Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gators not ranked in AP preseason poll

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by potomacgator, Oct 19, 2021.

1. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Ahh, I see the reverse mojo tactic has come out.

2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    2006 preseason poll had the Gators where?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Why? What has this program done in the past 6 years that would suggest that we warrant being a top 25 team this season? Unless Reeves and the transfers live up to billing, we are another Mike White 12-14 loss team again. You cannot base pre season rankings on possibly living up to billing unless you are fielding several 5-star players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

I think that Mike White is a very capable recruiter, and if he can develop the talent that he is obviously capable of convincing to come to Florida or transfer to Florida, he will have a lot of success. It is the development areas for the program that are a concern- not the acquisition of players.

5. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    This is a silly question.
    Florida is one of 8 teams in the country to win a tourney game each of the last 4 seasons. As such, Florida has consistently been one the final 32 teams playing. If you were basing preseason rankings on what teams have done in recent years - Florida would be among the very few that has . . . without interruption . . .placed itself among the season ending "top 32".
    But alas, rankings are much more so based upon personnel for the upcoming season. We can debate whether or not this roster warrants a ranking, but I don't think it matters much. The season itself will answer those questions.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Agree. Pre-season rankings have a lot to do with which teams did well last year and who they're bringing back + the blue bloods and young talent. We have too many new faces to get a handle on where to place us + we're not a blue blood or have a top recruiting class of freshmen. I think we're going to be better than most predict, especially as our seasoned new guys begin to gel

• Like Like x 1
  7. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Reality is that five teams from our conference are ranked in the top 25 while Florida is on the outside looking in. The media has picked Florida to finish 7th in the conference. Glory days, where have they gone? Chicago, as for now.

8. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Whether UF is ranked in the top-25 matters little to me right now but let me answer your first question. UF has made the NCAA Tournament each year since Mike White’s first season and being they haven’t lost a first round game, that puts you real close right there to being a top-25 team at the end of the year. And your last comment inferring that you need to have several 5-star recruits to be ranked in the preseason 25 is ridiculous. Looking at this year’s rankings there are several schools listed that don’t have a single 5-star on their roster much less several.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    My guess is that this team is boarder line Top 25, will make the tournament, and win one game.

The usual folks will then call for him to be fired.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
  11. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Dan Mullen went to 3 straight NY6 bowl games. Now look where we are. Winning with a previous coaches players and portal transfers is fools gold. You have to recruit top players each year to win championships. Mullen and White have not consistently done that. Unless it changes, don’t look for either program to win big.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    To be fair, they tend to do that quite a bit when not ranked as well.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Then you will have the usual folks that celebrate making the tournament as if they should hang a banner for such an accomplishment.

14. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    Recruiting hasn't been White's issue, it's been getting the players to consistently play to potential and develop.

15. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    A lot of it has to do with getting the right combination of players. This year's team is very intriguing IMO in that respect. I'm a bit of an optimist but I believe this team may surprise quite a few people.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1