Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2024 OFFICIAL ROSTER/Transfer Tracker/Lineup???

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 6, 2023.

1. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think you may be downplaying Shelton just a little lol.
    Jac as a freshman had an OPS of .887 and as a sophomore 1.127….pretty awesome wasn’t it?
    Shelton…..OPS as a true freshman? 1.148. That’s right, higher than both of Jac’s seasons. Plus you can’t use the competition excuse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I think you took me wrong. I added him in the good hitter grouping to get us to 6 along with Donay. Its not about him as a pitcher or his arm but that he adds a good bat to the lineup which should be very good for us.

Edit: I see Shelton being a very good 2 hitter for us. If no one else steps up to be our leadoff then I expect our first 4 to be Kurland, Shelton, Cags and Heyman. I'm holding out on Donay until I see how he fits in.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
  3. gatorstevelp

Apr 3, 2007
    Not sure what happened as I was replying to jd’s post about Sheltons swing and miss. Not sure how your post was quoted. I was going to reply to yours but your post wouldn’t load for me lol to mention Coppola as a potential starter.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Yep good call on Coppola. I was wondering the same but he was not mentioned in the article so I guess he is still rehabbing???

5. gatorstevelp

Apr 3, 2007
    Nick on the premium board stated at the end of the season that the coaches were confident Coppola was going to be good to go next season. We shall see!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    As to your question on Cade Fisher @Matherly87 , I think we will see him excel as a weekend starter.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Texas A&M just got the crown jewel of the portal. OF from Stanford just announced. I guess I'm just glad he isn't going to Baton Rouge.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. gatorsfan17_

gatorsfan17_ Freshman

Jul 19, 2023

Hit .252 with 20 RBIs this past season at Charleston Southern as a 3B. Has the ability to play basically anywhere on the diamond. From what I've read, Wilson is not a fantastic defender at any position and the swing & miss is an issue. But, overall good depth signing.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2023
  9. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Looks like the offense is going to take a step back in 2024, but since the 2023 offense was so awesome that's to be expected. But there have to be some guys who show marked improvement at the plate if we're going to have a top 1/2 of the SEC-type offense next season. The pitching has to be better to make the Gators a title challenger again, though, because we're not going to be scoring like we did in 2023.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gatorsfan17_

gatorsfan17_ Freshman

Jul 19, 2023
    I sort of agree with you here. I mean, it's going to be hard to replicate the production we got offensively from guys like Langford, Rivera, BT, etc. But, next season, we still have Cags & throw in guys like Colby Shelton & Donay. I think power won't be an issue. Now how the team performs with RISP and whatnot is TBD. As far as starting pitching is concerned, I think that might be the weakest link atm. That's not to say I'm doubting Cade (fisher), Neely, & Cags abilities. It's just I think it's disappointing that they haven't decide to pursue a starter via the portal. But, after last season, having a 1, 2 punch with Sproat & Waldrep, is going to be a hard thing to replace.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gatorstevelp

Apr 3, 2007
    They did pursue and got Austin but he went MLB. They pursued and were in good shape for Holman but he went elsewhere. You can talk about Sproat & Waldrep (who I liked) but their production was not there. ERA’s over 4 does not give me the warm and fuzzies……maybe it does for you but I think we will have guys step up and give us better production next season.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    I agree with the point that it's unlikely any squad that takes the field in '24 can equal the offense of '23. We might replace Riopelle and Rivera, but Wyatt was top five all time among Gator hitters. I limit that to top five because it's hard to compare different eras.

I also agree the college game has evolved to almost require stealing a good pitcher or two from mid-major programs or lesser programs in big conferences.

But the thing that has moved UF to the very top of college baseball has been the frosh pitching recruits Sully brings in year after year. I can't guess which of the new group will be a Barco, Faedo or Shore or even a solid middle reliever, but there are some guys we'll be praising over the next few years. That will be true of a position player or two or three, as well.

I assert it's a fact that Sully brings in better frosh pitchers than the top 1% of guys available in the portal. That point shows up from time to time in these discussions, but it too often is left out. I wish we had some transfer at the Holman level, but we are not on the brink of any abyss.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. gatorstevelp

Apr 3, 2007
    We are talking about replacing production from this past season and it has squat to do with future MLB success unless their future success in MLB will somehow change the 2023 season.

14. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Not a starter but on record as saying then and even more so now, Nesbitt a definite loss.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Glad to read your optimism Bossman. I do think we have some really good freshman arms coming in but I'm concerned it might take a year for them to really blossom. We will start to find out here in a few more months but my I'm thinking things might get better after another year even though we lose some important players after this year. I'll still be hoping it all comes together when May comes around but we have a long ways to go until then.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Need help cleaning up the roster. This article said the roster has grown to 36 players by adding Ashton Wilson.
    https://247sports.com/college/flori...oster-kevin-osullivan-gators-omaha-214117350/

But when I count all the 17 returning players, plus the 7 transfers, and the 15 incoming freshmen I get 39. If so, who needs to be deleted? Tucker Talbott was included in senior day but last year he was a RSo. Did he leave or give up baseball? Max Brown is practicing with football again. Is he done with baseball for sure? Even those two still put me over the count of 36 if that's accurate. Have any of the freshmen made other decisions? I'm wondering if the article could have forgotten a few like Caden McDonald deciding not to go to UCF and is coming to UF.

1 Dale Thomas INF 54-10 175 R/R JR* De Leon Springs, Fla. / Bishop Moore
    2 Ty Evans OF 6-2 205 R/R SO Auburndale, Fla. / Lakeland Christian
    3 Cade Fisher LHP 6-4 200 L/L FR Dalton, Ga. / Northwest Whitfield County
    4 Cade Kurland INF 5-11 185 R/R FR Tampa, Fla. / Berkeley Prep
    6 Tyler Shelnut INF/OF 6-2 185 R/R JR Lake City, Fla. / Fort White
    11 Michael Robertson OF 6-2 190 L/R RS FR Venice, Fla. / Venice
    13 Ryan Slater RHP 6-3 185 R/R RS SO Palm Harbor, Fla. / East Lake
    14 Jac Caglianone LHP/1B 6-5 235 L/L SO Tampa, Fla. / Plant
    18 Pierce Coppola LHP 6-8 220 L/L SO Verona, N.J. / Verona
    20 Jake Clemente RHP 6-4 210 R/R FR Coral Springs, Fla. / Marjory Stoneman Douglas
    21 Sam Sloan RHP 6-3 190 R/R RS FR Bartow, Fla. / Lakeland Senior
    22 Brandon Neely RHP 6-3 205 R/R SO Seville, Fla. / Spruce Creek
    27 Fisher Jameson RHP 6-5 225 R/R SO Lake Worth, Fla. / Park Vista
    28 Luke Heyman C 6-3 205 R/R FR Longwood, Fla. / Lake Brantley
    32 Tucker Talbott OF 6-2 195 R/R RS SO* Atlantic Beach, Fla. / Providence School ***
    41 Blake Purnell RHP 6-3 210 R/R RS FR Boynton Beach, Fla. / St. Thomas Aquinas
    66 Max Brown OF 6-2 200 R/R FR Tulsa, Okla. / Lincoln Christian

Tanner Garrison C 6-3 Sr Transfer from Coastal Carolina
    Colby Shelton INF So Transfer from Alabama - 3B
    Brody Donay C/OF So Transfer from Virginia Tech
    Landon Russell INF Transfer from Gulf Coast CC
    Jaylen Guy OF Sr Transfer from Liberty
    Armando Albert INF Sr Transfer from Florida Atlantic
    Ashton Wilson IF/OF So Transfer from Charleston So

2023 Signees

Liam Peterson, Palm Harbor FL - RHP
    Christian Rodriguez, Coral Springs FL - RHP
    Luke McNeillie, Milton GA - RHP
    Caden McDonald, Tampa FL - RHP
    Hunter Jones, Anthony FL - RHP
    Alex Philpott, Tampa FL - RHP
    Grayson Smith, Rocky Face GA - RHP
    Reilly Witmer, Naples FL - RHP
    Jacob Gomberg, Coral Springs FL - LHP
    Frank Menendez, Miami FL - LHP
    Robert Satin, Tampa FL - LHP
    John Martinez, Orlando FL - SS
    Sammy Mummau, Palm Harbor FL - IF
    Blake Brookins, Palmetto Bay FL - OF
    Hayden Yost, Tampa FL - OF

• Like Like x 1
  17. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    That list is the reason I'm optimistic, plus the fact that I just can't help it.

Does the roster limit apply to fall practice? If not, I see plenty of possibilities for it to slim down by January. I don't have specific names in mind for that, but we generally lose a small number after the depth chart becomes more clear.

BTW Thanks for tracking the roster. It is a BIG help.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    No program can replace a top 5 first round MLB draft pick.

we need to find better pitching. Need some of the true freshmen or year 2 kids to step up in a big way. Pitching is what will hold us back this year.

Not a fan of a .250 hitter from CS transferring after freshman year but understand depth holes go fill and appears to be good fielding utility player.

on a positive note it appears many Florida born kids want to come bs k closer go home to play if they have string year or two outside the State. Portal good in that regard

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Cags is still a work in progress but hopefully he can fix the command issues and take the next step. Neely had a solid, albeit short summer with the US Team and will be a solid weekend guy should he indeed enter the rotation. Fisher had a really good FR season and hopefully continues to improve as he joins the rotation. Coppola is a major question due to injuries but obviously has the ability to be really good. Sully also has to be encouraged about the summer Jake Clemente had in the CP League. After slowly being worked in due to coming off injury, he showed positive signs giving up just three runs in his last 13 1/3 innings with 15 K’s. Looking forward to seeing him this fall as he can be really good if healthy.

Sully brought in a bunch of really good arms in this years FR class and hopefully 2-3 kids can contribute right away. Christian Rodriguez, Liam
    Peterson and Luke McNellie all have really good potential and I think people are underestimating the impact of the Caden McDonald signing. The kid is just a really good player and like Peterson and Rodriguez, has the potential to be a two way player at UF. McDonald was probably the most productive player in Florida high school baseball this past year going 13-1 on the mound and finishing runner-up in Florida with 12 HRs. He is not as toolsy a player from the MLB scouts eyes but he is the best two-way player to come out of Florida since Jax Caglianone.

Agree it would have been nice to get a top pitcher out of the portal but there is no lack of quality arms on the roster and if certain piece fall in place, UF will have a solid pitching staff in 2024.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Julian Irizarry - Spring 2023

Will someone please put this kid on the UF baseball coaches radar. Senior in HS next year. Committed to Pitt. They have to go watch him play. I’ve watched a lot of baseball in the last 50 years. He is one of the best hitting HS kids I have ever watched. Great lead off hitter. I have never recommended anyone but there is something there with this kid. You know it when you see it and he will be a great college player

• Like Like x 4