Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2020 Roster/Line-Up/Batting Order

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Please feel free to give your opinions based on these assumptions. Hopefully this will help any of the vast experience posters here as well as any new fans to Gator Baseball.

1. Feel free to offer as much line up changes as you like. There's still plenty of time to talk what ifs. I'll give you mine but I'll keep line-up changes to a minimum for now and I'm starting mine by who is returning, not with any freshmen possibly starting.
    2. As far as pitchers, they are the great unknown and the biggest area of concern. We can start to piece something together when fall ball gets here with the workout updates from GatorGal and GatorJJH coming back.
    4. Please send in any info about transfers. We all wonder how many changes Sully will make and who stays now that school is in.
    5. The batting order is more for the future of this thread as we work through fall ball. If you know me, I like to wonder about any improvements we can discuss and what Sully might be thinking.
    6. If you are a practice watcher, then this thread is a golden opportunity for you. You know more than anybody before it happens. So let's watch and see how Sully starts to rebuild these youngsters back to the top again.

2020 Roster
    1 Jacob Young OF 6-0 175 R/R So
    2 Cal Greenfield C 6-0 205 R/R Jr ...???
    3 Garrett Milchin RHP/INF 6-5 210 L/R R-Jr ...???
    4 Jud Fabian OF 6-1 195 R/L So
    6 Kendrick Calilao OF 6-1 205 R/R So
    8 Christian Flint INF 5-11 170 R/R Sr
    9 Brady Smith C/INF 5-11 195 R/R Jr
    14 Christian Scott RHP 6-4 195 R/R So
    15 Jordan Butler LHP/1B 6-0 185 L/L Jr
    17 David Luethje RHP 6-5 192 R/R So
    20 Nick Pogue RHP 6-5 225 R/R So
    21 Nick Blasucci RHP/INF 6-2 195 R/R R-Sr
    22 Cory Acton INF 6-0 170 L/R So
    23 Jack Leftwich RHP 6-2 210 R/R Jr
    25 Hunter McMullen RHP 6-2 200 R/R Jr ...???
    30 Felix Garcia RHP 5-10 195 R/R R-Sr ...???
    34 Kris Armstrong INF/RHP 6-4 215 S/R So
    37 Nolan Crisp RHP 5-9 175 R/R So
    44 Austin Langworthy OF/LHP 5-10 195 L/L Sr
    47 Tommy Mace RHP 6-6 200 R/R Jr
    52 Kirby McMullen OF/RHP 5-11 200 R/R Sr
    55 Ben Specht RHP 6-1 210 R/R So

Line-Up
    1st - Calilao/Martin
    2nd - Flint
    SS - Acton/Nunez
    3rd - Rivera/Acton
    ...................INF-(Recruits Nunez, Rivera, Martin, Roberts)
    C - B Smith
    ...................C - Greenfield ??? (Recruits Hickey, Powell)
    LF - Langworthy
    CF - Fabian
    RF - Young
    ...................OF - (Recruits Brinling, Edge JuCo)

Pitchers - Hopeful Starters - Mace, Leftwich, Pogue (Recruits Barco-L, Sproat, Martin)
    .....Relievers - Scott, Butler-L, Luethje, Armstrong, Crisp, K McMullen, Specht (Recruits Nesbitt, Cabarcas-L, Mink, Talbot, Van Der Weide-L)
    .....Unknowns - Milchin, Blasucci, H McMullen, Garcia

Batting Order
    1 - Young (Speed, can bunt, good 1st half)
    2 - Acton (best producing Fr in conf stats)
    3 - Kirby McMullen(DH) - (batting over .342 as summer league All-Star)
    4 - Smith (good April, May regular season, batting .294 this summer)
    5 - Fabian (led Fr in HR, batting .293 in summer league)
    6 - Langworthy (Team returning leader conf BA)
    7 - Calilao - (Team leader in RBIs, great 1st half)
    8 - Flint (.362 in 22 AB)
    9 - Rivera/Nunez/Edge - top newcomer hopefuls

Questions???
    Does Young move to the OF - Does Smith stay at C - Is Acton our best INF???
    Can Flint step up as starter or do these positions go to freshmen???
    Have I missed any players that have left already on my list?
    Mods feel free to merge this into any other summer threads you may normally run.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 11:16 PM
    • Like Like x 6
  2. mkmoney

mkmoney Freshman

Jan 18, 2019
    A few thoughts...

I think Young will be more a utility player than every day starter next year. I think he only hit like .280 something in HS, so his first half was kind of a fluke. He looked over matched against quality pitchers.

Brady Smith will be the starting catcher. I know many have said this year was temporary, but Sully loves this kid. There is a reason why he stuck with him all year and Smith really improved as the year went on. I heard a story that Sully suggested he move to catcher in HS so he could catch at UF. Sully also jokingly said he shouldn't have told him to switch because he looked so good at catcher in HS that MLB scouts started noticing and was worried Smith wouldn't make it on campus.

Apparently coaches are really high on Blasucci as a shortstop. He's supposed to be a great fielder and obviously has a cannon for an arm. If he can hit, he could be the starting shortstop.

Obviously Lang and Fabian are locks for LF and CF. Acton sticks at 3B I would think. I guess they could move him to 2B and put Pena at 3B. Flint at 2B is another option. A lot of options for 1B/RF/DH. Calilao will be in one of those spots. Pena should get a look at 1B/DH too. Also Butler, McMullen, Armstrong. Nice mix of lefties and righties. Might finally see some platoon action with all these guys.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Blasucci is a very good athelete. Was a solid Hs shortstop. He’ll get some work there maybe.

Don’t forget Freshman Tyler Nesbitt

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Nice thread @Matherly87 it will be a while until we do much more than speculate unless we can get a bug into Sully's office and pick up on what is said in the 'post season well this is what I am thinking' coach/player conferences.
    I think Cal is probably going to look elsewhere, he was a forgotten man this past season, pretty much bullpen duty from the get go

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. BrianUF5220

BrianUF5220 Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    Ft Lauderdale, FL
    Pros took and like Dalton more than Langworthy. I get it, there is more upside there.

But as a college player, next year, and you only get one, I think I would prefer Langworthy to Dalton. I hate the "Clutch" word, but Langworthy does seem to come though at key times.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Legend

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    Yes, but Dalton had his clutch moments as well. None more important then that triple that jump started our winning the Miami series. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  7. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    I think this board should institute a ban on posting a future lineup that doesn't include any freshmen.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Agreed at least until after fall ball. By then the reports coming back should be much better letting us know what to expect.

9. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Great thoughts mkmoney. I think Young will play somewhere next year since he put so much into this year playing out of position. Sully is not one to shy away from that as long as you improve and don't make too many errors. His speed is best suited in the outfield.
    I agree with you with Brady staying at catcher because of what you said. Sully seems determined to prove himself right for now. The only change might be a freshman that is hands down better when he gets here but that's unknown at this point.
    Blasucci will be a senior and if he stays it might point to his opportunity at Florida. Maybe some of our practice watchers can give more input.
    I think Calilao stays at first if Young moves to the OF. Otherwise the rest of the INF is a total guess who ends up where. It obviously starts with Acton.
    DH will be wide open but I see Armstrong getting more opportunity at the plate next year as a switch hitter with a good swing.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Young’s HS stats are irrelevant but there is no doubt, like Calilao and Fabian, he struggled in league play. One of the keys to next season is how those three kids progress because all three project to be starters but you can’t have a third of your starting lineup hit below .225 in conference as the three FR did this year.

Agree on Smith simply because I don’t know of any other alternative. Greenfield is the best defensively but neither he or Miozzi can hit. Incoming FR Hickey has some pop but there are some questions whether he will stay at catcher.

Blasucci may get a shot at SS but not sure he’ll hit. He started as a SS as a FR at FGCU but after barely hitting .200 lost his job and basically became a pitcher only the next few seasons. He is a good athlete and definitely has the arm strength but not sure Sully is counting on the kid to be the starting SS in 2020.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Yes I show Nesbitt as a recruit under the relievers. Do you think he is ready for a chance as a starter?

12. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I was expecting we could bug the ball return and get real time updates from the field during fall ball.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    So far I see Barco and Rivera have confirmed they are coming to UF. Are there any others I haven't seen?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. gtrsldrs

gtrsldrs Freshman

Oct 22, 2018
    Pena is gone. No way Blasucci plays SS. Only player capable of SS coming back is flint. He'll likely transfer also. So your SS will be a freshmen or juco guy. For as much time as you all spend on here there no pulse on reality!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. mkmoney

mkmoney Freshman

Jan 18, 2019
    Pena is gone? Do you have any inside info? Most of us are just speculating based on different things we have heard. Not sure I'm going to take flack from a guy who keeps saying we'll have new coaches next year.

16. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    great plan, now is the time to get the bugs installed

17. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Could put cameras on the Ospreys too

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. BobbyGator72

BobbyGator72 Sophomore

Jan 1, 2013
    Palatka FL
    He announced on Twitter that he was going to transfer

19. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That's not a surprise, but a move I was hoping wouldn't happen. Think he can play at this level.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Okay thanks I'll take him off the list.