Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2020 Roster/Line-Up/Batting Order

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 4, 2019.

1. gatoralumni99

gatoralumni99 VIP Member

Apr 6, 2019
    I could defiantly see Brock making it into the outfield rotation

• Like Like x 2
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    99—

As you well know, healthy competition is the best thing our team can form themselves on to become the frontline team that is Gators Baseball.....:ninja3:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Yes I don't recall much healthy competition in the field positions last year. Other than JH settling at 2nd, catcher was the only position that we kept wondering about but rarely saw any changes. Hopefully a few extra players will feel a little more push this year and give Sully more options. I think we know LF and CF are settled but all other positions need to be considered.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    87—

Healthy competition is the life line of EVERY great club—For one, I welcome it!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I liked the discussion about possible batting orders for next season. With sabermetrics you would think that it is a science, but there is also a lot of psychology that goes into it. To players being moved up it is often seen as a reward and to be moved down as a punishment.

When possible I like to have a lead-off man that has a high on-base percentage and is a legit threat to steal. If he gets on they have to be serious about holding him close and the right side opens up. Hence in the 2 hole I would like a left-handed batter that makes "singles hitter" contact (line drives and well struck ground balls and not lazy fly balls) and rarely strikes out. And he has to be at least moderately fast to put pressure on the infield if they come up with the ball. I think then you are likely to either get a hit or move the runner along in that situation. If you don't have such a lefty, then a righty that can go with a pitch and drive it through the opposite side can also work. Knowing how to bunt well can be a huge benefit in the late innings of a close game setting the plate for the next couple of hitters.

3-4-5 is called the "meat" of the order for good reason. Everybody knows how to draw up this part of the line-up if you have the horses.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Wait, what? Coach used to tell me he needed me at 8th/9th to set the table for the top of the order.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  7. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Perfect comments Lurker. That's exactly what I'm hoping for this lineup as is most teams. I hope JH rises to the opportunity this fall and shows he can be that lead off batter that way either Langworthy or Acton can be the #2 hitter.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk—

If I didn’t know better I would surely think that you had built a lineup somewhere back down the road before—;)

But y’all know I can’t let this one go—

I bet the “meat” of the order at SWAC is not just based on who hits
    3-4-5(for good reason).......:D:D:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    But the 6 through 9 spots is where the manager makes his money.

Do you hide your defensive gem up the middle that can't hit in the 9 spot? Usually that is a catcher, but sometimes it is a SS or CF. Maybe put them in the 7 or 8 hole so that innings that start at the bottom of the line-up don't start with 1 out.

Who is in the 6 hole? I am guessing your best available singles hitter to protect your stud in the 5 hole, but then 7 through 9 might be a hitting desert so every second or third inning is a bust.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I have just watched a lot of baseball.

Luis Aparacio (HOF) leading off with Nellie Fox (also HOF) was my template. The old White Sox did this when the game was like it is now: home runs. They played the game a different way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    The defensive SS that was there for his glove/arm/range that comes to mind for me at the MLB level was Mark Belanger/Orioles—career .228 BA.

12. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    If Ozzie Smith hit below the Mendoza line you would have to have him in your line-up.

Going for a deep cut here: Ron Hansen.

He did record an unassisted triple play.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Here's a question for anyone pondering Gator baseball....
    Since the summer leagues have finished where does Jacob Young end up playing this year in the field, RF or stay at 2nd? I have him still at RF with my line up but with Edge showing some potential does that push JY back to 2nd and Edge takes RF? October 11 is not far away and all will be revealed but I'm wondering is Edge really that good? Then again if JY does move to RF then who would you have playing 2nd?

14. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    The funny thing about this discussion is that in the outfield you usually put your best arm in right field while in the infield you usually put your worst arm at second.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Is it possible to have the worst infield arm and the best outfield arm? Lol

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Now that is funny. We of the visitor bleacher section would have to wonder with you.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    87—

With the ground he can cover—I would be thrilled to see JY in RF.....

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I definitely agree but that means we need another infielder, not that JY was an infielder to start with. Who would be your 2nd baseman?

19. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    As for outfield Brock Edge is also the defensive star who threw out a Gator baserunner at home plate (wowing several posters here who were present) in the UF/Sante Fe Scrimmage game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    87—

I would like to think that the SS/2nd positions were two of Sully’s top priorities in his recruitment efforts for this year—who it ends up being, I don’t know—I just know JY was asked to play out of position last season and did an admirable job but I believe he should not be asked to do the same thing again this season—We all are aware of his throwing motion from 2nd base and it is not beneficial on either end of the double play or throwing to first base out of the hole—

• Agree Agree x 2