Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2024 OFFICIAL ROSTER/Transfer Tracker/Lineup???

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 6, 2023.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Or even better an Irish pub...
    McNeillie's
    The best place to go for some Shepard's Pie or Bangers and Mash.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Best performers at today's Scrimmage were the starting pitchers. Both McNeillie and Fisher went 3 innings without giving up a run. Both had runners on but managed them well.

Top hitter was Garrison who went 2 for 3 with a 2 rbi double facing Slater. Several good defensive plays from the infield but 1 throwing error by Mummau at third.

Overall pitching is better and hitters are guessing more on breaking balls. I expect we should give Georgia a good challenge but one or two pitchers might not have a good night.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I'd like to invite all of you out for Sunday night's scrimmage, practice at 5:30 and scrimmage at 7. The team is prepping for Friday night's game in Jax so hopefully Sully will use this to get his rotation ready for Friday. No one will pitch more than 2-3 innings but we might see any final changes to the lineup or batting order. Some scrimmages are going 6 innings this past week so this one should be all of that or more. The team is off Monday so that puts more of a premium on Sunday night. The weather is going to be great with temps in the mid 70s and no chance of rain. Hope to see you there.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    Yesterday, I finally got out to the ballpark for a four inning scrimmage and my first reaction is - wow- we have a brand new team... very few familiar faces (and numbers) from last year. Clemente started for Blue (against the mostly "A team" for Orange) and despite some control issues, especially with his off speed stuff threw consistently in the 94-95. Gave up one run in two innings, with 3 Ks. I circled him as possible mid week starter or for middle relief. Satin started for Orange and is a strike thrower but does not have the same stuff as Clemente, main positive he throws strikes. He gave up one run in two innings but after breezing through the first gave up three consecutive hits in second before wiggling out of it. Grayson Smith looked very good in his one inning of relief and I circled his name as possible contributor this season.
    Jameson got hit hard pitching for Orange given up the two deciding runs in his one inning. I am a little surprised that Sully did not encourage him to look elsewhere. Purnell breezed through his innning- closing it out for Blue in a 3-1 win.
    It will be interesting to see how the new team meshes and who emerges as the team leaders. We'll miss the steady leadership qualities, maturity and talents of Josh and BT and the overall extreme talent of Wyatt. Pitching is an open question as well with big losses to Pro ball and if Neely moves to starter -- who will be the closer?
    PS: Coppola sighting but not throwing or participating in any way. Very sorry for the young man who had great potential. I'm not confident he will be able to help out this seasonn- we shall see.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Nice write up. Missed the scrimmage but during the practice part, Coppola was throwing flats with the other pitchers. He was also actively shagging fly balls during BP. They seem to be bringing him along slowly for good reason.

6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We all know that Cags will garner the attention and headlines, and I think everybody’s fine with that.

I really have the feeling that Cade Fisher will be the anchor of our starting rotation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    I fully agree 74. I thought going into the new season, Fisher would likely be the Friday night guy with Neely also a weekend starter. Unless Cags' control issues can be ironed out, I am not fully convinced of how effective he can be on a consistent basis. I know, many will argue that with his stuff he's gotta be out there on the weekend but it seems to me when he's on, he's great; but when he's off ... it goes south quickly. That is what is most concerning-- once he loses it, he has not shown the ability to regain his compusure. I'm hopeful that it can be ironed out with coaching and one more year of maturity.
    I've not heard reports about Liam Peterson from the scrimmages but he is a top pitching prospect and it's great that he made it to campus. They gave him Barco's old #12 and we remember how good Barc was as a freshman. Lots of pieces for Sully to juggle along with a boatload of question marks with really big shoes to fill.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    The best freshman pitcher I remember is Logan Shore from Minnesota. He came in as a weekend starter and stayed there for 3 years. Very consistent battler.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

In my experiences working with pitchers-IMHO-Cag’s mechanical issues can be corrected with both work and effort.

The first hurdle for any pitcher is for him to understand what he’s asking his body to do mechanically and duplicating those mechanics to the point of positive habits.

Cags generally struggles with arm side misses (both running pitch counts up and setting negative mindsets). What I see that causes this are three things strung together which makes each thing more highly contributing to control issues. First, the front side (lead shoulder/right) flies open too early. Second, this pushes to too long a stride. And third, this creates a “shotgun” (inconsistent) release point which greatly deteriorates command/control.

IMHO these things are relatively easy to correct and implement with regular work/duplication in a positive work environment.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Coppola has been a wild man in the outfield during bp, lol. By far the most active guy out there at the practices I’ve made. Don’t know if we’ll ever see him pitch, but glad he’s still engaged and enjoying himself.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    Thanks 74 for your expert analysis. One doubt that I have is as a two-way player is Cags able to put in the necessary time working on his pitching mechanics which would enable him to get to that point of duplication?

12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

For me the real issue is how it’s addressed. Is it a situation where ok, he throws a pen today and everything was better so—good until next time, or are the issues that lead to the control/command issues discussed, broken down, proper mechanics to solve the issues put in place, and the correct mechanics reenforced to the point of habit.

Hoping it’s better next time is not a solution.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    87, thanks for the invite. Should be fun under the lights and weather is great. I have family commitments so won't be able to make it but look forward to your and others' observations.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Coppola spotted again only tossing soft throws at close range. I can't imagine we see him this year.
    Practice has started and the team is working on bunt defense. Lots of chatter is a start.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Many mixed feelings after tonight's scrimmage. It ended 2-2 but Orange was granted a 1 run lead but 1 less chance to bat. The Scrimmage started in the bottom of the 4th with the score 1-0.
    Cags was the only pitcher to go 3 innings and struck out 7. Before tonight started most were thinking Neely will start Friday night in Jax but now it looks like Cags will start.
    I do know the batting order will start Robertson, Shelton, Kurland, Cags, and Heyman in that order. Not much hitting tonight by either side until the bottom of the 9th when Shelnut hit an oppo homer to end it in a tie. That's all folks.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Hasn’t Sully’s tendency been to start non-weekend starters in this game similar to playing FSU so as to not give an early look to conference opponents in the fall?

17. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Yes I recall that as well but the bench is so short it might as well be a true freshman starting on the mound if that's the case. No one is really up to throwing 3 innings other than Cags or Neely so if Sully goes midweek then it will be a bunch of guys throwing 1 inning each for the most part. As you can tell I'm really perplexed on where we are at now. Pitching has potential but many arms have a long way to go. Position players are obvious in 5 or 6 spots but totally up in the air on the rest. And, ready for this, if I had to pick a closer at this point it would be Purnell, deservedly so. Go figure!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Rethinking this, the only guy we have that is not a weekend contender or a true freshman that fits this starting chance is Ryan Slater.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Last year Waldrep started against Jaden Woods.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Not much to see but here is Tyler Shelnut's 2 out bottom of the ninth oppo homerun in last night's scrimmage.

• Like Like x 1