Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(SB) Gators Lead with Four Team USA Selections (Herb Brooks)

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by gatorjjh, Jan 8, 2019.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Gators Lead with Four Team USA Selections
    Florida led all collegiate programs with the four selections to the WNT squad, while the program also had a pair of signees in Julia Cottrill and Rylee Trlicek make the United States Junior Women's National Team last week.
    Herb Brooks UF
    Oklahoma City – Former Gators Michelle Moultrie, Kelsey Stewart, Aubree Munro and Kirsti Merritt were selected by the Women's National Team Selection Committee (WNTSC) to the United States Women's National Team (WNT) Monday after Team USA held selection trails this past weekend..

"It's a tremendous honor to be able to represent your country." Florida Head Coach Tim Walton said. "I'm proud of all of our former, current and future players for giving it all they had during these highly competitive selection trials."

Florida led all collegiate programs with the four selections to the WNT squad, while the program also had a pair of signees in Julia Cottrill and Rylee Trlicek make the United States Junior Women's National Team last week.
    U.S. National Team Experience (Source: TeamUSA.org)

Aubree Munro | 2013-16 | Catcher | Team USA Selections (4 Times – 2016-19)
    World Championship Experience

• 2018 WBSC Women's World Championship Gold Medalist; Hit .389 (7-for-18) with 3 HR, 8 RBI 7 runs scored
    • 2016 WBSC Women's World Championship Gold Medalist; Hit .400 (4-for-10) with one run scored

Other Career Highlights

Gators Lead with Four Team USA Selections - Florida Gators

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. GatorGirl15

GatorGirl15 All American

Oct 10, 2008
    I’m shocked that Kelly didn’t make the roster. I guess with Cat coming of retirement that was one less pitching spot and Kelly fell victim to that. But Carda over Barnhill? Makes me scratch my head.

She’ll get one more chance this fall to make the Olympic roster. I hope she shows the world why she deserves to be part of Team USA. I guess some people have forgotten that.

I’m also pretty surprised Lorenz didn’t get a spot. Nothing against Molutrie, Merritt and Stewart but you can’t teach what Amanda has.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. alysb21

alysb21 Freshman

Jan 8, 2019
    I completely agree with you Barnhill should be there. Especially over Carda. Honestly over Garcia i feel. I too was surprised about Lorenz, but she didn’t perform like herself with the international team last year. Hopefully this lights a fire under both of them this season.

• Like Like x 4
  4. GatorGirl15

GatorGirl15 All American

Oct 10, 2008
    Someone said Rachel was picked because she can hit too, but still, I agree with you.

That makes sense about Amanda. I haven’t really followed the international team like I should be.

5. alysb21

alysb21 Freshman

Jan 8, 2019
    I would agree that Rachel was picked due to the fact that she hits, but pitching wise I completely feel like Kelly is better, and has performed better when both pitched for USA. I do feel like Amanda would be better internationally given more opportunity. She’s too good not to be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes All American

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Yeah, and crow-hopping is legal in International play, so no more complaining by the other team! :)

But seriously, Kelly has talked about how important the Olympics are to her and her emotions when it was deleted in 2012, and then how thrilled she was when it was re-added for 2020.

This has to be a pretty big gut-punch. If there is a bright side -- and there's not -- it would be that she won't be having to learn an Olympic style that's then not permitted in NCAA play.

7. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    agree on this point plus it may give her a little edge going in to this season with or Gators!

• Agree Agree x 1