Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gators’ receiving roster among most talented in country (Andreu)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorjjh, Jul 21, 2019.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Gators’ receiving roster among most talented in country
    Robbie Andreu Gvl Sun
    We break down the 2019 Florida football team by position group. This week a look at the receivers.

The upside
    This could be the deepest, most experienced and most talented group of wide receivers the Gators have put on the field in more than a decade.

Everybody’s back from last season — Van Jefferson, Josh Hammond, Trevon Grimes, Freddie Swain, Kadarius Toney and Tyrie Cleveland. Those six combined for 146 receptions for 1,973 yards and 21 touchdowns last season.

So, this is a proven, productive group that figures to put up even bigger numbers in Year 2 of coach Dan Mullen’s offense, as quarterback Feleipe Franks continues his development under Mullen and quarterbacks coach Brian Johnson.

The addition of the two transfers last season — Jefferson and Grimes — provided a big boost to an already solid and experienced group and gave it great depth.
    Jefferson led the Gators with 35 receptions for 503 yards and six touchdowns and is coming off an excellent summer in which he’s sharpened his route-running skills.

The downside
    The Gators have a lot of potential at tight end, but not much in the way of production.

Gators' receiving roster among most talented in country

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    The first year TE’s have more athletic ability and upside than last year’s seniors who got more snaps. IMO, Pitts, Krull and Gamble will be a huge boost to the ‘19 passing game. They will be more than formidable after a game or two.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    excellent insight right on target

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    our receivers should play with a collective chip on their shoulders, as NONE made any of the preseason SEC first, second or third teams.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    More bulletin board material for Georgia!!!!!!

6. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Franks should be able to toss it around the ballpark pretty easily this year with all these guys. When a TE or two get in the mix it will be an embarrassment of riches. Toney should have a break out year too and be used more, one would hope. Pretty hard to defend those guys. The media really aren't respecting them-which is okay. The weaponry is quite respectable.

Go Gators.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    There will be a mismatch (or two) every play that isn't victory formation. FF just needs to see it before he snaps the ball.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    the play caller ain't half bad either :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    They are #2 as a unit (behind Bama) in the conference, in virtually every pre-season mag. So I wouldn’t say they aren’t respected. But if there is some hesitation with some, I think it has more to do with the uncertainty with the OL and what we’ll see from Franks than it does the WR talent.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I think this is really the OL performance is the biggest question and will be until we see them on the field in game one

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    It is going to be fun to have 3 or 4 deep threats instead of one, especially when one of them is a 6’6”, 245 pound TE.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan Senior

Mar 17, 2019
    I agree that UF has one of the best collections of pass catching groups whether it's a wide receiver, TE, or RB. Yet, only one player made preseason all SEC. The media in Birmingham is the biggest Bama Homer's in the world. I don't even know why other SEC teams try.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  13. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Like I said before in another thread... I'd rather have a veteran QB, all these veteran skill players, and a less-experienced OL than the other way around.

I will say right now that UF has the best receiver corps, as well as possibly a top 10 - 12 backfield, and most likely one of the top 15 QB's (probably better) in the nation this year. They will take a lot of pressure off the younger O-linemen we're breaking in this year, but we have just enough veterans there to really make this a potentially scary offense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Nostradamus

Nostradamus All American

Sep 18, 2015
    Don’t forget about Copeland...hopefully he sees the field this season.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Yep I was wanting to say the same thing. Its easy to think receiving production should go up but if Franks doesn't have time to throw he will start looking for places to run. I'm sure the signal caller will have plenty of short range passes dialed in if we need them. I'm not saying the O line will have troubles but like you say we need to see them on the field to know what to expect.

• Like Like x 1
  16. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    We rotate 11 guys... and we don’t put the ball in the air as much as others. You are not going to have many all-whatever WR when 9 players on the team all have between 20-35 catches and 300-500 yds. It just is what it is but it doesn’t mean they think we suck. The numbers just won’t wow anyone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan Senior

Mar 17, 2019
    Yet, the Alabama reserve TE made 3rd string all SEC.

18. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    I’m not arguing that Bama doesn’t get preferential treatment. The Bama bump does exist. Was just pointing out that our WR corps hasn’t gone unnoticed as some seem to think.

• Like Like x 1
  19. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Miami has a very solid DL too. Theyre not Bama or LSU caliber but theyre going to be good regardless. We should know where our OL is by the time this game is over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    I can’t wait til we can have our cake and eat it too