Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2020 Roster/Line-Up/Batting Order

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 4, 2019.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Great information @gatorsbb—

Welcome to the board!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Nice first post!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Great info and thanks for posting. So how do you see Martin contributing the most (starter, closer, DH)? What field position does he play if he is not pitching (1st, RF)? With that kind of average he must be a DH at least.

4. gatorsbb

gatorsbb Recruit

Aug 14, 2019
    Thanks, glad I was able contribute! Martin wouldn't be a good option at closer, from what I've seen, he usually takes an inning or two to start throwing his best stuff. He would definitely be best as a starter. If Sully doesn't feel he's ready to be in the rotation this season, they should definitely rotate him in at 1st and let him DH on days he's not on the field. Crazy part is, if you look at his swing, it's effortless and in my opinion, he's not even close to maximizing his power. He doesn't finish his swing, and his core/hip rotation is limited, if he gets his full body into it and finishes his swing, I believe he has the power to hit the ball 400+ consistently. Hopefully Sully can develop him properly. Barco also has good power as a hitter, even though he's known primarily for his pitching. He's another good option at DH assuming he stays consistent.

• Like Like x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    bb—

Sounds like with Martin (damn, it’s gonna feel strange having that name on this board in a positive light) ;), he may very well be a prime candidate for mid-week starts until he gets acclimated to his new and current arena—always like and need competition.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Maybe they will assign him number "11".

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    :p:p:p:p

You’re killing me Smalls........:ninja3:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Great thread. I am reminded of the late George Carlin who compared the language referencing football vs baseball. Diamond Gators seems so much more civil than the other options. Though I was a football player and ran track (I never had the eye/hand coordination to be a good BB player,) I really benefit from the insights on this board. GO GATORS!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I just wanted to say thank you to all here for not sidetracking this thread like so many others. I appreciate everyone's interest in knowing more about Gator baseball and helping track the possible changes we might see this season. I'm pleased we have made it to page 10 and we are still considering the Roster, the Line-up and the Batting Order for 2020. I tip my cap to all of you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  10. 23fabe23

23fabe23 VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    It might sound as though I am bashing guys and that is the furthest thing from that. I have personally seen a lot of the players in this class play against the upper type of competition at events like the WWBA in Juptier, etc. I think they are very good players but let's wait until we get into the fall to know how the new guys will be able to help. I think there are some high end arms but not sure they are athletic enough to be a two way guy at UF. For instance, I have heard a couple names being able to play first base. Let's not forget KC did a great job in his first season ever playing 1B. He was a converted HS outfielder and was really good with the glove this season. Yes he struggled with the bat late in the season but so did a lot of the young bats. To me that is part of being a freshman in the SEC and playing a whole lot more games than you are used to. Do not get me wrong I am very optimistic about the new guys and the upcoming season but let's make sure we are not counting chickens before the eggs hatch.

In related news, how much fun is the UF vs UGA fall going to be??? We play UGA Friday night for fall scrimmage and then football plays Saturday! Jax should be rockin the first weekend in November!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Totally agree, the 2 way stuff tends to get overplayed. Not always of course, but I rarely expect these guys to step in and contribute as a pitcher and a hitter....it's hard enough to do one well

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. hogtowngator

hogtowngator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So what's everyone having for dinner? Any favorite recipes?

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    good posts, don't be a stranger :)

14. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    We did have Richie wearing the Orange and Blue not too terribly long ago - that's who I think of when I hear that last name:D

• Like Like x 1
  15. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gatorsbb, thanks a million for your informative post.

I'm here in Miami and that is the most info I've ever got on Martin. The Miami Herald isn't going to print positive Gator stuff.

I'd LOVE to see us with some top of the line talent from Miami.

Never knew Martin was such a good pitcher. Fascinating!

This recruit class is loaded with top of the line pitching prospects.

If you're from Miami lets get together when UF comes to town next February.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I added Martin to the lineup in the OP as a possible pitching starter and possible backup at 1st, as to the good intel we got from @gatorsbb. For now its another name to keep an eye on during fall ball and I don't want to forget who pointed him out first. Hopefully this is one more piece that Sully can count on when needed.

17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    87—

I think that’s a great way to put it—“For now it’s another name to keep an eye on during fall ball”....everyone has to become accustomed to their new level of play and learn what is expected of them—

The primary focus for me (besides pitchers solidifying themselves of course) is up the middle (SS and 2nd primarily—we know CF is the real deal, hoping that catcher has matured to the level of play and leadership that are necessary)—

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. gatorsbb

gatorsbb Recruit

Aug 14, 2019
    Last I heard he’s going to be wearing 26 next season.

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    OK, so Langworthy is coming back for his senior year. Great news.

Austin has given us some badly needed clutch hits. He is tho prone to crippling slumps.

Could it happen, and I cringe sorta when I think of this, that say...Brock Edge beats him out?

• Like Like x 1
  20. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Could it happen sure who saw JY beating out Senior Captain Reese, I think they might platoon some and Lang may sharpen his hurling habits as well the kid is a throwback old time base ball player

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1