Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2024 OFFICIAL ROSTER/Transfer Tracker/Lineup???

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 6, 2023.

1. BurkeGator

BurkeGator All American

Aug 28, 2015
    Ask and you shall receive...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. bigigator15

bigigator15 VIP Member

Oct 28, 2022
    Hollywood FL
    have met Jaylen several times over the years, great speed, very good outfielder and solid hitter. Wont be a power guy, but will add offense at the top or bottom of lineup and not many balls will get in the gap on him.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
  3. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Reviewed his numbers at Liberty. In 2019 he hit .247 and 2020 was at .198. Had a medical redshirt in 2022 and then had a great 2023 hitting .309 with an average that improved throughout the year and maintained it over 300 over the last 2 months while batting 3rd or 4th in the lineup. Is known for his defense in CF. Had 22 stolen bases in 2023. Seems like a guy that will improve our defense in the OF and hope his bat can handle SEC pitching, wait to see. Guessing for us, Robertson's bat will have to improve to keep a spot in the OF unless Shelnut is best at 3rd. Either way Robertson has a fight to keep his starting spot in CF. If Robertson and Guy can both hit above .275 our OF is set but that maybe a stretch when we get into SEC play.

Looks like he played his last game at Liberty on May 7th, 2023 which was senior day for him. Unknown if he failed to appear after that due to injury or was his playing days done for some other reason.

Overall its a good and possible great pickup if Guy can hit as a Gator. His defense and speed on the bases can improve this team. If he hits I hope to see him challenging for the leadoff but we are a long ways from knowing anything close to that.

Edit: Liberty came to UF in 2022 to open the season and beat the Gators 2 out of 3 when Jaylen was taking a medical redshirt year.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2023
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Good little ball player that will definitely contend for a starting outfield spot.

• Like Like x 1
  5. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not sure how well Guy’s bat will translate to the SEC but this is a very good late pickup as at worst, he will provide speed and late inning defense. It looks like Evans and Shelton will
    start in the corner OF positions and being neither are real strong defensively, this is a key addition.

6. bigigator15

bigigator15 VIP Member

Oct 28, 2022
    Hollywood FL
    well talking to his old coaches from HS and some family today they said his arm injuring was a lingering one that he had for a few years and never addressed it and played through it. The surgery corrected some strength issues and help him open up his swing some and hit some more authority. It showed and they did play against good competition. Last year he knew his was thru at Liberty. I did not ask anything about why he stopped playing early or did he stop his year a bit early but will ask if people want to know. If you look at his highlight reel his defense is top notch. No matter he can add something to the team as far as speed, base running and defense. But I get the feeling Sully might want him for more then that.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. bigigator15

bigigator15 VIP Member

Oct 28, 2022
    Hollywood FL
    Shelnuts defense really worries me, dude does not look natural at all in the outfield. He looks like one of my middle school kids I train just learning how to play the position.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Similar to Richie S transfer from Rutgers. I don't like putting all this faith into S, R and E as our outfield. Hope I'm wrong

9. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Add Infielder Armando Albert from FAU to team.
    274 6 homers 47 walks

10. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    GAINESVILLE, Fla. — The Florida Gators gained a commitment from former FAU Owl infielder Armando Albert. The rising senior announced the commitment on his Instagram Saturday night. Allen graduated high school from Belen Jesuit Prep and enrolled at Santa Fe Community College in 2021.

May be our SS

11. gatorsfan17_

gatorsfan17_ Freshman

Jul 19, 2023
    With Michael Robertson struggling at the plate pretty much all of the 2nd half this past season & apparently is still struggling (to some degree) at the Cape. It seems like CF is his job to lose. But, I guess we'll have to wait and see what we'll get with Guy. Granted he hit a career best .309 this past season, there's no telling how that'll translate to the SEC.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Albert looks to be a defensive ??? position player for us at SS. He had the most SO on the team at 53 and 47 BB. Yes he gets on base but his 274 average doesn't look as good with the high number of SO. Maybe he starts at SS but the dude had 22 errors last year. Let's see how Shelton and Thomas do thru the fall before we lock in spots on the left side. Nice thing he gives us another batter from the left side if needed. FAU leadoff hitter for the last 2 years says something about his importance on the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. srqgtr

srqgtr Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    The 22 errors caught my attention, as it seemed very high. I looked up our stats and found that Josh Rivera had only 9 errors, which happened to be the most on the team last year, fwiw.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Is he a true centerfielder and if so, will he complete with Robertson for that role?

• Like Like x 1
  15. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Would think our pitching coach, David Kopp, would still have ability to get feedback from those he worked while at FAU, even though he was not there during Albert’s time at FAU.

16. gatorsfan17_

gatorsfan17_ Freshman

Jul 19, 2023
    Based on the few highlights I've seen, I'd say he's a true CF. Robertson's second half struggles (in the regular season) at the plate have reportedly carried on into his play at the Cape Cod League. Again, nobody know hows how Guys' bat is going to play in the SEC.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not a strong close to the transfer portal. Shelton and the VT catcher have the most potential, however they both have a lot of swing in miss in them. The rest are role players at best in the sec.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Plus we are still hoping we get a decent arm to help the pitching rotation. Seems unlikely that a big surprise might drop. If not we will rely on more freshmen arms than many years ago.

19. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    It's a bit early to pencil in many names. There are about six months of workout, plus intense fall and preseason practices. I consider Guy to be promising, but Robertson has shown a lot of promise, regrettably, not enough hitting to go with his very solid defense. By the end of October, things will be more clear, but all of the outfield is uncertain for now.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Definitely too early to make any guesses at the lineup even though I wonder the same. It feels like we will be above average as a hitting team but lacking in pitching depth when it counts. All that can still change before February. The article Nick posted has quite a few nuggets about our guys.
    Recapping Florida’s participation in Summer League Ball | GatorCountry.com

I keep reminding myself we return Kurland, Cags, Heyman, and Shelnut that gives us 4 good hitters. Then we've added Shelton and Donay, gets us to 6 good hitters. Perhaps Guy, Robertson or Albert could develop into a leadoff hitter, might be a surprise though. Having 7 quality bats throughout a season seems to be a good sign of a great hitting team. We need a few more to show they are able.

Pitching wise its great to see Neely had a great summer and good things we see from Jameson. His arm could be a huge help this year if he's gets it figured out again. Also good to see Clemente gets his work in and having no signs of trouble. Too many unknowns about our weekend rotation to be very comfortable going into the fall. Will Cags gain more control and be a reliable starter? Does Neely transition back easily as a full-time starter? Can Fisher handle the opportunity as a weekend starter? Is there another arm we don't know about that will start instead?