Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Guard NIL Announced

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by GatorPlanet, Apr 21, 2022.

1. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Interestingly, it doles out the cash only to players that play the guard positions on the football and basketball teams. Hence the name. Alex Klatsky will make more $$$ than Anthony Richardson.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    well played

4. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Looks like we'll be running a 5-guard offense

5. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Should it say committed or “bought”? Have a good year, enter the portal and get a guaranteed NIL moving forward. Highest bidder.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    It's getting harder by the day for me to remain a college hoops fan.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. traubgator

traubgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yea, these deals aren't NIL, they are clearly just paying players to attend university X.
    It's not name, image, and likeness at all!

I'd assume athletics departments now are going to be losing money since all these "collections" want alumni to donate to them? Are they set up as non-profits so they are considered donations? seems like a load of BS, how is paying someone a donation.

Cleary the schools are all quasi involved in this and it's not supposed to be used a recruiting tool.

Prove on the court that you deserve to have me by your tshirt or jersey etc. I'd supported the 04's all day and tebow, tebow probably would have given it all to charity.
    These kids are getting guaranteed money before they even step on the court or field.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    I just wish the authorities whomever they are just say this is over !!
    The inmates are truly running the asylum. They knew that this was going to happened. The players got what they wanted! If I ever hear “student athletes “ again I’ll puke. This is a joke . Harvard could probably raise more cash than any school in America and have the top athletic programs
    I’m almost at the kiss my ass stage , by next year I will be

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    My hope, - Harvard wins BBall and Football - serve the SEC right and they could certainly do it because they have the cash.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    LIES. You will still be here a year for now and will still be b*tchin up a storm!

• Like Like x 1
  12. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Now that NIL rules the college landscape, maybe the NCAA needs to go back to the old rules of having to sit out a year if you transfer. I was in favor of the portal up 'til now, but money changes everything.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Eh. You're probably right in this case but it's not like people can't change. I already started tuning out years ago. I used to have to set my schedule to college football and basketball games. I started losing interest in college basketball years ago except for the Gators with the proliferation on one and done. College football got boring to me with the willful ignorance the media and fans have exhibited while pretending Bama, Georgia, lsu etc are just great "recruiters" as they hoard talent year after year but I still watched the Gators.

I'm mostly checked out myself with the exception of the curiosity that I have to see how this all shakes out in the short term because if there are no changes to either NIL,Portal or both then I will have no problem walking away. Some of that is me just getting older and changing priorities but some of that is a genuine distaste for the prospective landscape of college sports.

NFL actually became more enjoyable for me because there was no facade. I'm OK with NIL in its most genuine form but that is not what is happening.

I get the frustration of hearing people continuously stomping their feet while proclaiming their disinterest but that's their right just as it is yours to take exception to those complaints in turn. To each their own.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    “This new, exclusive, very influential group of high-net-worth Gators is being run by @HughHathcock and has raised $3 million in 24-hours.”

What a pretentious, nauseating tweet.
    This is what college athletics has become… overtly so.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    i agree.
    My love for Gators basketball, and college hoops, will die hard. But it has certainly seen healthier days.
    I’m disgusted.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Excellent post

17. charliecasey

charliecasey Senior

Feb 8, 2017
    I think we are all getting burned out on this NIL poop. It’s been hard enough following college basketball and football the last 10 or so years with all the obvious shenanigans going on. Now the NIL comes along and takes it to another level. Maybe I can get a job driving WingTees golf cart on Saturdays, while he smokes stogies and belts back IPA’s.

18. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    At least now it is in the open for a lot of schools.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Not exactly a ringing endorsement for the current state of affairs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Yeah, it's gonna be interesting when these high rollers start disagreeing with coaches and/or the AD. They're essentially buying our teams now, so how far will they go in asserting their will in hiring of coaches, pushing for PT for their big money players, etc? Not going down a good path at all

• Creative Creative x 1