Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator players considering opting out of 2020 season

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Ahab, Aug 3, 2020.

1. prisch1

prisch1 Freshman

Apr 3, 2007
    I've got no problem with any player who opts out for concerns about contracting COVID. But it would be illogical to then have said player around the team in any capacity so I think they would be on their own and heck you would assume said player would want to be on their own and completely separate from the team as well. So hopefully this isn't even an issue.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Agree with all. I would say that they would need to avoid the team for more reasons than being a distraction, though. They would actually be an unecessary risk to the team members that choose to play because they would be bringing their uncontrolled environment into contact with the hopefully more sanitized football program environment. Nothing to gain by continued contact with the team and everything to lose. Opt out if you like, then step away.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Assuming they have a year of eligibility left it can use a red shirt this year.

Opting out doesn't give you an extra year of eligibility.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

You forgot to mention the part where nobody is forcing them to play football.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ofmgator

ofmgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Oh so now it's safer to not play football where you have excellent medical, care and are tested regularly,and just become part of the general public where there is no program for testing etc. Makes sense to me to opt out of a program that has paid for your education.Leaving your teammates behind is horrid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mkfgator

mkfgator Junior

Aug 28, 2019
    Well if they are really opting out for fear of getting the virus, we shouldn't expect them to be near the facilities/team. Interesting what would happen if the new commits who may be leaving high school early make comments about seeing players opt out as an opportunity to steal a job or at least get more early PT. If a receiver commit said that publicly, a guy like Copeland would have a little more to think about.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Toney lost his brother to Covid-19? That's pretty hard to argue with

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    This is potentially the money year for all three. I’ve got to believe that if healthy they could put even more big plays on their highlight reel. I wonder if those they would have contact with are any less likely to be exposed to the virus than their teammates. Hope they make the choice that protects and benefits them long term.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    [​IMG]

10. bigkid12

bigkid12 All American

Sep 18, 2007
    I don't think that's Toney's brother. Maybe his bro.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. urbangirl

urbangirl VIP Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Yep, living in the moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. recongator

recongator Senior

Nov 26, 2017
    Clearly this generation will never be confused with the Greatest generation

• Funny x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  13. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Great post !!! Anyone disagreeing needs to get their priorities in order

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

You do have a great point

15. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Not to mention defeating the purpose of their decision to opt out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    T
    oney and Cope need this season if they expect to play on Sundays anytime soon. I of course respect whatever decisions they make, it’s their life and their health. It could be worth millions to both though and a hard decision.

17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It may when all is said and done and probably should. Don’t get me wrong, I’d play. I haven’t missed a day of work ( no unemployment for business owners) so laying around really isn’t an option but these guys do have options. Hard to pass up being drafted in a few short months though if your career is on the bubble. Kids that are neck and neck for draft spots that play will reap the rewards. Tough choice if your scared but my worthless opinion is that these athletes have very minor risk but it’s their risk.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Most programs in America would've paid for their "education," let's not act like University of Florida is doing them some sort of favor. You may see it as "leaving teammates behind," they see it as protecting their bodies and health, which should come first and foremost before anything.

19. 1truegator

1truegator Regular guy Premium Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Planet earth
    So if that is what these young men need to do then do it. Move on, separate yourself
    Completely their right to separate and protect themselves. So go ahead and separate, give the next guy and the coaches a heads up and best wishes. Jim Brown has it exactly right When

20. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Football is dead. It might take a decade to fix all of the issues about to hit the sport. Actually, you can add all sports that go from HS --> College --> Pro. High schools are playing but some are electing to cancel the season. We'll see how that pans out. So you have to treat all HS seniors as if they were injured for 2020. That will impact ratings big time. A 4 star player in their junior year might be considered a 3 star entering his freshman year of college because a case can be made that he is in worse shape as college freshman than when he was rated as a 4 star. Then, if the NCAA allows current players to redshirt, that impacts all of the entering freshmen. So if UF decides to cancel 2020 and the NCAA redshirts the entire team, what happens to scholarship counts when the entering freshmen add to a team that already has the max number of scholarship players? Now we all know that won't happen. Our current seniors won't stay even if their combines suck. Some juniors will forego too. So a few would open up slots but what if not enough age out? Do we tell the freshmen sorry, no room for you so we take away your scholarship or rip up their LOI?