Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2024 OFFICIAL ROSTER/Transfer Tracker/Lineup???

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 6, 2023.

1. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Allen Trammell, the Florida football player? I don’t follow you.

2. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Nick's writeup about Thursday's scrimmage I believe shows us the starters for Friday night. If you take the first five from each team that I have highlighted you can see all of them make up the 8 fielding positions and the fifth batters are the possible DH hitters. One position that might be different is Robertson in LF and Shelnut in RF. Nick listed the scrimmage starters as...

Team Orange
    CF Jalen Guy
    3B Dale Thomas
    2B Cade Kurland
    LF Tyler Shelnut
    DH/C Brody Donay

RF Hayden Yost
    C/DH Tanner Garrison
    1B Ashton Wilson
    SS Armando Albert

Team Blue
    RF Michael Robertson
    SS Colby Shelton
    C Luke Heyman
    1B Jac Caglianone
    DH Caden McDonald

CF Landon Russell
    3B John Martinez
    LF Blake Brookins
    2B Sammy Mummau

Last edited: Oct 27, 2023
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    Trammell was more exceptional as a baseball player than as a football player- and he was pretty good at football. There were many FB players who also played bsb in those days, including Richard Trapp, Tom Shannon, Len and John Fuller, Charley Casey, Guy McTheney, David Bowden, John Brantley (the elder) and more. Spurrier, intended to play, but Coach Graves talked him out of it. Trammell played bsb in '64 and '65, mainly OF. The team played only 67 games combined in those two years, about what they play in a single year now. That probably keeps him from ranking in most cummulative stats. I addition, more statistical categories are measured now. The team was good those years, finishing second in the SEC East both years. Only conference champions were eligible for NCAA postseason in those years.

Trammell was All SEC in '65. He holds the alltime Gator top season BA: .425 in '65. That year, he led the team in hits, doubles and RBI and was tied in at bats, triples and HR. Among his records that still stand, most are from his big day against KY on 3/16/65. He is tied for the most at bats in one inning: 6th inning, 3; tied for most hits in an inning: 3 (2 doubles and one HR), tied for most doubles in an inning, 2; tied for most total bases in an inning: 8; alone with most RBI in an inning: 8 (tied for the NCAA record); tied for most runs in an inning: 3. That inning also holds team records for the most at bats: 22; and runs 18. He led the team in '65 in HR, hits, doubles, RBI and was tied for at bats, triples and HR. He had a pretty good year in '65 and a decent career.

I grew up in Jax and there was almost no Gator baseball coverage there, but there was coverage of a few individual players, mainly the guys who also played football. I was in HS then and definitely was aware that Trammell was a star in both sports. It's a fact that one can only make very subjective comparisons among players from different eras, but Trammell stands out among many good players from the Fuller area and earlier.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Boss, thanks for clearing that up for me. My knowledge of Gator baseball started when I attended UF in 1976. I believe the coach at the time was Jay Bergman and then Andy Lopez. I remembered the name Allen Trammell but only as a football player didn’t know he was such an accomplished baseball player. Funny enough I remember the Detroit Tigers Alan Trammell as he was my grandfathers favorite players. Appreciate that bit of history and agree it sounds like Trammell belongs in the discussion.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    Happy to help. There are some people on this board that have great knowledge about baseball and are willing to help us understand important details about the nature of the sport. However, there are times when when we need someone who know bits of useles trivia and I feel that's my niche. Feel free to ask me something insignificant.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Thanks Bossman this one really was a LOL for me. I know exactly how you feel about posting useless information. Thanks for the laugh.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    You come through with solid insight on top of your niche contributions. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. rball1313

rball1313 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    love seeing and reading your comments on Allen. He was a stud and also roomed with Spurrier for awhile at UF. As good a player in both sports as he was my memory of him at UF is as a coach, he was my position coach my senior year at UF. He did a great job as the DB coach and if one looked they would see the defense gave up about 12 pts a game in 1975. Allen lives in Orlando and became a very successful person in the insurance industry after getting out of coaching. He’s one of the good ones! Thanks again for the details!

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 3
  10. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Week 4 schedule
    Stetson Doubleheader, Four Scrimmages On Deck for Fall Ball Week Four - Florida Gators

Monday, Oct. 30 2:30 PM ~3:45 PM
    Tuesday, Oct. 31 2:30 PM ~3:00 PM
    Wednesday, Nov. 1 2:30 PM NONE
    Thursday, Nov. 2 2:30 PM ~4:15 PM
    Friday, Nov. 3 2:30 PM ~4:15 PM
    Saturday, Nov. 4 OFF OFF
    Sunday, Nov. 5 Florida vs. Stetson (2 p.m.)

Looking ahead to Week 5, the Gators will hold their annual Orange & Blue Series, which is scheduled for Nov. 10-12.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Here was the starting lineup from the Georgia exhibition.

#11 Robertson(L) RF
    #10 Shelton(L) SS
    #4 Kurland(R) 2B
    #14 Caglianone(L) P/DH
    #28 Heyman(R) C
    #6 Shelnut(R) 1B
    #29 Donay(R) DH
    #1 Thomas(R) 3B
    #16 Yost(L) LF
    #50 Guy(R) CF

I assume we will see much of the same for Game 1 Sunday. I'll be wondering if Shelnut is at 1B again or out in LF. Batting order should be the same for the first 5-6 batters. Thomas might get bumped up a spot or two. Garrison might be the DH start this time instead of Donay. Pitchers might be Cags, Fisher, Peterson, McNeillie, and Purnell.

I'm more interested to see what Sully does for Game 2. Does he let Guy leadoff? Are most of the backup infielders given a start? Does he start Neely in Game 2 or is he also pitching in Game 1? Is Slater the Game 2 closer?

Looking forward to a great day of baseball and near perfect weather. Hope to see you there.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  12. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    How is Shelton looking at short? I’m curious about his defensive ability there.

13. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Not to shabby actually, I've seen an error or two but nothing that worries me. His bat more than make up for any defensive concerns. Thomas is over at 3rd more often and is still a good candidate at SS as well. Neither of them have a strong arm to first but they can get it there. We might lose a few more bang bang plays at first than last year with Halter and Rivera in there. Thomas still has the better range of the two.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Just got back from today's action after leaving in the 4th inning of Game 2. I was very impressed by Peterson showing good control of 4 pitches. I talked to a pitcher's dad today that shook his head when I asked about Peterson, said its incredible that he is even here. McNeillie still looks good most every time out and had a great change up that looked like a curve ball falling off the table. They knew what was coming but still couldn't hit it. Cags had the best day at the plate in Game 1. Game 2 got messy and probably not a good thing trying to compare hitters when the Hatters struggled to throw strikes.

I hope to get back out there next weekend for the Orange and Blue series. Hopefully the pitchers will get more time on the mound during the 3 day weekend. I do think Sully has to start giving consideration to Peterson and McNeillie pushing for starting opportunity. I'll stick with Cags, Nelly, and Fisher for now but if anyone of them struggle, we have two good arms pushing for more action.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    One more thing, I've been noticing that Heyman is making better throws to second on steal attempts and I saw that again today. He looks more natural and relaxed to let it fly and trust where its going. Yes he still has some bad days behind the plate. but I have to give him credit. He looks more like the catcher that Sully will lean on this season. I expect sitting behind Riopelle last year is starting to rub off on him. The new guys are improving as well but they are still settling in. That said today, with Cags starting on the mound, Heyman was at first base which caught me by surprise.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    I've been leaning this way for more than a week, but Peterson's performance today makes him top pitcher on my list and most consistent of the fall- even with a week to go. Cags' improvements put him second, but he hasn't had the consistency of Peterson. Neely and Fisher have shown a great deal of the same quality work we saw last season, but both have had a few poor innings mixed in with good ones. My impression is that Sully has provided more opportunities for the guys who have impressed him most leaving Gomberg and Phipot with a smaller sample size, but both pitched well earlier this week. With the end of fall workouts closing in, I'm VERY pleased with this staff. No one has shown the level of performance of the very top Sully pitchers of past years- and it can only help if Coppola pitches in '24- but given the number of frosh whom we have to count on, I'm feeling good. BTW- these are comments from the perspective of an attentive elderly fan with no exeriance as a player older than 15 or coaching players over 13.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    Someone asked about Shelton's fielding and I overheard two scouts discussing his abilities and their main critique was his arm-- both agreed that he would be better suited for second base in pro ball because of that and also noted that he turns well on double plays so second may be his spot.... at the next level.
    Sorry I missed the second game and Peterson's outing as the scouts were talking him up as well and were highly impressed with what they have seen thus far. Given his HS scouting report we are lucky to have him on campus.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    All good comments Bossman and I recognize you are at practice more than most of us here so your info is worth repeating. I've seen McNeillie more than Peterson so I still feel both are contenders this year as starters for midweek and possibly weekends. That's weird to say about two freshmen knowing Cags, Neely, and Fisher are waiting their turns, so to say. I also feel better about the arms we have including Slater and Purnell as finishers. We seem to have a good core of 8 in Cags, Neely, Fisher, Slater, Purnell, Peterson, McNeillie, and sometimes Jameson. I keep reminding myself to hold off until February to pencil in a final rotation. Those weeks with two midweek games should be very revealing who is ready and who still needs work. Just know I'd be shocked and amazed if Coppola ever gets back to pitching in a 2024 game at this point.

19. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    I missed most of the first week, but I've made it to nearly every scrimmage since. (Retired life is wonderful.) Still, I've only seen 3-4 innings of McNeilly- not enough to make a decent assessment, but enough to agree he and Peterson are at the top of the class. I do have good feelings about other frosh. Johnson really has caught my attention. First time I saw him, he seemed awkward and had no heat on his pitches, but I realized he throws all breaking stuff. Lots of different speeds, but some sharp breaks that make hitters look bad- more break than I normally can see so clearly from other pitchers. I get the sort of impression of him that I had of Michael Byrne as a fall workout frosh. I was surprised he got so few innings as a spring frosh, but not that he turned out so well on the championship team.

That second level group includes nearly every other frosh. Before workouts started, Rodriguez was often named with the top two, but he has been less consistent than any other frosh. If he can raise the weak moments to the level of his strong moments, he'll make us very happy. Menendez, Satin, Smith and McDonald have had very good innings with some hiccups mixed in, but I like them all. I didn't see Philpot or Gomberg at all through the first few weeks and I wondered if they had not earned mond time from Sully, but I've see both have perfect innings over the last 10 days or so.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    87, interesting that you included Jameson on your list of "core" pitchers and likely Sunday's solid performance vs Stetson appeared convincing but in the scrimmage I attended two weeks ago, Jameson was hit hard, gave up runs and even the outs were loud.