Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2020 Roster/Line-Up/Batting Order

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I took Pena off the line up and batting order. It suprises me he is leaving with all the openings we have. Without him, it brings up several other possibilities. Acton might stay at third, with (Fr) Nunez starting at short, or Acton at third, Flint at short and leave Young at 2nd. I'd rather see Young in the OF. If Acton goes to short that might put (Fr) Rivera at third. Its a work in progress at this point.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. KendallGator922

KendallGator922 GC Legend

Mar 27, 2015
    What position do you have Felipe Franks playing? I mean he was drafted so get him on the field.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Catcher

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Actually if he can throw a football 70 yards he might make a great center fielder, no disrespect to Jud. Nobody would test that arm on a sacrifice fly.

5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

87—

You are sooo right, but who would steal on him either?;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Not surprised given his playing time and no obvious starting spot. At least he went out on a high note. I believe his last AB was an HR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    I agree with you about Blasucci about starting ( he could back someone up) but wanted to clarify he didn’t start a bunch of games at SS for FGCU, started 16 and hit 211. SS this year started 30 games and hit 188. Nick could have hit 260 at FGCU by Sophomore year.

8. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Yes on Nesbitt. Has the talent. I think more likely the pen but after this year we’ve got to find or at least give chances.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I see Alintoff also put his name in the transfer portal. I've removed him from the line up of relievers.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Added Nunez and Rivera as possible starters in the infield depending on where Acton ends up. Also show Rivera/Nunez as the 8th batter for now.

• Informative Informative x 3
  11. srqgtr

srqgtr Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    I would think we should have a separate thread for transfers. As far as I know, the current players who have put themselves in the portal are Miozzi, Pena and Alintoff.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Miozzi removed from the lists.

13. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Josh Rivera will challenge for playing time early. Keeps getting better.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Felipe Franks sounds like a hot dog vendor.

I don't think that he is a new Rick Leach, let alone a Neon Dion or a Bo Jackson.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    How would you compare Rivera and Nunez? Have you seen either or both of them play? What are you hearing to know Rivera keeps getting better?
    Thx for any info

16. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Seen them both. Josh played at a higher level high school wise this year at IMG. Always played at high level with Florida Burn. Josh is more athletic as his 60 at 6.65 is quite a bit different than Pena’s. Both have loads of potential but Josh just looks more polished. Looks like a tougher out than Pena. Eye test with the keeps getting better part. Nice offers early and kept working and basically just looked better each year at plate. Others may have seen him more to talk about his glove.

To me Rivera Is coming at a great time as opportunity awaits.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014

Comparing wrong two guys sorry. Have not seen Nunez.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. ufgrad97

ufgrad97 Freshman

Apr 2, 2019
    My thoughts on next year.

This is long, so bear with me.

Pitching:

Pitching MUST improve for things to be better next year. The younger pitchers need to step it up. They need to make substantial improvements for us to have the type of season we want to have in 2019-20. I think Leftwich and Pogue will be our best starters next year. I really like some of the things they showed late in the season. It would have been nice to have Dyson back; he really could have helped. Mace will probably be our #3.

The bullpen is where we really struggled this year. We did not have a consistent “shutdown pitcher” when we needed an out. Early in the season, it seemed like Crisp may be that guy, but as the competition ramped up, his production dropped like a rock. Luethje, Scott, Specht all had their moments, but each had problems with consistency. Ruth had one good game against a weak Bama team but did not have a great season other than that game.

I think we found out Crisp will not be the closer. Who will it be? This is a HUGE question mark for next year.

Offense:

It is obvious that we will miss McConnell and Maldonado; I am not sure who fills those shoes. Langworthy being back will help. Although Smith started the season slowly, he had a great second half. Acton, Young, and Calilao had decent freshman campaigns and will get better with time. Fabian started the season strong but really struggled when SEC season started (middle of March). I think he batted about .170 for the SEC season (not what you want from your centerfielder).

Offensively, I do not think we can match the runs per game from this year. We will need to be close since I do not think we will have the pitching we are used to next year either.

Defense:

First and foremost, we have to improve at catcher. I think a true catcher could have really helped the pitchers this year. I do not think the effort is the problem with Smith; I think it talent. He may be better at an infield position—3rd maybe?

We will need to find a SS and 2nd. Young did ok at 2nd this year, but it was easy to see he is way more comfortable in the outfield. I am sure with Dalton moving on he will be back out there. I think Acton could play short in a crunch. Calilao did great at first. I think he was an outfielder in high school and he really made the adjustment well.

Defensively I think we should be better next year in the outfield. I think Young for Dalton is a plus defensively and I am confident that Fabian and Langworthy will continue to play well in the outfield.

Other thoughts:

I think the experiment of bringing in high school players early was a fail. In my opinion, they did not live up to their billing. All we heard early in the season was Crisp this and Fabian that. Once the level of competition increased, they both hit a wall. Coming in early seems to work in football and basketball, but they typically come in after their senior seasons and are playing games with their graduating class. Having a early semester at school helps them adjust to college life and their teammates, before they are expected to contribute. Starting baseball practice on the day, the student arrives at school is a lot different. Maybe it does work in the future, but I doubt it. Fabian was ranked as a top 20 player in the country and did not have a great season. He played well defensively, but his offense was not good. Maybe his ranking was too high, or maybe it was too much to ask out of a high school player. Maybe bringing them in early is not the problem, but asking them to start is. Being named a starter the first day of practice, instead of earning it during the season may put too much pressure on them and could also hurt team chemistry.

Is our team that slow, or do we not know how to steal a base? Again, I think the best measure is against SEC competition. We were 16-30 in SEC competition. Barely 50%. That is horrible. Last year we were 30-41 and 44-59 the year before that. Acton was 0-3, but I never heard him touted as being fast. Fabian was 1-5. We heard all season how fast he is, why can’t he steal a base? Young was 4-5, but I understand he is the fastest kid on the team. The SEC teams stole 21-29 against us—we must improve this aspect of our game.

It looks like we may have done ok with the draft, but if we are expecting the position players to be starters, and the incoming pitchers to log as many innings as the freshmen did this year, I do not see a big improvement next season. Maybe 16-14 in the SEC season. If things go right, the year after could be a big year.

• Like Like x 2
  19. gatoralumni99

gatoralumni99 VIP Member

Apr 6, 2019
    Great post 97-

I agree with you 100 percent on the Crisp/Fabian experiment.

Crisp finished SEC conference play with an ERA of 11.81 (second worst on the Gator team and one of the worst ERAs in the entire conference)

Fabian finished SEC conference play with the worst Gator batting average and the third worst batting average in entire SEC conference (minimum of 70 ABs) - Jud also had the worst stolen base percentage in the SEC play for players with a minimum of 5 attempts and he had no outfield assists.

I would say that Crisp/Fabian
    experiment got a big fat F!

Hopefully Sully does not turn to unproven HS kids again in the foreseeable future. Go Gators!

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

A lot of what you make reference to statistically is true—and maybe strictly by the kept statistic “outfield assists” Jud may have had a “0” by his name—but if you watched him play then you saw time after time him get to balls to record outs on caught balls that would have been gap doubles or sinking line drives up the middle for singles and he would turn them into outs—on the defensive side of his game he was a treat to watch with many “SportsCenter” type catches—at least in this ol’baller’s point of view.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2