Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(W-TEN) Gators added another match next weekend

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by oragator1, Apr 9, 2019.

1. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
  2. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Very smart, and likely very necessary

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Hmmmm interesting.

I like how they play before the O&B game...and then after.

I was wondering what to do between the football and baseball games this Saturday.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Don't like 2 in one day, with they could have gotten a match on Sunday. But the tough match is first, so they can shuffle in some other girls in the afternoon

5. G2MGA

G2MGA GC Legend

Aug 30, 2007
    Usually teams have to play doubleheaders in this scenario because tennis has a limit on competition dates, not matches. Doesn't really seem like a good thing for the athletes, but there have been a decent number of teams doing it now ever since the NCAA put in the .500 rule some years back.

I figured our program was above this shameless tactic, but I guess not lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    hate to say this, and i may get roasted for it, but is reminds me of fsu 2 years ago scheduling a game to keep their bowl streak alive and everyone condemmed them, how is this differant?

7. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Not much different....except one was for a rather meaningless bowl and streak and this is to try to get into the NCAA’s. Also, the gators are positioned to be a 2-seed in the regionals - looking at rankings. Of course, they could drop with 2 possible losses this weekend. But a regional 2 -seed is top 32. To be a top 30 +/- rated team and not make the ncaa’s Would be a shame.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    And now they have canceled the match...I assume beating Michigan assures a 500 record so it's not necessary. Don't really like the gamesmanship, but I guess that's reality

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I was actually wondering if they would do this, nothing to gain now and a lot to lose - even with a win, injuries in an extra match the same day were a real risk. And a loss, however unlikely would have been devastating. Plus our RPI would go down not up from it, even with a win,
    I would hope that we were up front with SVSU about our intentions and cut them a check either way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm sure they will be taken care of.....I think my mood is driven by the foolishness that we had to schedule the thing to begin with

• Agree Agree x 1