Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Gardening/Plant Thread?

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by gatorjjh, Jul 11, 2019.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    looks like a burmese I had back in the 80's interesting cat

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    He's one of four who showed up as babies in my side yard about 12 years ago. The two brothers were still here last weekend but one of them is on walkabout this past week so I'm down to one now, unless Banjo comes back home. They're my gardening companions.

3. goneagaingator

goneagaingator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Beautiful edging.

That’s how garden beds are supposed to look.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. goneagaingator

goneagaingator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Is that chocolate chip ajuga in full bloom, Bazza?

5. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    The upload photo feature on the forum has a size limit just under what I have my photos formatted at coming out of my camera. If the limit could only be just a wee bit higher......

6. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    just a guess, vanilla bean?

7. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    No - but good guess. Trying to remember the exact name - it's been a while since I've used it. Blue 'something'. Waxy leaf, low prostrate growth habit. I'll find out and get back to you tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Epidendrum hakalau "Super Red" - mounted on bamboo.

This is my varigated vanilla orchid.....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Ah......finally came to me.

Scaevola aemula 'Blue Wonder'

There's a some other varieties too including some purple ones.

10. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I have a smaller one just getting it started, how do yours do over winter? my green houses are full :(

11. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    What kind of grass? When I lived in St. Pete we had St. Augustine.

12. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Is there anything wrong with a gardening thread? Nope....as long as you don't mind talking to yourself. I don't mind. I always say that there is nothing wrong with talking - or posting - all by yourself as long as you don't argue with yourself. That would be weird.:)

The only problem with a "gardening" thread is that it is kind of a provincial topic. I am in Virginia (Zone 7) and talking about how my paw-paws are growing is kind of boring to my Gator brethren attempting to grow mangos in Florida or cranberries in Maine.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    [​IMG]

Also - yes, the small patch of yellow ground cover is Creeping Jenny (it surrounds a small rock) and in the next bed over the silvery looking ground cover in front of the Mammy Crotons is Licorice Plant (Helichrysum petiolare).

• Like Like x 2
  14. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach

Good morning te......

If you don't mind my take on your post.....

If the thread title was "Florida Gardening Thread" - you might be correct.

Gardening is gardening and many here have lived in other places than just Florida, and as such may have gardening interests & experiences outside Florida.

Someone like myself who was born in California may enjoy discussions of the many Japanese Gardens one finds in many areas of that state.

Or someone like myself who lived in Virginia as a youth and still has an older brother living there may enjoy gardening topics touching on plants from that area of the country.

What about travel? Those like me who have been to Puerto Rico, Nicaragua, and Tahiti and have stories and photos to share about the flora in those beautiful countries....would very much enjoy the same from fellow travelers here.

Gardening and horticulture is like no other passion in the world in terms of diversity as well as the science involved in how it all works.

In short - yes - we would love to hear about your paw-paws so let her rip! :)

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  15. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Yes - St. Augustine - variety is 'Floratam'. It's the most popular turf variety here.

16. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    I remember when monkey grass was popular-what a disaster. I dug all of mine up and burned it. Does anybody out there still have it?

17. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    we have a lot of creeping jenny almost all of it grows next to and/or drapes into our fish ponds, they share the edges with resurrection fern gleaned from dead oaks in our scrub, nice combo here

• Like Like x 1
  18. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    so test your theory by posting and let the audience decide

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I post for getting great reviews. If I drone on about paw-paws and get a "dislike" I am not sure I will be able to live with myself.;)

And to the unknowing, paw-paws are THE best fruit trees that you can grow in the regular USA climate that most people have never heard of (except for the children's song). They have a taste that is sort of a combination of a mango (in that family) and a banana. You can eat them when you find them on the ground (they should be starting around the middle of August) by opening them up and spitting out the seeds (they look like large, dark brown fava beans). Or you can do what I prefer and harvest the soft pulp inside and puree it and use it to make THE best non-chocolate ice cream you can make: paw-paw ice cream.

And a chilled paw-paw was the favorite dessert of George Washington. The problem is that the fruit is VERY perishable and so no one has figured out a way to make money growing them. You can find them in the woods and usually beside a river. But the best ones come from a cultivar.

And to this thread, I prefer to have edible plants in my landscaping: those which look good and provide fruit. And to that, and for you Florida natives, I bought a kumquat bush for my father who lives in the Jacksonville area. The sweet variety makes GREAT marmalade. Great for making a bunch and giving it out for gifts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    grew up eating kumquats from my grandparent's yard, my favorite from their yard was the calamondin, can be really sour which I like, I think it is a cross between and orange and kumquat