Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gators freshman Justin Watkins arrested

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Diesel350z, May 10, 2018.

1. Diesel350z

Diesel350z GC Hall of Fame

Apr 29, 2007
    The career of Justin Watkins is not off to a good start.

The former FSU, LSU and Texas commit, and 2018 Florida signee found himself in some trouble late yesterday afternoon. Watkins was arrested and booked into the Marion County Jailyesterday at 3:48pm for trespassing on school grounds, which is a misdemeanor. Watkins was subsequently released at 2:37am this morning on a $500 bond.

Watkins is expected to play both wide receiver and defensive back at Florida, and how (or if) this will hinder his quest to do so remains unknown. It’s certainly not the worst crime a kid can commit, but it’s not exactly going to help him out, either- particularly with a new head coach who would like to make a statement about what won’t fly under his watch.

2. TEKgator22

TEKgator22 GC Legend

Nov 30, 2008
    VA
    And the hits just keep coming.....

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. TWGator

TWGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Interested to hear what the circumstances of the trespassing were...

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life All American

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    Unless there is a really ugly backstory, this is a little worse than barking at a police dog, but well short of most of the getting in trouble stories that we've experienced since at least Zook was here. Certainly less serious than an underage drinking charge.

• Agree Agree x 13
  5. MtownGator

MtownGator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 1, 2012
    Memphis,Tn
    Things must have changed since I went to school. I'll wait for more info.

• Like Like x 1
  6. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    I'm guessing it wasn't his school?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Nic

Nic All American

Jan 26, 2010
    Tampa Bay Times:

"One of the Florida Gators' top incoming recruits was released from jail early Wednesday after police allege he kicked a female's car and broke her phone after an argument.

Justin Watkins — a four-star athlete from Clermont — and an unnamed female had a verbal argument last week. Watkins then took her cell phone, left and later threw it on the ground, shattering its screen, according to a probable cause affidavit obtained Thursday by the Tampa Bay Times.

Watkins followed the female to the student parking lot at a Marion County high school. He then kicked her car and tried to let air out of the tires — an action confirmed by the school's video surveillance.

Because Watkins was not a student at the unnamed high school, he was arrested Tuesday afternoon on a misdemeanor complaint of trespassing on school grounds. According to jail records, he was released at 2:37 a.m. on $500 bond.

Watkins attended three schools, most recently at East Ridge. Regarded as one of the top 100 prospects in the nation, he finished his prep career with 56 total touchdowns and almost 4,000 yards of offense."

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. ncg8or

ncg8or GC Legend

May 28, 2007
    Love (or hate) makes you do stupid things, like this. 12 extra laps around the indoor PF young man!

• Like Like x 1
  9. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Not excepting no for an answer is troubling as he is going to hear it again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    I wonder if the girl was a student there and if not, was she arrested for trespassing. If not, UF should file a complaint against the SO for targeting our student-athletes.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. AlfaGator

AlfaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2007
    He sounds like a "flat" leaver.;)

12. wygator

wygator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 31, 2010
    Propensity to act out violently. Not good for off the field activities. Will this ever end?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  13. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Could be immature behavior, which can change. Most of us did stupid stuff in HS.
    What bothers me about this is his rage and his actions toward a female.
    That's another level from just "stupid stuff."

Not a good sign.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Ummm. No. I know folks from Clermont and word there is this kid is capital T trouble, and his public past has plenty of red flags. I posted about not wanting Lobster Willie types, and that applies here.

The saving grace here is he did not hit the young woman, but grabbing things from her and destroying property is not a "laps" infraction. Were I Mullen I would insist on counseling, add extra workout/school/charity requirements to keep this kid busy, and give him damn strict rules of behavior that if he does not meet, he is gone. This is clearly not something the kid should be abandoned over but this kid needs a lot of work or there will be another incident judging by his past.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    It's ridiculous that some people think this is no big deal (based on the information available). Not saying we need to kick him off the team at this point, but at the very least there should be a zero tolerance moving forward for him.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Good luck with that. If he did what they allege he did, he's lucky he only got a trespass charge.

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    It was her high school.
    4-star Florida signee arrested on trespassing charges

Also from her statement this could have been a lot worse.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Unfortunately I have to think more charges will follow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Gf/bf spat.

Nothing much here.

Just keep your nose clean Justin.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Looks like Mullen forgot about the biggest obstacle ANY UF coach faces in trying to be a successful coach:

GREASE the GPD!

• Disagree Disagree x 1