because they did not perform, vault or beam, they/we would have won had the vaults been stuck or if the beam routines been completed without the falls

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Junior

May 9, 2015
    John;

That's nice............ Was the gal next to your wife your daughter???? They were there before you showed up so I did not think you were together. That is what I get for thinking................

16. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    the other woman is a new friend of my wife's who is interested in Gator gymnastics, we have4 tix so we asked her to join us, she has already said she wants to be there for the Penn State/final home meet of the season if go lets figure a way to at least howdy up and give the Gator Country secret handshake pre-meet

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
  18. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

19. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007