Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2021 Roster/Line Up/Batting Order

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 12, 2020.

1. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Guscette will impress. Not saying starting but gonna be a good one.

• Like Like x 2
  2. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Have to assume that with Mace and Leftwich, along with incoming FR Manning not being drafted, further roster adjustments had to be made to make the money work. Nezuh and Curd were victims of the numbers game and I wouldn’t be surprised to see 1-2 others.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I don’t follow recruits very closely but Nezuh’s ranking suggests this was a very tough choice. The roster is loaded with arms for the next two years so I understand the decision. It just goes to show the impact of such a small draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    You have to wonder about our 5 new infielders. If Thompson and Halter both have UF in their future then someone down the chain might be looking around.

5. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Halter and Thompson are both really good prospects and will not be processed. Not sure we want to speculate on who but I’m sure there will be more movement between now and when the players report in August.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. BSBLGATOR

BSBLGATOR VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    One thing to keep in mind as we look at incoming guys, just because they are listed at a position it does not mean they will play that spot at UF. The trick is to recruit C, SS and CF. Those are typically what you want to recruit and you can move guys when they get to campus to fit where they best project. Most of these guys are the best player on their travel team and high school and will play SS as long as they can to help their team. I know one of the infielders listed will probably be a better OF in my opinion after watching them play.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Who’s that? Willing/able to say?

8. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I could see that with Sterling Thompson. He's a lanky looking dude and if he has any speed could cover some ground in the outfield. Plus he brings another lefty bat to the lineup.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Sully has a plethora of good arms for a weekend rotation. The thing he has to figure out is how many of them can pitch. Throwing and pitching are two different things.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Brady Smith removed from roster and line up. I put newcomer Halter in as a backup at second for now. Probably won't stay that way when fall ball starts.

11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

87—

You can count on a lot of guys getting reps at several different positions as Sully formulates his roster to his liking. I’m going to say all the ass’t coaches will be in top fungo shape by the time Sully is ready to say “Ok, let’s go” defensively.

And for every rep the defense gets you can bet the bats will have their opportunities as well (so I’d guess the same coaches arms will be in shape for an upcoming season of BP).

I also feel like our new arms are going to have an advantage to how they are exposed to the D-1 level of play with our returning arms.

• Like Like x 2
  12. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    It's a shame things never quite panned out for Brady here. We never could seem to find a position for him, and he got squeezed out by a lot of the freshmen this past season. But he can really hit. The power's not huge, but all the fundamentals all there.

In a perfect world you'd set him at DH or first base every day and tell him to go hit line drives without worrying too much about defense. Wasn't in the cards for him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Does anyone have any idea about INF Andrew Roberts? I don't recall him in any games last year. Is he somebody that could play 2nd base as a backup?

14. Stlouie

Stlouie Sophomore

Jan 11, 2010
    So I am trying to verify this but I think you can take Tyler Shelnut off the commit list. He has been released from his scholarship.

15. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Thanks for the heads up. Does anyone else have info on Tyler or what's up with his release?

16. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Tyler Shelnut removed from roster. I wonder who's choice it was for the release?

17. BSBLGATOR

BSBLGATOR VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    On the GC homepage there is an interview with Sully. One of the things he talks about is having to make some tough calls. I am sure this is one of those things he is talking about. With the draft being so short and not losing any current guys so far (not sure about Lang) there are not as many spots.

In the interview he also talks about some of the guys playing in the Florida League. IF you live in central Florida it sounds like you are going to get an opportunity to watch some Gators this year!

• Like Like x 3
  18. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Does anyone know if any of these guys are in the Florida league?
    Sterlin Thompson, SS
    Mac Guscette, C
    Colby Halter, SS - Orlando Scorpions
    Timmy Manning, LHP
    Wyatt Langford, 3B
    Lebarron Johnson, RHP

• Like Like x 1
  19. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I removed Langworthy from the roster and lineup.
    Does anyone have an opinion who starts in LF?
    My opinion from the guys we have now its between Edge and Talbot unless they move Young to LF and leave Edge in RF. From the guys coming in the most likely should be Sterling Thompson if he wants it and shows little problems at the plate.

This will also cause a shuffle in the lineup since Sully liked AL batting second. I put Butler batting second for now and moved Hickey up to batting fourth to keep the R-L-R-L-R that Sully was using.

• Like Like x 2
  20. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Langworthy leaving opens up Armstrong at 1B, Calilao in RF and Young in LF.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1