Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2024 OFFICIAL ROSTER/Transfer Tracker/Lineup???

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 6, 2023.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Best performers on the field tonight.
    Mikey Robertson 2 for 2 and 1 HBP
    Jaylen Guy 2 hits including 1 double
    Colby Shelton 2 run HR to right
    Christian Rodriguez 2 shutout innings.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thx Math!
    I heard Clements is back and healthy as well. Pipeline is bright at Stoneman Douglas. They will be preseason #1 in country once again and we have their ace committed. They are looking for their 3 straight national championships which is unheard in HS baseball, let alone for a public school.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    It was a dramatic change to go from names and numbers and written tidbits to seeing real players on green grass. My confidence in the chances of the 2024 edition took a big leap. Some of the guys simply look good before the even take the field, Brookins, Donay and Garrison are BIG. Not giant, but tall and thick. Shelton was smaller in stature than I remembered from last season, but that may have been from standing close to big teammates. There was nothing small about his HR. Shelton, Thomas and Albert worked at SS and didn't have any tough plays, but never had any stumbles. Martinez played 3B and made one nice play to his left in front of Shelton, but he was fooled by a hinky hop that took a ground ball from Guy between his legs. He wears 23 and the play reminded me of DFabian's defensive performance. One scrimmage is not quite meaningless, but Guy and Robertson made it seem we'll see some offense from whichever starts in CF. Evans was dressed, but didn't play or take BP, I'm not sure whether he worked out on defense. McDonald is listed only as RHP, but played 1B. Rodriguez and Satin were more effective on the mound than Neely or Cags. Neely's pitch count was high from a ton of foul balls, many of them by Shelton. No one reminded me of Wyatt, but we seem well stocked with position players. It will take a couple of weeks of pitcher going an inning or two at a time to get an idea what sort of staff will work the mound.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    As for Shelton...
    I thought he'd be taller, too.

5. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    But yes his homerun was a you knew it was gone as soon as it got airborne. Great swing, great launch angle, perfect ball flight, but it did help that #33 gave him one over the heart of the plate. Good to know Shelton will make you pay for mistakes. Must be nice for Kurland to get sandwiched between Shelton and Cags.

6. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    I had been sure 33 was Satin, but couldn't bring myself to contradict GatorGal and changed the name in my comment. Now I'm pretty sure I was right after all. 247 sports spoke well of Satin and other than one pitch, he did well, but better to find out now that top hitters can find the berm when handed a mistake.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    That ground ball got to him really fast, looked like some of my golf game worm burners. But it was barely to his left and he didn't get his glove on the ground. You made an all too familiar comparison on DFab and makes me wonder if Martinez has played more SS than 3rd like many guys out of HS.

8. lg4uf_

lg4uf_ VIP Member

Mar 13, 2023
    Didn’t know where to put this, but here this is fwiw 2025
    SEC Baseball Permanent Opponents
    Alabama:
    Auburn, Tennessee
    Arkansas: Ole Miss, Missouri
    Auburn: Alabama, Georgia
    Florida: Georgia, South Carolina
    Georgia: Florida, Auburn
    Kentucky: South Carolina, Vanderbilt
    LSU: Mississippi State, Texas A&M
    Ole Miss: Mississippi State, Arkansas
    Mississippi State: Ole Miss, LSU
    Missouri: Oklahoma, Arkansas
    Oklahoma: Missouri, Texas
    South Carolina: Kentucky, Florida
    Tennessee: Vanderbilt, Alabama
    Texas: Texas A&M, Oklahoma
    Texas A&M: Texas, LSU
    Vanderbilt: Tennessee, Kentucky

• Informative Informative x 5
  9. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
  12. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Only through untraceable offshore bank accounts. Not there's anything illegal about that. (sarcasm)

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    [​IMG]

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Fall Ball practice Friday 10/13/23
    Coppola is on the field for warm ups but restricted to soft toss only.
    Evan's is throwing into net and short throws with feet stationary.
    Practice started at 3 instead of 2 30 as scheduled. Some players were on the turf early for bunt duty.

15. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    As infielder practice wrapped up Thomas, Martinez, and Russell struggled with bare handed slow rollers and had to stay longer to complete the 3 base cycle. Then had to drop for plank duty as the field was set for BP.

16. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    As BP is finishing up it looks like the starting pitchers for today's scrimmage will be Cags for Blue and Neely for Orange.

I was impressed watching Robertson in BP at how many line drive hits to LCF he was hitting and ground balls up the middle. He had very few flyouts, the opposite of last year.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2023
  17. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Here are notes from todays 4 inning scrimmage.
    The best pitcher was Cags going 2 innings giving up 1 hit, a triple leading off the game, 1 walk, no runs and 3 strikeouts. He held good command and a scout's radar showed he was in the 94-96 mph range. Lots of pops in the catcher's mitt.
    The best offensive player was Mikey Robertson going 2 for 2 with a homerun.
    Orange won it 3-2 on a 3 run homer by Garrison.
    The music was better for awhile and was all surprisingly by Creed. I did kind of get numb to it after a few innings.
    Overall pitching was much better today other than the one inning with the 3 run HR.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  18. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Really interesting info posted by Gatorgal about the practices from this weekend. I'm looking forward to getting back up there to see if we seeing a new trend in the lineup or if this is just a weekend to change it up a little. We've got a long way to go but this is a good time for Sully to move guys around to see if they maintain their hot bats or kick start a few that need a shakeup.

19. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I moved some pitchers around in my first page tracker. Since Clemente and Coppola are still working their way back, I moved them with the relievers and moved up some freshmen who are off to a good start. It remains to be seen how they look at the start of spring but hopefully this helps any of you keep track of how things are coming along.

Pitchers
    Starters - Jac Caglianone(L), Brandon Neely, Cade Fisher(L)
    Possible Starters - Liam Peterson, Christian Rodriguez, Luke McNeillie
    Relievers - Ryan Slater, Blake Purnell, Fisher Jameson, Jake Clemente, Pierce Coppola(L)???
    Signees - Jacob Gomberg(L), Frank Menendez(L), Robert Satin(L), Hunter Jones, Caden McDonald, Alex Philpott, Grayson Smith, Reilly Witmer

• Like Like x 2
  20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    “McNeillie”— just sounds like a baseball name….