Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2024 OFFICIAL ROSTER/Transfer Tracker/Lineup???

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 6, 2023.

1. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlie Condon from UGA with 25 home runs would be the icing on the cake... Freaking home run machine.

2. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Neither of those guys are in the portal though, are they?

3. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    I can dream... Lol. I also never said they were in the portal. But yeah, I know I should not put my wants and dream team players in this thread. :rolleyes:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007

6. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    Those points make good sense for today, but there will be lots a changes in the roster as a whole and in the game day lineup between now and the end of fall workouts. I feel comfortable guessing Kurland will stay at 2B, Jac will stay at 1B, Heyman will take over at C and Evans and Robertson will get first shots at their current positions, but I might be wrong about any of those.

I see potential for several current players, including Jac, Fabian, Shelton and Thomas to get OF work. Fabian, Heyman and Shelnut to work out at 1B, Thomas, Fabian and Halter to work at SS and 3B to be one of the last positions decided. I see Sully as willing to make any adjustment that builds the next CWS team. Did anyone guess after 2021 that an obscure fourth string catcher would replace Jacob Young in LF and become one of the alltime great Gator players? Obviously, frosh and transfers will change all sorts of alignments. Fall will be a fun time for our guys.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Why stop with Condon and Petry….maybe Skenes will forgo the draft and come to UF LOL

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Very good points Boss and I highly agree that SS will be the last decided position at the end of fall. I see the most likely positions as you do and have no idea of a batting order other than Jac bats 3rd. Should be a fun fall watching the development.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Let's not get carried away.. Lol. At least the one I mentioned is ineligible for next level baseball.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Great analysis. Don't be surprised if a couple of our incoming freshmen push the veterans for playing time. Stone Russell, especially (IMG Academy), can play SS & 3B, has a strong arm and excellent bat. If Christian Rodriguez doesn't get drafted high enough to sign, expect him to get every opportunity in the fall to not only earn an OF spot, but also push for time on the mound. He played for State Champs & #2 team in the nation Stoneman Douglas, where he was 7-0 with a 1.36 ERA and 66 K's, plus hit .385, slugged .478 with an OBP of .538. Competition for playing time, to me, is one of the key factors in this year's team becoming as good as it is and it looks like next year's team will have that same kind of talent - even though replacing what we're losing is going to be tough.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Stoneman finished #1 in PG poll. Christian was pitcher of the year. We need arms and one or two more stud transfers.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. toprowgator

toprowgator All American

Jun 24, 2019
    This.

13. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Several of our players are going to be playing the Clash song over the next few days - "Should I Stay or Should I Go?"

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    Is that meant to be a joke? Must be. Are you saying that they will want to transfer to LSU? Maybe you mean that playing for the national runnerup is not good enough and they'll go to a team that had a worse finish this year and a worse future- say fourth place in the Fan Belt Conference? Maybe you just think they should listen to rock and roll from before they were born. I'm partial to Jackson Browne, Springsteen and the Stones. My guess is that Gators might lose guys who didn't get playing time, but few guys who were regulars.

I continue to be touchy about inappropriate criticism of a VERY good team in a VERY good season. I've deleted my harshest responses pefore I posted them, but this one slipped through.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  15. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Cut it out, man. This was in no way a criticism or a negative comment about a great team who had a great year. We already have 4 guys in the portal and there will be some others who will be weighing their options over the next few days. We have a solid core of starters and regular pitchers coming back, a tremendous recruiting class coming in, some excellent portal guys coming in and players on the current roster who didn't play much this year will be deciding whether or not to try to earn more PT in the offseason or move on to another school where they can possibly start. Happens every year, these days more than ever. You've read things into my post that aren't there. I wasn't making a joke or being negative. Just telling the truth. We WILL lose more players to the portal and that's just reality. If you've read any of my other posts all over this board you know I'm a proud Gator who supports our team win or lose ALWAYS. You were off base.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    To all those clowns that say we're okay at pitching... you are real knowledgeable POS.

We need all the pitcher was can sign.... Any person the says other wise is full of crap.

17. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    I think it’s a fair observation. He made a lighthearted joke about the inevitable. He didn’t say our top guys are going to leave, and made no mention of LSU. It’s the portal/nil era, and guys can move about freely. It’s human nature to look for greener pastures. I mean we’ve already had several enter the portal, and at least one find a new home. I worry about guys like Ty and Mikey. I would hope they see opportunity here and that they love being Gators enough to hang around, but they both had to spend time on the bench this year and that hurts. If you don’t think they’ve considered looking elsewhere, I think you’re kidding yourself. There’s all kinds of back channeling going on, and I guarantee you these guys have dudes they played travel ball or summer ball calling them and all but guaranteeing them starting jobs and/or lucrative NIL deals. It’s part of the game now. We have to move some guys out, and we’re going to lose some guys that a lot of us hoped would stay. It’s really been like that pre-portal/nil era, but it’s happening on a much bigger scale now.

I wish we could get everyone we want, and keep them all for as long as we wanted, but we have relatively small rosters and we bring in new guys every year. Guys that aren’t playing full time are going to look for somewhere to play. It sucks, but it’s part of the business.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    You seem very knowledgeable. Maybe we should introduce you to Stricklin and see if he can swap you and Sully out. I’m sure he’d be fun to have on these forums.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    May be you can be our ambassador to statistics... and understanding in all sports that you have never once in you life played. Or... maybe you can lessen your insult to me and understand that I have no beef with Sully or Stricklin.

Let's face it, you are relatively new (compared to me) and you are not worthy of such deep contemplation nor consideration here. You are barking up the wrong tree, pal... Have to good night.

20. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Maybe you should go to bed.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1