Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Commit. 4* 2020 Cornerback Jahari Rogers...

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bobbybaker86, Jun 30, 2019.

1. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    You think UF is the #1 school for DB development and has been historically??

2. chuckgator

chuckgator Sophomore

Nov 19, 2018
    Charleston, SC
    1. I said specifically that "if you keep your eyes to active NFL talent produced" you can make that argument. Sure- there are a million different ways to define DBU and judge the validity of the claim- that's why it's fun to debate!

2. Tommy Casanova would take umbrage by your sentiment that LSU just woke up in the late 2000s and started playing in the secondary. One of the all time greats at the position, for any team, at any time, ever. Laron Landry, Steltz, Corey Webster, and Morris Claiborne were also LSU AA in the 2000s (around the time of Keiwan, Lito, and getting into the Haden, Nelson, Wright era - Wright BTW was not an All American performer at Florida- did he deserve to be is another debate), the cowboys DB coach was an all american there in the late 80s (around the time we had Louis Oliver). And i think we can mostly all agree that LSU sucked much of the 90s - i think they went like six years in a row with losing records - but aside from Fred Weary, what other DB of ours can you point to in that decade?

I'd love to loudly proclaim UF is DBU, no doubt, no competition...but I think that's just looking at the world through orange and blue glasses if you can't possibly understand why anyone would make an argument for another school.

BTW- just using LSU as the example here...if someone wants to do the same with Bama, Ohio State, Ronnie Lott/Tim Mcdonald/Troy Polamalu/Adoree's Southern Cal or (dare I say it for fear of being banned) Deion's FSU, I think you could make a compelling case there too.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    That all depends on what you mean by historically. If you say during the time that Callahan was at UF and Raymond was at LSU, then no way. LSU was clearly superior at development, though they didn't need to be with all the talent they had. We have had some great DB coaches during the past 3 decades, and we have had some dips in talent at times or had recruits that were very raw that the coaching was necessary to make up for talent deficiency (when the McCollum twins had to play) or recruits coming in very raw (Hendo). If we are not #1, we have as good a claim as anybody.

4. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    I'm 33 so since about 95 i've been able to follow football close enough to grasp it and understand it. We def have a claim to DBU, I was just asking because I didn't think it was a definite claim and wouldn't argue a few other schools who want to have that claim as well.

Lol we all got off topic. Back to Rogers, I think he's slated to come to FNL and if he does, I think that's when we can look him up. Would love to get him and flip Robinson from Bama if Bama does indeed feel they can land Nadab Joseph

• Like Like x 1
  5. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    It is interesting to me how many db the staff has targeted in TX. It makes me wonder about the staff's impression of quality in FL this year, not just what our prospects are of keeping the in state talent at UF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    That's a good observation. Our staff as been dipping into Texas for DB's this cycle with Helm and is targeting Xavion Alford, Rogers and Joshua Eaton. I do wonder what they see in him being that he's a high school QB who'll be playing defense only this year.

7. rball1313

rball1313 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    QB's make great DB's :cool:, they understand what the offense is trying to do, where routes are trying to get the WR open!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Oh dear. IAKOW

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. FatG8r

FatG8r VIP Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Orlando
    I have a friend who is a huge Michigan State fan and he always was talking crap but mostly just being funny. In about 1992 we had played in our softball league and having beers when he started spouting all things MSU....."Percy Snow...Linebacker U, Lorenzo White...RBU" and I chimed in with "Tony Mandarich....Bust U". I could always find the right thing to say and kill his BS and take the wind out of his sail.:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Just got another crystal ball
    40% UF

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    You saw that too huh? Good news as it was a UT guy too

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    UT = TX or TN?

13. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Texas insider

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. charliemike

charliemike Freshman

Jul 15, 2019
    Longhorn here, new to your board. Everything we're reading says he's y'alls, may announce today.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Guys this one should happen anytime in the next 36 hours.

• Like Like x 3
  16. charliemike

charliemike Freshman

Jul 15, 2019
    I've seen him multiple times, he's an above average dual-threat QB. Smart, very athletic, fast.

17. charliemike

charliemike Freshman

Jul 15, 2019
    Should clarify, yes I know he translates to CB for everyone, but his high school like most all, puts the best athlete at QB.

From Texas fan perspective, little punch in the gut. Really wanted him and our coaching staff loves what he brings

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  18. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Hey Candy
    Any news on FNL attendees?
    Should be quite a sell with new locker rooms and witnessing the first fall practice.

19. Chompsuey

Chompsuey Senior

Oct 17, 2011
    Hook Em on 9-7. I'll be there hopefully watching ya'll dominate lsu.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. charliemike

charliemike Freshman

Jul 15, 2019
    You and me both. Lots of questions will be answered that day.