Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2023 Official Roster Tracker/Lineup???

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 12, 2022.

1. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    We all want the best for the Gators- but Sproat as a player and for his own development would be better off going on to the next level. He has some serious cred with the way he pitched in the last month and Regionals and sense he can succeed in pro ball. Not sure what he would gain with another year in College ball and another year ticked off the clock- it matters in MLB assessments.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    To play Devil’s advocate, he hasn’t been to Omaha. 1 year of earnings, while potentially a lot of money, isn’t a big deal in the grand scheme if he can play in Omaha. Those memories are difficult to put a price upon.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    This year—next year—either way I honestly see him making his living in the MLB out of the bullpen. Great arm, outstanding velo, but the lack of true command of a go to off speed pitch which is essential for MLB starters.

Absolutely wish him the best for his future in this great game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Great point and agree right now I don't see him as a major league starter but who knows what next year brings. I don't think he can have a 12-1 Jackson Kowar type year but he could go 10-3 if he gets enough run support. Record means little in the grand scheme of things but its the fastest way to compare players and the years they were here. I don't see his ERA ballooning but the SEC isn't getting any easier. He did make mid year improvement in 2022 and if that happens again he could carry this team through the super regionals. That is if we can get enough hitters to stay consistently good thru the second half of the season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    87—

I agree with your points about Brandon for sure. It would be great for the Gators if he comes back, but the plain and simple truth is he’s 24 years old and if he has real desires to play pro ball his clock is running.

6. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    He is 21 years old and 10 months.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Ok, still that clock is running.

8. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    Yes- the clock is ticking on Sproat and in talking to MLB scouts at the ballpark- they agree age matters. He would be closing in on 23 next year- which means even with a quick rise through an organization he would be mid 20s by the time of a call up to the show. Some teams frown at that projection.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

77—

Agree completely. That’s the process as I’ve always known/seen it. The pros (if you’re a college guy) prefer you in their system at 21 yoa.

If you’re a high schooler then age doesn’t matter unless the 5th grade was the best 4 years of your life….;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I get the point BUT his slot is $670K. After taxes and agent fees, it isn’t exactly changing his life. $300-400K which he would have to live off since his MiLB salaries are rubbbish. His financial life is determined by his success at the pro level, not his draft position going forward.

So the clock to me isn’t a big deal for Sproat. 1 year won’t make or break him in terms of signing bonus. The questions I think he should ask himself is does he love college (and college baseball) and where will he develop best to improve his shot at making it in the pros?

Both are obviously personal.

He was drafted by the Mets. I don’t know enough about the Mets organization to know their ability to develop arms. Lately the Astros have been very good at it but they have also focused on international players (Luis Garcia, Jose Urquidy, Framber Valdez). And of course he may not get a great team in the next draft either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    All good points- which is why he likely he is driving a hard bargain and wants above slot- with the way he stepped up into the spotlight after Barco went down and pitched outstanding ball in the final six weeks- it shows a lot of mental toughness and maturity under pressure-- and he wasn't pitching against soft teams. Last six starts of season-- 5-0 with a 1.59 ERA and.218 batting average against- and always pitching against the other teams' ace. Plus consistent upper 90s FB with better movement than he's shown previously. He will succeed in pro ball but a tough call for him and family at this point.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

I truly believe what we saw in Sproat’s improvement over his last six starts of the season was the confidence, command, and control that his trusting his two-seam FB gave him to get hitters off of the four-seamer.

He got to were he only was showing his four-seamer in advantage counts up in the zone. That’s a big difference maker IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    Fully agree and his two seamer has wicked movement now that he can trust it. If Sproat returns - and it's looking more and more likely- the Gators will have an excellent weekend rotation- Sproat- Neely and Coppola (I hope)---have Finnvold mixing pitches and driving free swingers nuts, hopefully contributions from couple of the newbies and improvement from Slater and Abner- who looked much better down the stretch- and man- we are talking a formidable staff.
    Gotta score runs though-- losing Thompson and Jud hurts but Langford is a stud and Jac- well- he may be destined for a breakout year. If Halter can continue to rip as he has on the Cape. well that is not a bad threesome as your core batters. We'll see how the new guys work out in the scrimmages- some highly recruited guys coming in.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Don't forget the new addition of Waldrep as well. I know you and I are very persuaded by what we saw from Coppola in the spring practices leading up to his first and only start. Its hard to imagine what the weekend rotation could be like if all four of these arms are available. Obviously we haven't seen Waldrep but if he is as good as some on here think and Coppola somehow comes back as good as where he left off (doubtful) then who gets left out, Neely? Good problem to have. I guess we will know much more in just a few days. Plus we still might get a few surprises from the other guys you mentioned as well.

15. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    @shelbygt350 was asking about this in another thread so I figured I'd run it back thru again with the updates I made a few weeks back. I feel pretty good about most positions other than 2B and LF. Those are TBD during fall ball. If pressed I'd go 70-30 likely Dale Thomas starts at 2B over Shelnut and I'm still 50-50 on LF between Tejeda and Robertson. That's even assuming I'm right on Langford moving to CF. If Robertson has better speed he might end up in CF and keep Langford in LF. Can't wait to see how the batting order comes together.

Possible lineup for now 7/30/22
    1B - Jac Caglianone/Yoel Tejeda
    2B - Dale Thomas/Tyler Shelnut
    SS - Josh Rivera/Cade Kurland
    3B - Colby Halter/Deric Fabian
    C - BT Riopelle/Luke Heyman/Salvador Alvarez/Rene Lastres???
    LF - Yoel Tejeda/Michael Robertson
    CF - Wyatt Langford/Michael Robertson
    RF - Ty Evans/Matt Prevesk

Pitching wise everything changes if we get Sproat back. Coppola, Caglianone and Clemente "The Three Caballeros" are the unknowns to watch in fall ball.

Pitchers
    Possible Starters - Brandon Neely, Tyler Nesbitt, Pierce Coppola, Hurston Waldrep, Jake Clemente
    Relievers - Ryan Slater, Jac Caglianone, Fisher Jameson, Anthony Ursitti, Blake Purnell, Nick Ficarrotta, Carsten Finnvold, Philip Abner, Sam Sloan, Cade Fisher, William Ross, Cullen Hartzog

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
  16. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Ellerts still hasn’t signed… Supposedly he will but he has 48 hours to do it.

The Indians have a few unsigned but they supposedly were going to do one big reveal per the article you previously linked. However, Parker Messick was part of that and his signing has been announced. Campbell and DeLauter haven’t been though (plus Ellerts which is why I wrote this).

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
  17. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Yep holding off on adding them back in until after the deadline.

18. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I was mentioning it solely because you included Sproat in the possible rotation. Ellerts is in the possible pen. I am curious how the body count shakes out. Does UF have enough room if Ellerts and Sproat came to campus??? I feel like UF is going to be over the roster limit.

19. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Got it. My mention of Sproat was in my notes but I have not put him back in the list of starters. I'm not tracking the roster limit, only forecasting the possibilities with whoever shows up.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  20. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    One other note about the backup fielders. If you haven't researched or followed the comments we have some exceptional power in these bats, backing up guys with proven power in their bats. Its hard to imagine guys like Yoel Tejeda, Tyler Shelnut, Cade Kurland, Rene Lastres, and Luke Heyman not getting much playing time.