Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2023 Official Roster Tracker/Lineup???

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 12, 2022.

1. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    I still think Finnvold is very valuable. Not just because he’s lefty but what he does to hitter’s timing. I don’t think he is going to look like a top three guy in fall ball because our guys know him so well and have adjusted to how he throws… Other teams do not know him as well and have a very hard time adjusting. He’s 84 or 85 when he bust you inside feels like 93 because he lives on that outer edge anywhere from 67 to 79. It’s almost like facing a knuckleball pitcher as it messes up your timing/swing for a good 24 hour sometimes. I’m not saying he’s a weekend starter but it would not surprise me or maybe he starts mid week games. I could also see him being a starter in a regional or super regional situation, maybe not the first game for sure but in game two or game three even having him for a couple innings would really cause timing issues. Imagine Sproat and Waldrep Friday/Saturday and Finn Sunday. I think it’s Neely or Coppola if healthy but never know.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

I believe Neely has earned his spot in the rotation based on his efforts/performances last season. It will only be his to lose because of lack of performance and/or injury IMHO. I hope to see neither of those things for Neely or our Gators.

We have all of the potential to have a filthy rotation. Best of luck and good health to all of our Gators pitching staff this coming year.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Here's an excellent recap of most every Gator participating in summer ball.
    Gators Summer Baseball Recap - Florida Gators
    INF Colby Halter | Cape Cod League | Falmouth Commodores
    Halter experienced arguably the best offensive summer of any Gator, tying for the top mark in the CCBL with seven home runs while slashing .307/.407/.507 with 19 RBI across 140 at bats. The UF infielder also ranked sixth in batting average, seventh in hits (43) tied for eighth in runs (22) and ninth in stolen bases (12). That output earned Halter CCBL All-Star honors, as the Jacksonville, Fla. native barely missed out on being named the league's MVP.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stlouie

Stlouie Junior

Jan 11, 2010
    I think midweek games would be a bad place for Finn to start. They are used to slower pitchers in those leagues. I mean look at his summer league stats. Gave up 13 runs in 9 innings. Not good. Honestly think he’s best suited for an opener role on a weekend. Mess them up for one time through the order and bring in sproat. Not going to happen but

5. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Any word on Fabian improving in Cape Cod league or is he still mired at .200 BA?

6. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I’d slow down on the Finnvold expectations. Yes, he had an unbelievable outing in the regionals against OU but he was pretty bad in limited opportunities during the regular season and didn’t miss any bats in the Valley League this summer (13 runs allowed in just over nine innings pitched).

Not saying he can’t be a positive contributor but to pencil him in as a weekend starter next season, as some are, is a big stretch.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

@Matherly87 just posted above “Gators Summer Baseball recap”
    Deric played in 31 games with 90 AB’s—.211/.267/.294 with 1 HR, 2 Dbls, and 7 RBI’s for the Wareham Gatemen in the CCL.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    And sorry to say, Deric stuck out 33 times in 90 ABs with only one jack. Not a good summer to build on. Not sure how much we can expect him to contribute in 2023, which leads to the question -- what did Sully and staff see in him to keep Deric in the lineup for three months. Gotta ask the question as it was plain to see that he was overmatched in SEC play.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Earlier today I went back and checked the last weekend series that Deric started all three games was the Kentucky series. Sure we won all three against the Cats but after Halter moved to third our defense got better and we had a much better winning percentage the rest of the season.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

The intent here is not meant to be negative—it just covers the specific topic of how Deric did or didn’t progress last season and this summer that’s drawing to a close.

I think that it’s obvious to everyone who watched/followed the team last year. At least by the halfway point of the schedule it was fairly apparent that the game was overwhelming Deric. It became a struggle to watch and I feel sure it was much harder than that for Deric.

I agree wholeheartedly with @Matherly87 — when Halter was moved to third base our defense was immediately better.

The summer continued to be hard at the ballpark for Deric. We will have to see what the fall brings his way.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I just looked up Deric's bio....

High school:

• Two-year letterwinner in baseball under head coach Dale Hall at North Marion high School
    • Named the 2021 Florida Dairy Farmers Mr. Baseball, awarded to the top overall player in the state
    • Powered North Marion to a state runner-up finish as a senior, batting .462 with 13 home runs, five triples, eight doubles, 52 RBI and 38 runs
    • Honored as a 2021 All-American, All-State and All-Conference standout
    • Also competed for the Orlando Scorpions from 2018-20
    • Ranked by Perfect game as the No. 26 player and No. 7 shortstop in the state of Florida in addition to being tabbed as the No. 192 overall player nationally
    Early games at UF:

The first few series vs N Florida, FL A&M, Ga State, vs Miami he was 2 for 9 walks....... . Showed good signs for a true fr.

Opened play in SEC vs Bama he went 4 for 13 (.308) with 3 RBIs. Darn good for true fr.

Somewhere along the line he lost his mojo...and confidence. See Paul DeJong, former All Star SS and power hitter end up in minors with .120 BA....then somehow came to life in the past month and back in MLB hitting again with avg and power.

13. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Correction of above......vs Miami he was 2 for 9 with 4 walks....which is getting on base 6 of 13 tries.

14. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I agree; I think a fair amount is confidence. He has talent. No question about that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Another big info piece of the puzzle coming in. The news on Pierce Coppola is he is healthy. That's all I got, unknown if he has any limitations to go or where he is at, but I would take healthy to mean he will be ready to go this season. Plus I found out that Nesbitt has been at a pitching academy this summer and has improved his velo to the 92-93 range. Something tells me the Gator bats might struggle a bit during fall practice.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  16. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    9 innings isn’t a huge sample size and who penciled him in as a weekend starter? It said “I believe it’s Neely or Coppola if healthy but never know”.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Nesbitt back to his old velo or near it with that change up could be a solid contributor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sounds like he was at the Florida Ranch for the summer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I am not sure anyone is going to make Wyatt struggle. That dude can rake. His limitation going forward will probably be limited to his own head.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Interesting that Cade Kurland's brother, Rivers (Class of 2025) just committed to Florida State. He's going to be a stud for what it's worth as long as he stays healthy.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1