Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gators freshman Justin Watkins arrested

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Diesel350z, May 10, 2018.

1. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Just wow. Nobody said you were lying or insincere, just like nobody before said you condoned assault as you pulled from nowhere. Nor is anybody "suspicious" of you. What was said was that some disagreed with this being a "BF/GF spat."

You have turned folks disagreeing with how you characterized the situation into a personal attack, which it was not. Glad it is "no skin off your back" because nobody was after skin - only concern was that the Watkins situation was treated seriously.

BTW - on another front, I think this is FAR worse than underage drinking (not drinking and driving, but drinking).

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

Bud, let it go... I have, as I doubt everyone in the thread wants to watch a p*ssing match.

3. ironhead1

ironhead1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    As I posted earlier. I think it was deleted because of my response to Therm.

Anyhooooo....

I think Mullen needs to send a message here.
    This behavior will not be tolerated.
    To me, it’s similar to Mac chewing out KT after showboating. Thought that was going to set the parameters....
    I have no idea what happened to his discipline afterwards, but that’s another thread. Or not.

Mullen needs to set the tone/parameters.

I honestly believe he should send Watkins packing. I think, for the overall perception of our program a message needs to be sent.

Mr Watkins is in the unenviable position to be the person made and example of.
    Tough shit.

I have a quick temper. Very quick. I’ve been involved in several altercations over the years. I would NEVER get in an altercation with a woman. I’ve been tested several times on this. Several.

It’s not something you can turn off without experience... and AGE.

He’s a young man, he will learn, he will be better after he’s held Accountable for his actions.

I say.
    Bye bye.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Well he's gone if he doesn't watch it. He was skirting a number of felony charges and in today's environment could land him in prison. He has to understand he's an adult and assaulting a woman is grounds for getting kicked off the team, any team. No team will take a young man who stalks women and then what?

He easily could have been hit with grand larceny, which in Florida is a felony. This may be added to his charges later on.

To prove Grand Theft at trial, the prosecution must establish the following three elements beyond a reasonable doubt:

1. The defendant knowingly and unlawfully obtained or used or endeavored to obtain or use the property of another;
    2. The defendant did so with the intent to temporarily or permanently (a) deprive the victim of his or her right to the property or any benefit from the property, or (b) appropriate the property of the victim to his or her own use or to the use of any person not entitled to it; and
    3. The property was valued at $300 or more.
    Considering he destroyed her phone and he was stupid enough to get recorded at a gas station video camera, his defense is going to be very weak.

5. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

It’s been my understanding that he didn’t asssult the woman.

I’m typically the hard guy here when it comes to players breaking the law, but we still don’t know what she did to piss him off that bad - and as I said in another post, did it have anything to do with that phone of hers?

As just one example, could she have possibly taken pictures of him with that phone and put them out there on the net? Compromising pictures perhaps? Could she have possibly slandered him in a FB post with that phone? You get the idea...

Maybe she deserved to have that device taken from her and destroyed. What he did does in fact qualify as breaking the law, no argument there. But we still don’t know his side of the story, and unless any new information has come to light, he didn’t hit her.

I only pitch this argument as the potential justification for keeping him and letting him work it off, as opposed to cutting him from the team. If he hit her then that’s a different situation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm of the same mind. To me what he did was crap arguing with his GF and taking it to far. If he gets charged further so be it. How many incidents of this type occur among college students every day.

Having said that, he took it too far and has obviously got some issues he needs to get control of. It's bordering on violence and the slap or punch really isn't that far away.

He needs some significant discipline to show both him and the team that is not acceptable. I certainly wouldn't dismiss him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    San Francisco
    I am sure Mullen has a plan, but this kid is known trouble. Most backed off of recruitimg him because of this. We need difference makers now, but we really need to get to a point where we stay away from kids like this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    Smh....

9. ncg8or

ncg8or GC Legend

May 28, 2007
    UF will provide this kid what he needs to get his issues under control, and more importantly give him a chance to mature away from his homies. I don't know about this kid specifically, but a lot of these kids come to UF and it's the 1st time in their life they've had structure, support, and discipline to allow them to grow up.

Smh at a lot of these comments here...it's not time to give up on the kid, it's time to support him.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    The cure for this kind of BS..........all day long.........

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ironhead1

ironhead1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Hey
    I know my post sounded harsh.
    I think it’s an issue with our program overall.
    Our national perception.
    I’m sorry, I think a message need to be sent.

Too bad that Watkins ends up being the unlucky person for the message.

That being,
    We are NOT going to tolerate unlawful behavior at the Unversity of Florida.

Maybe three years from now, running the bleachers will suffice for a so called , “ first time offense”.

Not now.
    Not after what we’ve been through the last 6 years.

12. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It was such an incident (I don't recall the specifics) that prompted former interim UF president Robert Bryan (who hired Steve Spurrier) to state, "We are not going to recruit thugs."

Maybe that quote should be memorialized in the same area as the Tim Tebow statement.

• Like Like x 3
  13. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I’d bet the farm that Mullen promised these kids parents that he would take care of their son. Sending him packing after an incident where nobody got hurt is sending a different message to future players mommas. Give him a chance to straighten out. After that, I’m fine with no second strike. They got their chance.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee FL
    good stuff

15. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    Not to go all SJW here, but you might want to research Dating/Domestic Violence Warning Signs. Unless you were being sarcastic.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Not sure we can say nobody got hurt.

17. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    How many times have we given 2nd and 3rd chances and it ends up burning us? I am all for 2nd chances and I am not saying we should kick him off the team, but lets not pretend that all of these kids always mature under our guidance. There are too many kids to watch, new homies and bad influences. It’s a lot harder to stay clean in college than HS.

18. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I’m not condoning what he did at all. It’s pretty dumb actually. But he had every opportunity to hit her. But he smashed her phone and car instead. That at least shows he knows there is a line he can’t cross. Punish him, give him a chance to straighten out. On the other hand, if he put his hands on a woman....send him packing.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    I think that is taking too much from a single incident. I dont think we can assume his moral lines from a single incident.

That said, punish him, teach him, help him, and move fwd.

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I wasn't saying you were. I think that there was a victim and we really don't know how "hurt" she is. Maybe he was smart enough to not do it because he was out in public. We really don't know what his line is. We also don't know what set this off. Could have been something really small. Maybe he would have reacted differently if it was worse.

I am not saying we need to throw him off the team, but I certainly wouldn't say that putting his hands on her is the line. I was only pointing out that there was harm done.