Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2024 OFFICIAL ROSTER/Transfer Tracker/Lineup???

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 6, 2023.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Good catch Boss man. I never expected either of them to be back but this points us in the right direction.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    D1Baseball has run a couple of series on transfers, one ranking the top 130 overall, one ranking the top 75 in the SEC. I've waited patiently for Gator tranfers to appear, and finally, they have listed a couple near the top. Garrison didn't appear in the national rankings (unless I missed seeing his name). The two lists were prepared by different writers, so the comments are different. Albert, Guy, Russell and Wilson were not ranked.

Among the national rankings:

16. Brody Donay, C (Virginia Tech to Florida)
    After having a strong freshman season for the Hokies, Donay is on the move to Gainesville, where he hopes to provide a powerful punch for the Gators offensive lineup. Donay is a 6-foot-5, 215-pounder, who hit .260 for the Hokies last season with big-time power production, smacking 12 homers and 38 RBIs. Donay certainly has a fair share of swing and miss, but should fit nicely in that lineup with Jac Caglianone, Colby Shelton and others.

6. Colby Shelton, 3B (Alabama to Florida)
    The turmoil pre Rob Vaughn at Alabama worked to Florida’s advantage as the talented lefthanded hitter is heading back to his home state for the 2024 season. Shelton is a 6-foot, 185-pounder, who had a massive freshman campaign from a power standpoint. He batted .299 last season with 10 doubles, a triple, 25 homers and 51 RBIs, along with a 1.143 OPS. Shelton should fit in nicely with a lineup that already has Jac Caglianone and others.
    Among the SEC rankings:

71. Tanner Garrison, C (Coastal Carolina to Florida)
    Though a .275/.396/.588 slash line with six home runs in just 80 at-bats is quality production on a rate basis, Florida should be more excited about what Garrison brings to the table defensively. He’s a high-end defensive player who can really limit the opposing running game. Florida also brought in another high-profile transfer catcher in Brody Donay from Virginia Tech, but for the Gators’ best defensive alignment, Donay could play elsewhere to allow Garrison more time behind the plate.

12. Brody Donay, C/OF (Virginia Tech to Florida)
    Donay played in just 39 of Virginia Tech’s 53 games in 2023, starting 33 of them, but on a rate basis, he was among the club’s best power bats. In 123 at-bats, he batted .260/.352/.585 with 12 home runs, a pace that suggests he might have been in the mix to lead the team in homers had he taken as many turns at bat as those who played close to all 53 games. Donay is a catcher by trade but also has some experience in the outfield. With a crowded catching situation at Florida given the return of Luke Heyman and the addition of Coastal Carolina transfer Tanner Garrison, Donay may be ticketed for more time in the outfield, where his plus arm really plays.

4. Colby Shelton, 3B (Alabama to Florida)
    Shelton was a full-on freshman phenom for Alabama last season, ultimately finishing his first season of college baseball batting .300/.419/.729 with 25 home runs and 51 RBIs. His entry into the transfer portal made a big splash in the offseason, and his commitment was widely anticipated and speculated about right up until he selected Florida. He’ll slot in at third base right away for a Florida team that didn’t get a ton of offensive production from the position last season.​

Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Two weeks and counting...
    "GAINESVILLE, Fla. – The reigning SEC Champion Florida Gators baseball team will officially begin fall practice on Sunday, Oct. 8 at 4 p.m. at Condron Family Ballpark with the gates open to all fans."

• Like Like x 1
  4. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    At this point even if Coppola and Clemente are back, we only have 8 returning pitchers. The 11 newcomers we have are going to be tested early unless Sully has a few surprise arms that's transferred under the radar. Fall ball will have plenty of new arms rotating just to make it through a weeks worth of practice.

• Like Like x 2
  5. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007

• Like Like x 3
  6. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL

• Like Like x 2
  7. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    A couple of nice announcements, any further details about these guys?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville

Here is a video link on OF transfer Jalen Guy from a GatorWire article on August 6. Some may have seen it, but it was new for me and it makes me look forward to having him on the squad. He's a 6th year guy who sat out '22 with an arm injury, but played well in '23. The vid was done by Liberty before last season, but he sure came off as a likeable kid.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Dang this might shore up the outfield if Robertson or Evans show some consistency. If we weren't one week away from Fall Ball I might shuffle the lineup. For now I'll see how they start out this Sunday and go from there.

10. toprowgator

toprowgator All American

Jun 24, 2019
    How's his bat? Our projected OF already presents some question marks at the plate.

11. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    Not the same bat Wyatt uses, but better than poor Robertson has produced. If neither gets hot, they might platoon in CF, but I feel three of the returning and incoming OF candidates will win positions. There is a lot of potential in the group. Check back in two weeks and we'll have a more clear picture. I'll bet a small amount of change that three to five OFs will be productive. The weaknesses of some 2023 OFs will not carry over to 2024.

OF candidates include: Thomas, Evans, Shelnut, Robertson, Caglianone, Heyman, Brown. Donay, Guy, Shelton, Wilson and Yost. Some have strong histories in the OF, including good defensive skills. Others will stay in the IF, but Sully will find a solid OF in that group. If a guy has played well enough to be recruited to this squad and can hit college pitching, he can learn to play OF.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2023
  12. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Was there something that happened to Brookins? I can't recall every detail here. I'm going into fall camp with my eyes on Robertson, Evans, and Shelnut (of course) and watching for Guy, Donay, and Brookins to step up in the OF. Wilson is the unknown utility that might get a shot. I never heard if Yost ever got over his arm injury.

13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    I would be surprised if we see Caglianone working in the outfield. One of the main reasons we see two way pitchers/players playing first base is to save the arm. Drills (throwing) from the outfield by themselves can be taxing on a player’s arm/shoulder.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    I also doubt Cags will move, but I do see him as athletic enough to be able to play OF. My assertion was that Gators are not limited to the three returning OF, Robertson, Shelnut and Evans, for potential OF talent. Last fall, Shelnut worked mainly at 1B/3B, but most of his innings during the season were OF. He was not the most comfortable OF, but his bat kept him in the lineup. In 2021, we had an OF with three guys who may play OF in the majors. The 2023 OF has only Wyatt likely to make the big show, but they made the CWS final game. OF defense is VERY exciting to me, but adequate defense and strong hitting can be a winning balance.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Possible time change for Sunday start of Fall Ball. It says Sunday at 5PM.

16. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL

• Like Like x 1
  17. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Open Baseball Practice Kickstarts Sunday - Florida Gators
    Here is the first week schedule.....
    Date Practice Scrimmage
    Sunday, Oct. 8 5:00 PM YES
    Monday, Oct. 9 2:30 PM YES
    Tuesday, Oct. 10 2:30 PM YES
    Wednesday, Oct. 11 OFF OFF
    Thursday, Oct. 12 2:30 PM NO
    Friday, Oct. 13 2:30 PM YES

• Like Like x 1
  18. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Fall Ball 2023
    One hour and counting, hope to see a few of you out there.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
  20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Before they change an arm slot on Cags that from muscle memory alone could create an oh chit problem I would like to think that they would get him good and stretched and loose—put him in CF—and hit some fungo to him telling him to throw the runner out at the plate….

That’s always been the foolproof way to see a player’s natural power arm slot IMHO. You transition that power arm slot to the mound for your pitchers.

• Informative Informative x 2