Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gators Fall in Finale to Vanderbilt (Apple's Recap)

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by gatorjjh, Mar 23, 2019.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Game Recap: Baseball | Saturday, March 23, 2019 | Daniel Apple
    Gators Fall in Finale to Vanderbilt
    Florida took its first lead of the weekend in the third inning when Brady Smith led off with a solo home run to left field. The Gators added another run as Jacob Young sprinted home on a wild pitch.
    After retiring the first nine batters, Tyler Dyson ran into trouble in the fourth. Cooper Davis started the rally with a bunt single and three batters later Stephen Scott stole the momentum with a grand slam to give the Dores a 4-2 lead.
    FROM THE COACH: Head Coach Kevin O'Sullivan – On today's game: "I thought [Dyson] threw the ball pretty good. I think they scored seven runs on two swings of the bat. That's the second start in a row that Tyler's kept us in the ballgame. I think going back to the inning we gave up four runs on the grand slam, it was probably the walk to Bleday that got him in trouble. The bunt was perfectly executed, then I thought he made a decent pitch to Austin Martin, got it in on him, but it fell in front of Jud. The walk after him was the one that probably hurt him the most, other than the grand slam.
    "It was a difficult lineup to navigate the whole weekend. They ran seven left-handed hitters out there and we have three right-handed starters. The one takeaway from today, Tyler did throw the ball better. I thought his mechanics were better, he got on top of the ball better. That's certainly something to build upon moving forward."
    Gators in Finale to Vanderbilt - Florida Gators

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    This got a chuckle: “I think they scored seven runs on two swings of the bat.”

Revealing. A lot of the woes are our own undoing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Stark reality—

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    how I seeit this morning: a long row to hoe to stay relevant in the SEC and perhaps beyond but the talent is there and the staff will work their butts off (and the players' as well) I believe they have the right mind set as a squad but right now Sully & company have to get into the players' heads and rebuild some confidence, they have all been winners and have it inside to come back to that standard

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    jjh—

Agreed. The SEC is as strong as ever with the true power distributed in a few different directions this year obviously—

As we all know MSU and Vandy are both veteran and strong—UGA, UT, and AU have all started stronger than their norm—Corndogs were rated high to start with (as were our Gators) but IMHO they seem to play somehow above their talent level—

I agree Sully has recruited and placed great talent in the Gators dugout—time and experience will put our hitters into the position of learning intense but controlled AB’s—in the same vein our pitchers have to learn how to attack the strike zone outside of the “x” in the heart aggressively and not nibble themselves into hitter’s counts—

It will all take time but I’m confident it will happen—

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. spikesnlaces

spikesnlaces Freshman

Feb 10, 2017
    This is obvious . Catching, MIF, pitching in general is just not top SEC caliber this year. Don’t see the first two changing but perhaps the pitching comes around . We all have known for 10 years now that we recruit hitters and hope they hit . No dedicated hitting coach to navigate rough waters and keep the positive mojo in players heads. Of all the strengths this staff has , which are plentiful, positive reinforcement is just not their style . Can’t be everything to all so I accept that . Will be very interesting to see if Lang and Dalton keep getting starts . I personally think Will Dalton with his 20 bombs last year should get a season to figure it out. We aren’t going anywhere without getting a contribution from him down the stretch that resembles what we saw last year . I am hearing the tension is pretty thick with him and staff and can only hope that smooths out because it will clearly be best for all. GO GATORS!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    heard a little of that a few weeks ago but never was able to nail anything down