Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2020 Roster/Line-Up/Batting Order

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Uf_1993

Uf_1993 Freshman

Jan 14, 2013
    I mostly agree with your statement. Not sure how many he got to that Young would not have got too. I think a CF needs to be a five tool player. You have a lot more chances to impact the game when you are batting then when you are in the field. I heard all season long about McConnell’s defense, and look where he got drafted. MLB loves offense.

2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Good point, it’s just not easy from my perspective to compare Fabian to Young in the outfield defensively yet—out of necessity JY played out of position at 2nd base as you well know for most of the season—I agreed JY’s faster pure foot speed, but JF reads the ball off the bat extremely well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Uf_1993

Uf_1993 Freshman

Jan 14, 2013
    I do remember Young making a great catch at the end of a game to preserve s win. I think it was the MSU game. He played in LF. Looked good making that catch. I agree it is hard to know which one could get to more balls. I watched more college games then usual this year and was surprised to see how many balls hit to the outfield are doubles. If the ball is hit in the gap by most players it is a double. By in the gap I mean LC or RC that are fielded shy of the fence that are still doubles. It is amazing the speed of the players these days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Is McConnell a shortstop at the pro level or does his bat potential suggest a switch to 3rd base?

5. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Watching from 30,000 feet in Miami, I was confused by Crisp's role as the season progressed. He began the season as a weekend closer, but then was making midweek starts, pitching about 3-5 innings and getting progressively worse. For such a young guy, his role had to be confusing to him. It certainly was for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Good points @oneatatime—I agree with your question on McConnell—I don’t think pro ball will leave him at SS either.

Crisp had himself a rough welcome to the D-1 level of baseball. Everyone saw the same things unfold as the season progressed. He had some early success in the close role against start of the season competition (most always pitchers are ahead of hitters at this point as I’m sure you know).

Everyone was pleased with his pace of work seeming to be in attack mode—in reality he was attacking the middle of the plate and getting away with it—obviously, hitter’s caught up.

The downside to this IMHO is he failed to learn how to pitch by spotting the ball up and moving it around in the strike zone (by choice or design). The end result of that was he actually made it a struggle to get outs by forcing his pitches on the heart of the plate and then losing confidence/command/control which resulted in the walks, wild pitches, and hits with RISP.

Ideally the new guys come in with confidence, learn command and control and have the chance to develop their secondary pitches so that they can compete with their complete arsenal of pitches. I have always been fond of saying “you gotta bring more bullets to the gunfight than the other guy”.

7. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    With Crisp, could it simply be a strength of competition issue?

vs. SEC + SECT + NCAAT = 13.13 ERA, 2.51 WHIP, .357 opp. BA, 0.36 K:BB
    vs. others = 3.33 ERA, 1.07 WHIP, .196 opp BA, 1.7 K:BB

In 8 games where he allowed multiple runs, 7 of those opponents made the NCAA Tournament field.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

8. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Many think he is headed to the OF

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. billygator04

billygator04 Recruit

Jun 14, 2019
    Henderson
    I am hopeful that the Gators can get more impactful freshman on campus in the 2019 recruiting class, as the freshman players off of last years team seemed to struggle during SEC play. The four position playing freshman were the 4 worst hitters during SEC play, so I am surprised how everyone is inserting them directly back into the starting lineup for the 2020 season. Losing McConnell, Dalton and Maldonado will certainly hurt the offensive production, therefore in my opinion someone is going to need to step up next year or the 2020 season could be a repeat of the 2019 season.

10. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    As to the 4 freshmen, do you foresee any other players we currently have that are ready to take their spot? I'm interested in everyone's opinion. I think Butler and Armstrong are possibilities but their role as pitchers also cloud the argument.
    As to incoming players if you have info about their playing potential please share with us all. Most of us are trying to think through the line up with who we have now. Once the incoming players start practice this fall then we can start to imagine if and where they might play.

11. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I like bringing in Fabian and Crisp early. Fabian is locked into UF for two more years. This is a guy that was a top 20 talent before his SR year. He lights up his SR year, he may not make campus at all.

Crisp was a top 100 talent. So maybe he wasn’t as successful as he or we all would have liked but he has two more years in the O&B and I would rather burn a year at UF than bring him in now and lose him after 2 years since he would probably have been a draft eligible Soph.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I think in another 4-5 years we will see a new trend of HS kids coming in early and Sully will get much of the credit for it. This past draft was clear evidence that the pros want college kids that have developed. Only the very few HS kids are worth the risk any more. Parents may have figured this out as well to get their kids into college a season early and give their kids another advantage for making the pros.

13. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    There are places in the line-up where you can absorb a weak offensive player for stellar defense. First and foremost is catcher. It is the most important defensive position. Next I would have to say is short stop. Third I think is CF and fourth is 2B. It is a bad line-up if all of these guys are weak offensive players and stellar defenders unless your pitching staff is incredible and your guys can small ball their way to a couple of runs per game and win a lot of 1-0 and 2-1 games. It is also a disaster if all of those guys can hit, but are not good defensively. Then your only way to win is to score a lot of runs and hope it is enough. Does that sound familiar?

Ideally you have a Johnny Bench behind the plate, Joe Morgan at second, Mickey Mantle or Willie Mays in CF, and a Honus Wagner (I had to give at least one really old-timer props) at short. That ain't gonna happen in the majors and it ain't gonna happen in Gainesville. I love Fabian's glove, but to afford the luxury of his place in the order we will have to play some players at critical defensive positions that are not great defensively but can hit unless they are supremely skilled both ways like Bench, Morgan, and Wagner. From this year the obvious answer that it had better not be three hitters that are not that great defensively. The question is how is this fixed?

• Like Like x 1
  14. taxman22

taxman22 Premium Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    Not many freshman have success against SEC competition. It’s men against boys.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Agreed. Now if you don’t take a really good look at our now sophomores we’ll never know if the lumps and lessons they had this past season matured them or not — that would just be more new true freshmen again. Gotta find out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Uf_1993

Uf_1993 Freshman

Jan 14, 2013
    I don’t have a problem with them coming in early, I just think they need to sit and learn the college game instead playing every game(Jud) or pitching in key situations (Crisp). They showed me they were not ready for that. They can still start their draft clock. Time will tell, but I think kids will have better sophomore seasons if they learn what it takes by watching the veterans, and not trying to play with them.
    We will see how it goes next year.

17. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I kind of thought the same with Crisp, looked good early on against weaker competition as a 1 inning closer, but then struggled when asked to work 3-4 innings. My guess, if he can make better pitches, as @74nole mentions, then he might still be a short inning closer for next year. I'm also watching for more info on Owens from Trinity Catholic. If he doesn't fit in as a mid-week starter, he might be asked to step in as a closer if he can control his 94+ mph fastball.

• Like Like x 1
  18. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Talents like Fabian need to play everyday and while his FR year was far from great, a .232-7-26 line mixed with playing really good defense wasn’t a bad first season. To have him “sit and watch” would have been a complete waste for the kid.

Plus in college baseball, if you sit a really talented young player on the bench to learn from veterans his FR year, there is a very good chance that kid won’t be around for his SO year.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    This is baseball. You don’t learn by watching. You learn by facing the best and failing. As @74nole likes to quote, “It is the hard that makes it great.”

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. srqgtr

srqgtr Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    At least having Crisp and Fabian enroll early kept them from being drafted and maybe deciding to go pro. I think they will both end up being good players that help us down the road.

• Agree Agree x 3