Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2022 Roster/Lineup/Batting Order

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 17, 2021.

1. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Game balls:

Wyatt
    Fic
    Guscette

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Another interesting stat I saw in the game feed about Jac Caglianone. He is leading the team in batting average with runners in scoring position batting .400.
    Sterlin was second somewhere around .370. Another reason Jac should be batting 3rd.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Starting to wind down from yesterday, I keep going back to the ups and downs of the season and I try to compare that to the effects of good or bad coaching. I said plenty before about my concerns with Sully, but at the same time hoping he gets his personal life together, so the Gators can get back to the top of college baseball once again. But the reality I find is how difficult it must be to coach a team with such young players that can go out and pitch the game of their lives one week and then hardly get someone out the next or hitters that start out hitting close to 400 but barely keep it above 200 in SEC play. I get baseball is a game of ups and downs but these last two years have been a complete puzzle of pieces. Taking some liberties from another poster, "Baseball is like a box of chocolate ants, you never know which one is going to climb up out of the goo." Sure we have seen some dependable players in Langford, Thompson and Riopelle, mixed in with some younger talent like Cags, Evans, and Coppola, but we hardly were a complete team. See saw glimpses of it both as a team and some amazing individual performances. My point is, I'm thinking about Sully in the middle of it all trying to "coach" all this uncertainty. His results show he is one of the best out there and most likely hard to replace. Could someone else handle all these moving parts and pieces along with the key player injuries all in one season? Tough to say, though what stands out to me, Sully has a big job to do getting this group of players to play at a high level and stay consistent. To do that Sully has to be ready to do the same in his own way.

• Like Like x 3
  4. volungator

volungator All American

I agree with most of what you've expressed. However, how is Sully's challenge any different than years past save for the portal, which is a door that swings both directions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019

87, I share many of your concerns about where we are trending as a program. To lose two Regionals at home for a program that was once elite is of deep concern. We've not been back to Supers/ Omaha since 2018. 1-2 years is understandable but the Gators have dramatically upgraded facilities and a University that is the envy of state and region-- well the team has not performed to elite standard for several years and the question should be asked- where are we trending? Are we on the upswing or not? There seems to be a certain complacent attitude among coaching staff and many fans not fully engaged in the nuts and bolts to worry.
    Those that count the days to Fall scrimmage and the incoming class-- need to see player development and fundamental improvements.
    You were not at the game yesterday but to watch the meltdown in 8th inning and see the season slip away in person was gutting. I'm telling anyone who wasn't there- there were serious errors of judgement in the 8th inning that cost us a chance of moving on to play Va. Tech.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    My point is Sully has enough challenges in his own life and if he cleans that up the team will hopefully respond with consistency. My signature below is there for a reason. Its been there for most of the season.

7. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    All good points as well. I wish I lived in town like yourself because I would have been back there after the delay. Those that count the days to fall scrimmage means more to us than most on here except JJH. I really feel Sully's judgement error came from the NC year when he learned to keep an experienced pitcher out there that could close it out. Unfortunately 2017 had plenty of really good experienced pitchers and this team did not. I got to believe he kept reminding himself of that reality all the while over thinking just how reliable his relievers were. I can't blame him for not going to Sproat if he really feels an injury was a real possibility. But Sully should have interjected his own view of what was right in front of him on the field and made the change. Sometimes you can't see the forest for all of the trees.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. volungator

volungator All American

What signature?
    I guess I missed something.

9. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Just like you have a signature that says "A graduate of both" I have a signature that says "Leadership through authenticity allows confidence to thrive."

• Like Like x 1
  10. volungator

volungator All American

Neither shows up on my mobile view. I agree wholeheartedly with your signature.

11. volungator

volungator All American

Did you also graduate in 87?

12. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Yes Bus Admin thus the name Matherly. How bout you?

• Like Like x 1
  13. volungator

volungator All American

Rehabilitation Counseling.

14. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Another week from now you might pick up a lot of new business if you stick around here long.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    Now come on guys-- break it up... No need for this- we are all stunned by the way the season ended. But let's keep it civil. Go Gators

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. volungator

volungator All American

My practice is mostly forensics at this stage.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Cool
    For the record I thought we were keeping it civil. I figured lots of other posters might need some counseling and/or rehab. HA

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Beyond disappointed in what I saw.
    Still trying to figure out why we pitched who we did after the break after he’d already thrown quite a bit that weekend.

Why the infield was playing back.

On another note, I’m worried about our catching situation next year. Here’s where we currently are:

With Guscette leaving we just got super thin at catcher?

BT- likely gone even though would love to see him come back.

Mac- gone

Lastres- Had Tommy John

Salvador Alvarez- will be true freshman

Luke Heyman- big time catcher prospect. Chance doesn’t make it to campus. If he does he could play immediately.

Seems like would have to add a Portal guy. My numbers say 2 catchers on roster with Lastres and Alvarez. If Heyman doesn’t sign that great but you still have 3 very young catchers with one that can’t throw for another 9 months.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Yep I'm watching the same at the catcher spot. I've known for awhile that Guscette was looking to transfer over a month ago. The figured he might be thinking Riopelle would be back, thus the interest to transfer. But BT is most likely gone and Lastres is unknown for next year so why does Mac still want out? Makes you wonder if something else is brewing. Hopefully it means Sully knows if Heyman is coming in.

20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

87—

Not to be a stick in the mud, but I don’t think Heyman knows what he’s going to do until after the draft unless the family is adamant about school.

• Agree Agree x 2