Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2020 Roster/Line-Up/Batting Order

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 4, 2019.

1. 23fabe23

23fabe23 VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    It will be interesting to see how it unfolds. How many spots does everyone see open? It seems to be that LF, CF, 3B, 1B, and C are known. So three out of the 8 fielding spots are "open" but we know JY will claim one of them. I think if you look at the roster from last year Flint would be the only potential returner that could claim one of them but I am not 100% sure if he was one who went into the transfer portal. Maybe Blasucci as he went to FGCU as a SS.

Here is a thought about JY that may not have been thought of yet. How about JY for the DH spot. Then Edge could go into the OF and would allow JY to hit and platoon at second or right based on pitching match up. I think with his ability to help in a few areas we could see JY move in and out of the field but will stay in the lineup on days he is not fielding. Kind of a swiss army knife approach.

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I would think so. Outfielders and infielders throw a bit differently.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Agreed on the spots open and wondering where Acton ends up as well. Thanks for the Blasucci info. I'd like to see him used some at SS/2nd during fall ball.

JY at the DH is definitely different. Because of my likes for Ocala kids I'm still hoping Kirby gets the opportunity as a DH for his senior year. Either way we have to hope Sully can find the right combination of the best players in the right positions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    87–

Good points all around. I was comfortable with Acton at 3rd all year last season and will be fine myself with him anchoring the hot corner—

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. gatoralumni99

gatoralumni99 VIP Member

Apr 6, 2019
    I am hopeful that Sully doesn’t have any KNOWN spots based upon last year’s results. I’d say if they HIT they don’t SIT. The team and the players underperformed based upon Gator standards - Langworthy/Smith are the only two position players that have earned anything - as they both helped the Gators get to Omaha. Let’s hope Sully makes all of the position players earn their spots based upon production and team results.

I don’t want to see another year like last year.

6. 23fabe23

23fabe23 VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    And on September 4th the negativity begins.........

Position guys under performed? Last year was the highest team batting average since 2015. What facts are we basing under performing on? If you are basing a down year on wins and loses, then solely holding the position players responsible for wins and losses it is lazy. Do the research and see for your self.

If we are talking wins and loses then I agree we did not finish where we wanted but it had nothing to do with the position guys. We struggled on the mound last year and that is why the wins were down. It had nothing to do with the guys on the field day in and day out. It was all on that little orange bump in the middle of the infield that caused our wins and losses.

Just so nobody thinks my numbers are unfair lets look at runs for and against, the biggest factor in wins and losses. If you score and don't give up as many you win.

2019 409 runs for 359 runs allowed for a plus 50 run differential
    2018 459 runs for 281 runs allowed for a plus 178 run differential
    2017 380 runs for 281 runs allowed for a plus 99 run differential
    2016 408 runs for 221 runs allowed for a plus 187 run differential
    2015 489 runs for 247 runs allowed for a plus 242 run differential

We scored more runs and hit higher than our NC year last season. What is the anomaly in runs for and runs against? The offense was not the issue. I hate to say it and sound like I am bashing them but the problem was on the mound and not just one guy. The whole staff had a rough year.

So let's further look into the stats. Since Lang has a spot secured let's look at his freshman season. He hit .238. This year we had 4 freshmen. 3 hit higher than .238. The one who did not was 6 points behind Lang's freshman campaign. That fresh was very comparable in almost all other offensive categories.

Nobody wants to see a year like last year but I refuse to accept the position guys being the fault and only 2 having spots set in the lineup based on where the team finished last year. The numbers prove where the issue was and Sully will get that cleaned up.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Hitting was not the problem last year. Pitching needs an upgrade.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

The understatement/undercurrent of this whole post by @23fabe23 is
    Gator pitching underperformed for it’s current standard—and there’s not any reasonable argument to make this observation unjustified—

Pitching has got to do their part for Gators Baseball to return to the level we both love and enjoy watching. I personally believe that there’s not a single pitcher on our staff that doesn’t believe that—

Gator Baseball first—Gator Baseball throughout—Gator Baseball finish—

Who wants anything less???

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Thanks and very well said. I appreciate you taking care of this and setting the record straight.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Look no further than how UF was bounced from the tourney. They weren’t 2-1 losses...

The defense wasn’t spectacular last year but it wasn’t bad. It was middle of the road. Obviously some improvement is needed there and you have to look at Acton making a jump at 3rd (though he was quite good for a FR at the hot corner with a .966%) and anyone playing better than McConnell at SS (dude could hit though!!!). Even Young had some low points at 2B though he was serviceable with a .969%. And obviously the oft discussed struggles behind the plate. The passed balls don’t show up properly in fielding percentage but clearly more needs to be done there.

So the position guys do have some culpability but by and large, pitching killed UF’s radio star.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. 23fabe23

23fabe23 VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    During the last 5 season stretch UF committed (15) 42, (16) 46, (17) 53, (18) 59 and (19) 58 Errors. Bad but not substantially out of whack. Leader in E was (15) 9, (16) 12, (17) 11, (18) 15 and (19) 15.

The 19 campaign was our second worst season over last 5 for walks (210 to 219), second worst for HBP (66 to 69), second worst for hits allowed (557 to 621) and worst for HR given up (65 to 55). The worst strikeouts were 437 this past year. During that stretch the second worst was 555, for reference 3rd was 607.

Again I do not want to sound like I am just bashing the pitchers but when you have an expectation of your weekend rotation and it falls apart it throws everything out of whack. Everyone gets bumped up but they also feel they have to do more than they need to. It is just human nature. 6 of our 16 pitchers used this past season we freshmen. We were young across the board. Take Lang's 8 innings pitched out of the pitching stats and our top 2 era pitchers were freshmen. The season starting rotation Dyson, Mace and Leftwich were 6, 8 and 9 on the team in era.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    if the OF is Fabian, Young & Edge is #44 the DH?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    That would have to be without the normally cold and slow start....He has the experience to handle this role but he would need to achieve a higher level of consistency IMHO—

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    his performance in summer ball was not what I had hoped for, sure he feels the same way

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Our pitching was sub par, but our catcher sure didn’t do the guys on the mound any favors...

16. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I'm still liking the idea to give #52 the DH spot as long as he shows production.

17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Consistency is the key--drive the ball where it's pitched more than launch the ball--for me anyway...

Oppo gap doubles are just as impressive as anything pulled down the line--

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I cleaned up the original post so we can be ready to track the players during fall ball. I took out the draft questions and now the discussion and questions are aiming towards the fall. Feel free to add any suggestions to the line up or batting order as you hear anything. I'm sure I'll flip it around a few more times when we see how the positions are filling out.

• Like Like x 2
  19. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I guess this means Langworthy hopes to make a very messy splash this season rounding the bases?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1