Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2020 Roster/Line-Up/Batting Order

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 4, 2019.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    You know, year in and year out our new guys come in to the program and what??
    They face our own pitching day in and day out during practice i.e., BP, situational BP, and inter squad games—the level of pitching we have had the last several years has been very very good.

Perhaps the struggles our pitchers went through this past season had a direct impact (because that’s what our hitters faced daily) on our younger hitters as competition amped up as league play started and ran the course of the season out.

Just a thought as to our struggles in league play at the plate.

2. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Afraid if you want to watch Owen's you will need Braves tickets

3. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    100% spot on. Anyone watching knew the kids would take some lumps when SEC time came around. They will be better for it next year

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. taxman22

taxman22 Premium Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    History would suggest a couple of the sophomores will take jumps. They showed a lot of promise. I am excited for them.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I remember in 2010 we put some freshmen out on the field that struggled at the plate cause they weren't quite ready. Mike Zunino and Nolan Fontana

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Yep I'm disheartened by the news. Happy for Tyler and his family but it was certainly unexpected.

7. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Tyler Owens removed as pitcher from OP.:(

8. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    All I heard from Ocala was he didnt want to go to school....this pretty much proves it cause the money couldn't have been a lot

9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

apk—

As you know—if he didn’t want to go to school, then school would have never worked.....

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I thought I saw something around the $500K area.

11. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, think I saw 400ish....which is more than normal

12. 23fabe23

23fabe23 VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    $547k for Owens per Twitter

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Devin Hemenway? I don't see him on the roster, but also don't see where he left the team.

14. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I heard it was not about school. He grew up a Gator fan but the chance to move on up was greater.

15. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Your right in one aspect sometimes to sit a little is not a killer. Fabian was in a horrendous slump the last 25-30 games. For him to sit 2-3 games/entire series would have been perfect. Let him rest, clear his head, and get a different view of things. Martin at FSU started fast and then slumped. FSU sat him and he came back very strong. Those that think Jud should not have sat for some games are flat out wrong. Often times Jud was not close to contact and was giving away 1-2 at bats a game. When a kid is struggling that badly you give him a few games, especially when he’s 18 and you see it getting in his head. Easy one JY to center or right, Dalton to other of spot, and Reese to 2b. Jud was not going to “hit his way out” of his predicament. By Late April he was not seeing the ball well at all. I’d say the same thing for Calilso.
    I think FSU sitting Martin worked out quite well and he sat for a while.

16. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    A day off never hurt a kid’s psyche. When their 18 and 0 for whatever gotta worry about confidence too. Sorry if that’s soft minded but 18 year olds doubt themselves, some just hide it well.

Funny in that if a freshman pitcher struggles 2-3 times in a row he’ll lose playing time quickly but a hitter gets to keep on struggling. Not sure that makes sense. Heck Sully has grounded pitchers ( 2-3 come to mind) that walk kids snd when I say ground I mean we don’t see them for 2-3 weeks. Last few years we’ve had some.

17. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    "A day off" is one thing, but in your other post you were talking about 2/3 games every series.....there is a big difference. Fabian struggled at the plate, and that shouldn't have surprised anyone. But he was our CF, was going to play most of the innings and we were just going to take some lumps at that spot in the order. I'm confident the decision was made early on that any offense he provided as a rookie was gravy.
    This team struggled because of pitching. Anything remotely close to our norm on the mound and we don't even worry about Fabian at the plate.

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    a few games off would not have hurt Jud.

Consider: Fabian finished SEC conference play with the worst Gator batting average and the third worst batting average in entire SEC conference (minimum of 70 ABs) - Jud also had the worst stolen base percentage in the SEC play for players with a minimum of 5 attempts and he had no outfield assists.

Wasn’t ready for SEC play (most freshman rarely are) but numbers speak for themselves as third worst in the entire SEC is far from what we’d exoect from anyone. When the data says things like this, you gotta give a kid a break. Not benching but a break as Jud’s mental state couldn’t have been good and worse yet, he started developing bad habits at the plate.

19. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Not every series, never said that,but for Jud to sit a series or two wouldn’t have hurt. Some think Calilao shouldn’t sit when he was 4-40 and give Butler some at bats. Not me.

I’m not gonna go through the reasons 7 times. Definition of insanity: to keep doing the same thing over and over and expect a different result. Worse yet he developed bad habits they may take a while to get undone. You give a kid a break once in a while and it works.

You always worry about a kid struggling at the plate if you care about development. If we have 4 Brady Singers I still give Jud a break. Breaks are not bad. Kids can and should be coached up during these breaks. Almost as if you just keep swinging and it’ll happen...no it won’t and it didn’t. Numbers don’t lie. Like a running back running into the same spot over and over (brick wall) for no gain and the coach continuing to call the same play. None would agree.

Later Gator. Speaking of breaks think I’m gonna take one soon.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. Uf_1993

Uf_1993 Freshman

Jan 14, 2013
    Agree with what you are saying Shane. Why do position players keep playing when they are obviously struggling but not pitchers. It is not like we could not win a game unless Jud played. Jud may be our best defensive outfielder but there is more to the game than just defense. Sitting sometimes helps gain a little perspective.