Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gators in Transfer Portal

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by nattygator, May 29, 2020.

1. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Nolan Crisp and Isaac Nunez, for those who don't want to click the link.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    not a big surprise on either player, Crisp wasn't getting reps and Nunez saw Rivera starting

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Not sure what happened to Crisp since his fast start out of the bullpen in 2019. Sully tried starting him in some midweek games and it was downhill from there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm reminded of a kid we had in travel ball. He was undersized, weak arm, but was a crafty little lefty.....and nobody could hit him. We used to say his stuff was so bad the hitters couldn't adjust. Had a phenomenal summer.
    Then he grows a little, gets a little stronger, and his stuff isn't quite as bad as it was. And all of a sudden he's just a guy with below average stuff rather than awful stuff. Couldn't get anybody out.
    Wonder if getting into the strength program at UF actually brought Crisp into a similar situation

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Agreed—Don’t know if there was any kind of injury issue or not. Just straight up on performances it seemed to me at least that he came onto the D-1 scene as a freshman and was successful because he was throwing strikes down in the zone and on both sides of the plate.

The more appearances he made (again my observation) the more it seemed he was hurt throwing middle of the plate/belt high strikes with at best average velocities— he started missing badly with breaking and or off speed pitches which made 87-89 in the heart non effective to BP for the opposition.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Agree with you on Crisp but Nunez would have been very helpful if any of starters at 2nd, SS, or 3rd went down. I hope everyone stays healthy and we get a few more freshmen infielders ready to contribute.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I was surprised that Nunez wants to leave but when you look at the infielders on the roster I think he made the right decision for him

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Yep I get it. Can't blame a guy for being greedy. He has the talent to start for most other teams in Florida just not in Gainesville. Apparently Nunez doesn't want to wait around for Acton and Kirby to leave. Then again, if anyone goes down, you can always hope we bring Jacob Young back to second to show off that fluid throwing motion.

• Funny Funny x 5
  9. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Sometimes a change of scenery is exactly what is needed. Brad Lidge (damn you for that pitch to Albert Pujols in 2005!) is a great example in my opinion. After said pitch, he was never the same in Houston. He gets a new lease on life in Philly and wins a World Series.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Baseball is like backgammon: Over the long run the better teams win, but on any given night the worst can beat the best by a lot. In fact the worst team can go to the best team's park and sweep them, but not very often.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Like to see Nunez to a really good smaller school program like Stetson or JU.
    Did I read Crisp to UGA????

One other thing about Crisp....Didn’t he graduate early? Needed more time.

I remember two things- location was not what we would want. Especially 0-2 and 1-2. Velo was down from supposed 90-91 in HS.

12. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    he graduated early but was held back a year during his k-12 years so was the same age as most frosh when he arrived not like Jud who came early the same year and a year younger than most frosh

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. BSBLGATOR

BSBLGATOR VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    I know for a fact Crisp's younger brother is committed to UGA but not sure about Nolan.

14. BobbyGator72

BobbyGator72 Junior

Jan 1, 2013
    Palatka FL
    I also believe that some really good infield prospects are going to make it to campus that might not have, if the draft would have stayed at 40 rounds, I think Nunez just felt like it was not a good fit to stay. Wish him and Crisp well wherever the end up

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Who are those prospects?

16. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Yep I already have the draft ready to record to see who we keep. Either way Nunez was a very good talent and still would have competed with the best. Regardless of the numbers and where guys are drafted, I look forward to college baseball as a whole having the best talent we have ever seen on the field and at our brand new ballpark. It should be quite a year for the fans to enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    The big one is Coby Mayo, a right-handed, 6'4 third baseman who probably wouldn't make it to campus in a normal draft year. Scouts drool over him.

Sterlin Thompson's a 6'3 shortstop - another top prospect. Colby Halter is listed as a SS/RHP - don't know which way he swings, so to speak.

18. BSBLGATOR

BSBLGATOR VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Just because they do not get drafted, it doesn't necessarily mean they will make it to campus either. There are a lot of details that need to be addressed. I have heard there is still not an answer on a one or two year roster exemption. We may be one of the few schools that returns most of the roster. IF that is the case then how many openings do we have with a normal roster limit year? A few of the incoming guys may decide it is best to go the JUCO route if they want to have the opportunity to get drafted next year instead of three years. The draft not being longer hurts the draft eligible college guys as well. In a normal year we may have 3 or 4 Jr's that decide to leave for 80 or 90k but this year that will not happen. Do they transfer or what happens to those guys? The big thing is that the NCAA needs to grant a two year roster limit exception. That will help but there are still only 9 spots on any field at a given time.

My personal hunch is outside of the elite HS guys there will be more college players selected due to the fact they have more notes and scouting reports on the college players than they do on the HS guys. It appears with MiLB losing 40 teams they are trying to use the colleges to basically be there minor league system for a lot of guys. As such I think you will see a push on college guys in the draft in the next few years.

Just my two cents.......

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    E
    Lots of good stuff in here. I agree with the 2 year roster exception and the possibility more college players get drafted since HS guys have less to show. Even if their is a limit it should be given time to work its way through the system over time, not a one time jolt where coaches make tough decisions. Either way the next few weeks will be very interesting to hear what's happening with all the players.

• Agree Agree x 2