Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Gardening/Plant Thread?

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by gatorjjh, Jul 11, 2019.

1. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    The golf courses around St. Pete had a lot of calamondin trees back in the 50's and 60's. They were more sour than lemons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    morning rounds completed, banana peels distributed amongst the staghorns, BatFlowers watered, checked on the coral bean transplants I put in the ground last week, checked the hoya blooms for seeds, no luck yet....

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Monday is the day I turn all the plants not in the ground so those in baskets and post get a 180 turn after that I spent quite a bit of time repairing the overhead irrigation set up over one of our tree shaded plant area, got the repair done, tested and moved on to administering TLC to the half a dozen Batflowers in rehab, they are recovering from mineral poisoning due to my ignorance of just how sensitive they are to ph and the effects of our well water on their roots, 2 months ago they were entirely leafless and in danger of expiring, got some advice from a friend who recommended repotting and using only distilled water on them. They have recovered, no flowers yet but all are looking good.
    Spent some time on my percea abunda, seems to be dropping leaves from what I have read recently it may be either watering to frequently or higher humidity than the plant prefers. With last weeks downpours our swamp mallows are back to flowering daily again and the cotton roses are in much better shape.
    time to get outside :) start early enough to get to Gvl for WBK practice this afternoon :)

4. bogeyfred

bogeyfred VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Daytona
    Anyone have any luck with Mayhaws ?

5. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    no help here :(

I spent time this morning repotting a large sea onion and a couple of pups that were in the pot, worked some on organizing plants & hangers in one of my shaded plant hanging structures. Trying to come up with a couple of good places to plant the cotton roses that grew from last fall's seeds and the beauty berry bushes from the same seed collecting. I have put together a handful of combo plantings around the trees near our house, started with some common bromeliads that had out grown their welcome around our fish ponds and added coral beans, not enough sun for the cotton rose but about right for the beauty berry, probably tomorrow's agenda

6. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    took a while but I got all the sea onions and pregnant onions hung in one of the shaded plant structures, then repotted 4 cotton rose plants so they will by fall to be sold at the fund raiser sale for Wilmot Gardens at UF, came across another batch of resurrection fern on deadfall in the woods, got some pretty old oaks on the property and they have been dropping limbs over the summer. Ran across another coral bean with some ripe seed pods, those will get planted tomorrow along with a batch of swamp mallow seeds. Our rouge plant seeds are nearly ripe and ready to harvest, gotta keep and eye on them or the birds will get them before I do :)

7. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    spent some time moving plants around to get them in the best light or into or out of the rin we have been getting here in Irvine, moved both my large anthurium out of the green house to let them get some rain, got all my sea onions and pregnant onions rehung based on how much sun, Discovered a Florida Orchid in some of the resurrection fern I picked up a few days ago and got about 40 swamp mallow seeds in pots. walking through the woods I found a couple of coral beans with ripe seed pods so they may get planted today, been very pleased with the reaction of my batflower collection to there new placement with a little more light and a lot more rain water...

8. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    My grandparents live on 16 acres in Green Cove Springs. Part of their land is declared wetlands so they of course can’t do anything about it. But in that two acre patch grow an abundance of Mayhaws. The deal is I bring Granny the Mayhaws and she makes me jelly (I’m the only one of twelve cousins that will eat it).

As far as growing it, the wetter the soil the better. If you try it, I’d think a container that you keep wet daily might work. They grow in marshes and swamps naturally, so root rot isn’t anything to worry about.

• Like Like x 2
  9. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    there is a low wet area on our property here in Irvine, I'll keep an eye out for the mayhaw, looked at some pics per google some look like red china berries and other look almost small tomato size

10. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Almost looks like a brightly colored cranberry, at least the variety here

11. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    just back from my morning walking patrol, I think we may have some, I'll grab some with leaves and use my wife's plant identifier app :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    No rain here for the past week or so, but has come close lately a few times. When that happens we get a bit of overcast and temps drop a few degrees. This happened late yesterday and I spent the last 2 hours of daylight catching up on some weeding and pruning. Also potted up a couple torch gingers I dug up from my Mom's back oval that I will keep in pots so they don't spread too far.

I also fertilized some of my palms...the 3 Coconuts, the 3 Piccabeens, my Cuban Old Man, and a Cabada. Forecast calls for showers this week which will potentially allow for additional opportunities for gardening sessions.

Right now it's mostly about maintenance and I do have a few re-organizational projects as well but nothing extravagant. I plan to do more when things cool off this fall/winter.

• Like Like x 1
  13. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    we got another .25 yesterday and forecast is more later today.
    We have ginger wild on part of our property dug some mid winter and planted it around our koi pond to see how it would do, it is just fine, several top 3.5 feet and no sign of stopping :) my wife moved some of the wild coffee plants from the scrub to the same pond, out of 6 or 7 only one succumbed to the moving.

monday I turn all my plants that are not in the ground ie hanging stuff and things in pots, it takes some time but it does seem to help with baskets and pots to keep the plants somewhat symmetrical especially the cane begonias and dieffenbachias, the jades and stags go where the go regardless :)

14. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach

Rotating potted plants is important - kudos to you.

What species of Ginger do you have?

Most Ginger needs shade to do well.

I have an old root ball from a Staghorn I intend to grind up and possibly use as a potting medium. Not sure if it's worth pursuing - will report back.

15. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    No idea about the ginger we have a 30 x 30 patch of it a ways away from the house, it gets morning sun the rest of the day is shaded by oaks and pines, the ones we moved to around the koi pond gets no direct sun, again under oaks and pines. I will try to remember to ask my wife if she knows the variety of the ginger.
    The old staghorn ball ought to make great rooting or potting medium, did you save any pups from it? Stags are my fav plant, my Dad used to have them under the oaks at his place on the lake, perfect spot, some of the ones I have are from the ones I got when he passed. None of mine are the granddaddy size you see from time to time, until about 5 or 6 years ago I would divide them and give some away and start others to keep for me. I have some fair size ones but not the ones 4 or 5 feet across.

16. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    The most common Ginger is the Shell Ginger. Can get head high and has large leaves and a cluster of white flowers that look like shells.

Yes, I did divide that Staghorn and have 5 offspring that are coming along nicely. I mounted them all on short planks of wood that I then strapped to trees and posts. Some of them I will be re-locating at some point. That's nice you have some from your father.

Quick story - I did a job over in Winter Park once for an architect here who gave me a lot of work. This was his daughter's house. It had a huge Staghorn hanging up in back that he said I could have. The day came when we were going to put in some trees and I left instructions for my crew to do a few things while I swung by the tree vendor to pick up the trees on my way to the job. One was to remove the Staghorn and set it aside. When I got there the Staghorn was gone. The workers had taken it and brought it out to the front curb while they went back to work in back. Someone apparently drove by and thought it was being discarded so there went that nice Staghorn. Boy was I pissed!

17. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I would have been beyond pissed :)
    I have a friend that owns a saw mill specializing in reclaimed river or lake logs, I go by about twice a year to get log ends that I use to mount stuff, if the 10/12 pups I have come along well I will have to go back sooner :)
    In New Symrna do you have any trouble with salt air?

18. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    No trouble with salt air as long as you are aware of which plants are salt tolerant - and which ones aren't.

Also there are the philosophies one adopts. The catcher's mitt metaphor - for the zone just on the other side of A1A - where the plantings act as a catcher's mitt for salt air (and silica sandblasting).

No rocket science - but there is a science.

Whenever a landscape client asks about using a particular plant I know won't do well - I tell them "If you don't see any growing in this particular coastal zone...there's a reason why."

That usually conveys the message as good as one could convey it...lol....

19. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    great line :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    spotted several on my morning perimeter patrol, not surprisingly they are in the areas where a bunch of cardinals nest.. we have a pretty wet semi bog area by one of the gold fishponds may be abe to bring 1 or 2 up near the house

• Like Like x 1