Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gators' 2019 Signing Class Ranked No. 1 by D1Baseball

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by gatorjjh, Dec 23, 2019.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Monday, December 23, 2019
    Gators' 2019 Signing Class Ranked No. 1 by D1Baseball
    Zach Dirlam UAA
    Florida had the No. 2 class in both 2015 and 2017, but this is its first-ever No. 1 signing class, per D1Baseball.com
    GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Excitement is building for the return of Florida Baseball, and one of the nation's most prominent collegiate baseball media outlets, D1Baseball.com, added a little extra buzz this past week. The site ranked Florida's freshman class No. 1 nationally.

D1Baseball.com writer Aaron Fitt said this of the Gators' newcomers:
    "Florida's recruiting machine just keeps rolling along. The Gators reel in premium talent year after year under coach Kevin O'Sullivan, but this is their first No. 1 class in the D1Baseball rankings, after landing No. 2 classes in 2015 and 2017, the No. 5 class in 2016, and the No. 10 class in 2018. This year's crop features high-end star power and depth, and several of the freshmen showed this fall that they're ready to become instant stars, helping the Gators vault to the No. 1 spot.

"The backbone of Florida's class is a group of four marquee freshmen who all look poised to hit the ground running, and all offer legitimate first-round upside by the time their college careers are through. LHP Hunter Barco flashed prodigious upside in high school, but he looked far more polished this fall than he did last spring. Barco has a real chance to earn a weekend rotation spot as a freshman, and RHP Brandon Sproat has a ceiling "as high as anybody we've ever had here," as O'Sullivan put it. Sproat, an unsigned seventh-round pick, is less advanced than Barco, but the Gators are deep enough to bring him along at his own pace, and he could wind up as a Friday night All-American before his Florida career is over.

Gators' 2019 Signing Class Ranked No. 1 by D1Baseball - Florida Gators

• Like Like x 4
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Sully being Sully.....:ninja3:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    The 2017 class was ranked #2. That class would include Leftwich, Mace, Brady Smith, Jordan Butler. Last year’s class was #10 and UF had more contributors from that class than 2017 right?

I need to go through the roster again but I can’t think of a huge group of JRs.

The 2015 class would have been JRs when Mace and Co were freshmen. That would be Brady Singer, Jonathan India, and Jackson Kowar. Some of those guys panned out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Fulsome praise for Sproat:

"Sproat, an unsigned seventh-round pick, is less advanced than Barco, but the Gators are deep enough to bring him along at his own pace, and he could wind up as a Friday night All-American before his Florida career is over."

And I hadn't heard much of anything about Nathan Hickey, but this sure stands out:

"And catcher/third baseman Nathan Hickey is a natural born hitting machine who could step right into the cleanup spot, where he hit in both of Florida's fall exhibitions against Georgia and South Florida. O'Sullivan compared him to a young Kyle Schwarber because of his innate hitting instincts and compact lefthanded stroke with power potential."

• Like Like x 5
  5. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Exactly correct on this year's class of juniors. Those are the main 4. We have a few others on the roster (Greenfield, Milchin, H McMullen, Alintoff) but if we can get over losing Leftwich and Mace after this year, that first year at the new park is going to be extra special with guys like Fabian, Young, Calilao, Acton, Rivera, Hickey, Powell, Nunez, Barco, Nesbitt and Sproat to go along with next year's freshmen.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Sully gets it done son. That guys a savage on the trail

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Hickey had a good fall, made an impression and going to be battling for a starter slot

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BSBLGATOR

BSBLGATOR VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Ok since someone is going to say it I will be the one to do it.............You know Crisp and Fabian should have been in this class too. Last year they were both supposed to be in high school. :D:D:D:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  9. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Here's hoping Hickey has good defensive skills.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. salt72

salt72 Freshman

Sep 29, 2019
    Hickey is the best player no one talks about. Sully has him batting 4th and he played on one of the better travel ball team’s in the country and played shortstop and caught as well. Hell of a ball player.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Just an fyi for the gang here -

PreSeason practice is but a month away!

Yes!!!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    looking forward to the practice starting and to see the revised roster

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    This thread is getting me excited for gator baseball! ...was hoping gator hoops, at this juncture, would be occupying my undivided attention, and i’d Be fully engaged in gator hoops, but alas,...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
  16. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Yes I'm getting anxious as well. I'll be checking those practice schedules to see what will work. It might be only on weekends if my schedule fills up. Course I could fill it up with baseball practices instead.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. GornGator

GornGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Winter Park, FL.
    Can't wait to see these guys start playing on the diamond soon.
    GO GATORS!!!! ALL CHOMP!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Sully coached / Gator strong....

Let’s do this!

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Swung by the new venue....it’s impressive from the road.

There is a big blank wall, though...(right now it’s blank, of course), along Hull Road at the intersection with museum road. I think it’s a retaining wall for the outfield berm. (Would have preferred it more “natural”).

Will that wall / edge have gator baseball supergraphics on it? (E.g the dogpile in Omaha?)

20. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    No, the extra large wall will be needed for all the many national championships to be recognized over the life of that stadium. Insider info would also tell you its designed for many upgrades when the time comes. Just putting my positive spin on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1