Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(WBK) Gators Host UGA Sunday added UF/UGA/Alligator Recaps

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatorjjh, Feb 8, 2020.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    UGA Game Recap: Women's Basketball | February 09, 2020
    Georgia Wins at Florida, 49-43
    GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Redshirt junior center Jenna Staiti scored in double figures for the third time in four games to lead the Georgia Lady Bulldog basketball team to a 49-43 win Sunday afternoon at the Exactech Arena.
    Staiti led all scorers with 19 points to go along with a career-high 15 rebounds. Georgia improves to 13-11 overall and 4-7 in the Southeastern Conference, while Florida falls to 12-11, 3-7 in the SEC. "I told them at half that obviously we did not have our best offensive performance and were settling for too many bad shots." head coach Joni Taylor said. "Credit our team for coming out in the third quarter and really locking in offensively. Jenna just carried us most of the night and Que played her heart out. It's not easy to win on the road, so I am just proud of our team today.

Staiti scored six of Georgia's eight points in the opening quarter as Florida took a 10-8 lead.
    Georgia then went nearly eight minutes without a basket and allowed Florida to build an 18-11 advantage. Staiti and Que Morrison kept the Lady Bulldogs in the game, scoring 13 of Georgia's 15 points in the first half. Georgia shot just 20 percent in the first two quarters and trailed 23-15 at the break.
    The Lady Bulldogs came out with a balanced effort in the second half. Staiti, Maya Caldwell, Stephanie Paul and Gabby Connally each scored in the first five minutes to put Georgia within one point — 25-24 — with 5:44 left in the third frame.
    Georgia Wins at Florida, 49-43 - University of Georgia Athletics

2. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Gators fold late, lose to Georgia at home
    Graham Marsh, Alligator Sports Writer
    In college basketball, one week is a long time.
    Florida’s women’s basketball team dropped a heartbreaker to Georgia by a score of 49-43 despite coming off of its biggest win of the year last week against Kentucky. It was Florida’s second-lowest scoring total on the season on Saturday at the O’Connell Center. Foul trouble, lack of shooting and turnovers did the Gators in.

Three things above all else cost UF in this one: turnovers, poor scoring efforts from guards Lavender Briggs and Kiara Smith and foul trouble for forward Zada Williams. Briggs and Smith finished the game combining for just 10 points despite averaging a combined 26.7 points per game heading into this matchup. And it was not for lack of trying, as Briggs took 14 shots while Smith took 10.

They just simply weren’t falling.

Smith hit one field goal all day, a transition layup off of a steal late in the fourth quarter. Briggs made just three of her attempts to finish the game at just 21 percent shooting. “I do think at times they forced some tougher shots than they had at first,” coach Cam Newbauer said. “That’s what you can do when you press a little bit, those are two players that we rely on a lot to do a lot.”

Turnovers were also a killer for Newbauer’s team all day. Florida turned the ball over 20 times, just five more than UGA’s 15, but it was the untimeliness of them. In the midst of a comeback attempt, UF turned it over twice in the final few minutes, making its degree of difficulty to claw back into it much harder.
    Gators fold late, lose to Georgia at home

3. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Very tough when you lose a game to a team you could have beaten by 15-20 points.
    The team didn't quit til the clock ran out.
    Gators win this game if the any one of these things
    Shoot their average making .400 from the field Today 18 ave 24 today or .285 from 3pt. 1 today 4+ ave.
    Defend UGA #14, she moosed her way to the basket and made 7 buckets and 5 free throws
    Drive at UGA #14 and get her in foul trouble, she ended with 1 foul
    +++++
    The way the game was called favored UGA, I don't blame the loss on that, players & coaches have to figure out early what is going to be called and what isn't.
    ---------
    For me the brightest spot was the play of Freshman Faith Dut, she recored her most minutes 18, most points 8 and most rebounds 5.

Thursday UF Hosts Ole Miss 7-15, 0-9 SEC

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Blaming Mike for the women's team, too?

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Was there and have to say it was an abysmal performance by the Lady Gators. Coming off a relavant win against Kentucky with a decend crowd against a mediocre Georgia team and laid an egg.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    On national TV as well.

7. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR GC Legend

Feb 1, 2011
    So does anyone know the official reason Emer is no longer on the team? Injury? Discipline? Homesick?

8. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Missed free throws.
    Missed a bunch of lay ups.
    Had a lot of turnovers - that is a chronic issue.
    A couple of key players were cold, too.

I sometimes think I could ref a better game than a lot of these refs....of course it would be biased toward the O&B.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    I see the only sure win is against ole Miss. Almost assured another losing season. That will be the third in a row. The worst 3 year period in women's gator basketball. Maybe they turn it around next year but I have my doubts. How long can this go on?

10. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR GC Legend

Feb 1, 2011
    They turned it around this year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Yes if you consider beating a bunch of cupcakes. Still at the bottom of the sec.

12. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 1
  13. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Sign a few 5 stars! Create and develop others to play like 5-stars!

it would be monumental for the program to field a team with a 5-star at each position. Maybe in 5 years??