Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2023 Official Roster Tracker/Lineup???

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 12, 2022.

1. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008

Where are you getting this information??? According to their posted stats he has 12 errors in 96 chances and is fielding .889 which admittedly I find to be extremely odd because he is a good fielder. They also have him listed as SS which might explain things if he is playing out of position.

2. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    If I'm Sproat I ask myself, would I want to come back if Sully isn't going to use me as the Friday night starter? Sure I could impact more games in relief but I'd rather get the acclaim of being compared to other Gator greats like Faedo, Singer, etc. and move up in the draft instead of a reliever that might not go until the 5th round.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    Source: CCBL stats- fielding
    Halter, C FAL 31 104 27 34 0 1.000

4. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Pretty sure 74 was just saying he projects as a big league reliever unless he develops a plus off speed pitch, not that he wouldn’t still be a starter for us this year.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019

Fully agree 87- Sproat turned down a well above slot offer from Mets and he is betting on himself to become a first round pick. That means as Friday night SP - "The Ace of the Staff" I like that attitude betting on yourself to be an ace SP.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Yes, you are right. I guess I got caught up in the overflow. I can see Sproat ending up a reliever in the pros. But let's see where he is at after this year and then have this water cooler discussion. My hope is he can turn those last 5-6 starts into a whole season of success. That's the bigger unknown.

• Like Like x 3
  7. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008

Brutcher, D OF 37 306.2 54 0 6 .9
    Halter, C SS 31 266 36 60 12 .889
    Watts-Brown, J P 8 33.3 2 4 1 .857

Totals

They seem to break out the stats by position:

2B 31 104 27 34 0
    3B 31 162 9 26 12

TOT 31 266 36 60 12

8. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    Not sure why there are major differences in stats. I used the CCBL Stats source that has Halter at second and Falmouth Stats- shows what you are showing here. Odd. In any event, I see Halter better suited for second rather than SS.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    If no two-three inning saves are involved yes but in today’s age he’s not being used properly to use just in 9th inning. Think of it this way…if he’s your closer and your up 2-1 over Vandy going into the 7th and your starter walks the first guy, your not going to Sproat? You are going to Sproat and he’s throwing 35-45 pitches Friday night. Maybe on Sunday he gives you 15 pitches maybe. Your point is not lost but Sully’s track record shows he’s very protective of arms. Sproat only gives us 2x a week in closer role if non2 or 3 inning saves are involved and they would be as you can’t lose games by waiting to get to the 9th, just doesn’t make sense.

Those that agree with you would be forgetting the strain he would take off of our bullpen as he will be a 6 to 7 inning guy and maybe longer each time out. You talk about setting the tone can you imagine him throwing on a Friday night and giving us seven quality innings and dominating opponent. WIN on Friday, fresh bullpen, and major mental edge winning the first one.
    He’s showed me he’s got that Dog in him you want.

10. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    You might be right with Halter at second but from the returning guys I don't think you want anyone else at third. The tough part is we haven't seen Shelnut or Thomas in the infield yet, or even perhaps Kurland. Are they a better third baseman? Maybe but until then I keep Halter at third because he has the strongest arm of who we have seen and he can make diving plays fairly well. One more question to be answered during fall ball, hopefully.

11. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I keep going back to this possible lineup and it puts a big smile on my face. Why? It reminds me we are loaded in the infield with experienced players, we are loaded in the outfield with some experienced players and some high potential players, we are loaded with starting pitchers, and we are loaded with experienced relievers. It remains to be seen if these coaches can mold this group into a team that wants to win every time they take the mound or step into the box. Enjoy...

Possible lineup for now
    1B - Jac Caglianone/Yoel Tejeda
    2B - Dale Thomas/Tyler Shelnut
    SS - Josh Rivera/Cade Kurland
    3B - Colby Halter/Deric Fabian
    C - BT Riopelle/Luke Heyman/Salvador Alvarez/Rene Lastres???
    LF - Richie Schiekofer/Yoel Tejeda
    CF - Wyatt Langford/Michael Robertson
    RF - Ty Evans/Matt Prevesk

Pitchers
    Starters - Brandon Sproat(Friday), Brandon Neely(Saturday), Hurston Waldrep(Sunday)
    Other Possible Starters - Jac Caglianone(L), Tyler Nesbitt, Pierce Coppola(L), Jake Clemente
    Relievers - Ryan Slater, Philip Abner(L), Fisher Jameson, Anthony Ursitti, Blake Purnell, Nick Ficarrotta, Carsten Finnvold(L), Sam Sloan, Cade Fisher, William Ross, Cullen Hartzog

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Seems to me like we have a good bit more overall talent, experience and depth going into this season than last. Plus, barring injury, we'll have a set weekend rotation right off the bat. And some solid choices for midweek starters. What about Tucker Talbott? I haven't seen anything about him transferring and when given limited chances he hit pretty well. I, also, have a hunch that Deric Fabian will come back strong in the fall and earn a starting position. Maybe that's just Ocala wishful thinking. But there's a lot more competition across the board and maybe there will be less hesitation for Sully to go to the bench when starters falter than in recent years. Will the returning bullpen pitchers improve enough to be consistently reliable and is there a true closer in that group?

• Like Like x 1
  13. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This is a very good team top to bottom. Even better is they will NOT have a bullseye on them like a few years ago. That will go to LSU who some how poached quite a few transfers this summer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    We are deep with talent but it remains to be seen who ends up where. Pitching wise if everyone is healthy we have 5 possible pitchers that could be weekend starters, at least. Talbott is an unknown at this point. Most of us figure he simply likes being a Florida Gator and doesn't give any thought to transferring. You never know though. Don't hold your breath on Deric. He still is having trouble at the plate through the summer. You ended it well mentioning the closer. That's the big unknown because we have so many possibilities but as you know it takes a special player to earn the reputation of a genuine lockdown pitcher.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  16. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I am definitely optimistic and I don’t see many weaknesses except closer. I really want Abner to take that role.

17. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Your points are certainly valid, especially the tone setting for a Fri night. But I could still counter your scenario.....how about he gets the final batter in a close midweek on Tuesday night vs FSU, then he throws 3 innings and closes that 2-1 Vandy game you project. Now he has sealed that big Fri win AND he could still get a couple of batters on Sunday in a tight game. Could impact 3 huge games in one week.
    Both sides are debatable, and for some of the reasons already listed I would certainly assume he is the Fri night guy. But given our issues closing last few seasons I sure wouldn't mind seeing him in that role.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I'll go with a totally fresh approach. I say let Sproat be a weekend starter all season long and then wait and bring him in to close Game 2 of the College World Series Finals against a team with the most fans in the stadium year in and year out. I'm sure all of you will think I'm crazy, especially if we have won Game 1 with a pitcher that's barely started all year. Oh yeah, that's with a team that only has one hitter that's hit more than 6 homeruns all year and a team that's batting less than .260 on the season. Call me Mr. Original but I like to think outside the box. I'm thinking about running my idea by Sully next time he asks for advice.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Can’t disagree at all. I actually liked your examples above, I just hope Sully would do that, as his track record shows very safe/cautious.

• Like Like x 1
  20. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    With a post season run, 3-4 could majorily change things draft position wise. Just seems like when you get to the big stage of the super regionals and then the college World Series that if you perform well it’s going to benefit you. Won’t change things for Sproat a lot as he’s already known. I will say solid year next year for him and he’s got to be a first round pick.