Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gators Fall to JU 8-4 (UF Recap)

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by gatorjjh, Apr 18, 2018.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Jacksonville Downs Gators 8-4 in Midweek Action
    UF Game Recap Daniel Apple

WHAT HAPPENED: Jacksonville ended the Gators' win streak on Tuesday night with an 8-4 win at McKethan Stadium. The visitors scored in four straight innings and Florida could never catch them, stranding 13 runners on base in the game.

IN THE SPOTLIGHT: Jonathan India – India went 2-for-4 on the night with a pair of RBI, extending his hitting streak to 24 games, tying Bobby Forbes (did it in 1948) for the third-longest streak in school history. India trails only Brad Wilkerson (26 games, 1996-97) and Tim Olson (29 games, 2000).

FROM THE COACH: Head coach Kevin O'Sullivan on tonight's game: "We just couldn't come up with the big hit, we left 13 on base. It's hard to win games like that. We just pitched okay, a couple positives I thought Hunter [McMullen] threw the ball well in the eighth and Churchill pitched well in the ninth. In between they put some good swings on some balls. We got Langworthy back on the mound, he hadn't pitched in a while, then we got Horvath on the mound because he hadn't pitched in a while. It was just one of those night."

read the full UF recap at:Jacksonville Downs Gators 8-4 in Midweek Action

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Got to appreciate the fact that Sully responds with answers--not rants or whining--

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    amen, he had a plan for the game it just didn't work out. JU hitters were hot and our arms were not shall we say 'fine tuned'. I'd pay to watch India in the field, he has been phenomenal, so much attention on his hitting and the streakbut the guy saves runs almost every single game, the whole team fields well but man he is Brooks Robinson esque at the Hot corner.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I have seen comments about India's defensive quality on this board and D1Baseball.Com. He seems to have great range from everything I have seen and fielding percentage isn't the be all end all of stats. That said, he is fielding at a .972 clip (he did play a small bit at SS but I don't know his stat splits). Is .972 that high for a 3B? I honestly don't know.

5. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 All American

Jun 8, 2007
    One does not simply walk into a comparison to Brooks Robinson.

I watched him live in Memorial Stafium in Baltimore many time in the 69, 70 and 71 seasons. I have found no one to compare with Brooks. To even hint of defense of that calibre is lofty praise, indeed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I don't know either. I did not find a college stat on 3rd basemen fielding % but I did check the MLB Almanac and the highest career & was Brooks Robinson who had .971.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I agree, which is why I said 'esque', not sure anyone compares with Brooks, grew up a Yankee & White Sox fan but always loved to watch BR play around the 3rd sack. I think India would pull an aw shucks at the comparison but he makes difficult plays seem routine and impossible plays simply spectacular. One of the things that makes me such an India fan as a fielder is watching so many teams at the Mac who have lost base after base and in some cases run after runbbecause of poor fielding abetted by low Baseball situational IQ. India is tremendous at both. Maybe naming Brooks as a comparative was a bit of hyperbole but he is a Gator after all as am I. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Just looking at 3B around the SEC (and not all are solid/regular starters):

Tyler Keenan (Ole Miss) .983 (42 assists, 15 putouts, 1 error)
    Jonah Bride (South Carolina) .980 (75 assists, 23 putouts, 2 errors)
    Jonathan India (FLORIDA) .972 (84 assists, 20 putouts, 3 errors)
    Cobie Vance (Alabama) .964
    Luke Heyer (Kentucky) .950
    Justin Foscue (MSU) .946
    Alex Samples (Mizzou) .945
    Jake Slaughter (LSU) .940
    Casey Martin (Arkansas) .939
    Brandon Chinea (Tennessee) .923
    George Janca (TAMU) .919
    Aaron Schunk (Dwags) .916
    Josh Anthony (Auburn) .911
    Jayson Gonzalez (Vandy) .880

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Informative Informative x 3
  9. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Nice post - thanks
    I tried to find a site, tried NCAA & ESPN was there an SEC site that compiles these stats or did you have to go school by school?

10. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee FL
    Unlike some of the other coaches we have had.

• Agree Agree x 1