Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Commit. 4* 2020 Cornerback Jahari Rogers...

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bobbybaker86, Jun 30, 2019.

1. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    yea well while the 2021 kid haven't committed to Florida yet then lol.

2. Chompsuey

Chompsuey Junior

Oct 17, 2011
    I’m going to guess if he does shoot up in rankings like anticipated he will have his eyes set on A&M. They did mention Florida is lagging behind in regards to facilities compared to the Texas schools.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    With Edwards transferring and the 2 starters likely to head for the NFL early, UF has to look like an opportunity waiting to happen for a confident ‘20 CB looking for early playing time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    There is only one real DBU and that’s UF. If I was recruiting CB’s and that was his objection, I’d be stressing the NFL looks at your film from on the field in-game performances and not facilities and Coach Gray is the coach who will help him get there.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Come on now, that's not true lol.

6. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    The real DBU is Dallas Baptist University.

I always chuckle when I see that in college baseball.
    Baylor - 6
    DBU - 4

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Legend

Dec 12, 2008
    We can use one or two safeties if that is what he projects to better.

8. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    ...and who would you and google say is the real DBU?

9. chuckgator

chuckgator Freshman

Nov 19, 2018
    Charleston, SC
    I love the DBU moniker, and the fact UF players, coaches, and fans are bought in. Great branding and the legacy is there with Lito, Keiwan, etc.

That said...playing purple-and-gold-devil's advocate- if you keep your eyes to active NFL talent produced...you can objectively say that LSU has produced a higher caliber top end DB talent than UF (White, Adams, Honeybadger, Peterson). OSU, FSU, and Bama are the others that have put a lot of stub DBs in the league in the past few years.

Not that others don't, but we've had more than our fair share of high picks not performing to expectations once they get to the league (VH3, Tabor, Wilson and further back Elam). Arguably the best two corners we have playing in the NFL today are a transfer (Janoris) and a converted WR (Dunbar).

...BUT I'd love to (and if they stay healthy, frankly expect to) see Henderson and Marco put an exclamation point on our claim as the "only real DBU" this season. Franks can help too by carving up some of these guys being projected as early picks next year.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    You'll never catch me being such an advocate.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    The moniker obviously pertains to theor time in college, but we can gi back just a little further with Joe Haden, reggie Nelson, will hill, Ahmad black, major Wright, and quite a few others that had an outstanding college careers and got themselves drafted. If you look at the Avg. Shelf life of a NFL career it's under or around maybe 5 years. Of course there are many that play longer but the percentage is fairly low overall and a lot of it depends on if you land in a system that plays to your strengths. For example Richard Sherman only ever played one side of the field. Was called out on it a few times too but he made quite a career playing only 1 side of the field

12. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Right. There are other colleges besides UF like LSU, FSU, Bama, Ohio State, and obviously Miami who can lay claim to DBU both from what players achieve in college, how many DB's are drafted and what round they're drafted in, and also how many make it to the NFL and how many pan out in the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Legend

Nov 11, 2014
    I've always wondered whether it is even good for the team to be so invested in winning the "DBU" argument. It's fun, and, sure, we all want the defensive backfield to be great and to be proud of its work. But, football is a team game that you can only win if all the components work well and function together. Team wins matter much more than strength in one particular area of the field. You don't see anyone trying to claim status as Offensive Line University, or Special Teams University, right? But, we all know how important those units are to a winning effort. I think I'd much rather be known as "SEC Champion University" than "Defensive Back University" any day.

• Like Like x 2
  14. chuckgator

chuckgator Freshman

Nov 19, 2018
    Charleston, SC
    Totally agreed- BUT (and sorry for the tangent) I would LOVE to see us putting a stamp on special teams- which has always seemed to me more emblematic of buy in and effort than anything else.

I grew up in SW Virginia, about an hour north of Blacksburg, and I cannot tell you how many hours were spent listening to my dad's VT fan friends wax poetic about the value of special teams. What I can tell you is how cool it was to watch their best players coming around the corner to try and block a punt/kick or take a kickoff to the house- the sort of momentum plays that really can turn a game, or even a season around. When my skins (I know, it's painful) took Lavar Arrington, I can't tell you how excited I was hoping he would bring "The Leap" to the league.

I don't think I'm alone on this board with that thought either, judging by the overwhelmingly positive reactions to Fenley Graham's commitment and potential to be a Brandon James type difference maker in the return game. I bet a few of you still think about this one from time to time as well: Block against South Carolina propelled '06 Gators

15. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Funny enough, I have seen OLU being thrown around by Oklahoma fans online recently lol.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Legend

Nov 11, 2014
    No doubt Special Teams are important and it's great to see them being focused on by this staff. Good Special Teams win close games and are a key to the field position battle. They also help keep impatient young players occupied until they become starters, especially when that group is viewed with so much importance by this team.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  17. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Legend

Nov 11, 2014
    That is interesting, and, I was not aware of that. The same logic goes for bragging about that unit, as well, though. Can't win if all you have is a good OL. But, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we are one dimensional like we were in the not too distant past.

18. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    lol it was just a few peeps trying to claim OLU, not like it was a trending topic or groundswell support type of thing.

I do like the whole DBU thing when the players strive to live up to it and players from other schools chime it and they are being friendly yet competitive about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Legend

Dec 12, 2008
    I can't really agree with you. The only thing I will agree with is that LSU has recruited more highly rated recruits than UF mostly through the last couple of decades, but UF has developed them better, had mostly better performances at the college level and has had about the same to better level of NFL play. You just cannot leave out Joe Haden, Reggie Nelson, Major Wright, etc. in the NFL just because its longer history than you want or it does not fit your narrative. UF has been DBU for a long time, despite some coaching moves that have not been stellar in the past decade.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Did not honey badger get kicked out of LSU? Can’t call Jenkins a transfer and not acknowledge many of the LSU kids that did not graduate from LSU either, IMO. Compare apples to apples, if making a point or defending your statements.

• Like Like x 1