Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(WBK) Gamecocks and Gators Thursday Night (Gamecock Preview)

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatorjjh, Jan 9, 2019.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Gamecocks and Gators Thursday Night at Colonial Life Arena
    Gamecock Sports
    COLUMBIA, S.C. – No. 21/25 South Carolina looks to remain undefeated in SEC action when it hosts Florida Thursday night. The Gamecocks (10-4, 2-0 SEC) are one of four women's basketball teams at 2-0 in league play so far this season. In fact, the Gamecock basketball teams are a combined 4-0 in league action – the only SEC school to be undefeated in conference basketball action.

SOUTH CAROLINA NOTABLES
    • South Carolina is one of four SEC teams to open league play at 2-0, helping the Gamecocks move up in both polls this week as they stand at #21 in the AP Poll and re-entered the USA Today Coaches Poll at #25.
    • The Gamecock defense has been locked in, holding eight opponents under 60 points this season, including both SEC games so far. In league play, South Carolina leads the conference in opponent field goal percentage (.304) and blocks per game (10.0) and is third in scoring defense (58.0 ppg). Overall, the Gamecocks lead the country with 7.6 blocks per game.
    • Few players had a more impactful start to SEC play than Gamecock forward Mikiah Herbert Harrigan, who averaged a double-double and blocked 5.5 shots per game last week. In league games, she is second in rebounding (12.5 rpg) and 14th in scoring (14.5 ppg). Only Preseason SEC Player of the Year selection Teaira McCowan of Mississippi State has been more productive than Herbert Harrigan in SEC games this season with her 14.5 ppg and 16.0 rpg, though she blocked just 1.5 shots per game.
    • SEC play has seen junior Te'a Cooper put her full stat-stuffing game on display as she averaged 14.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, 5.0 assists and 1.5 steals – team highs in all but rebounds.
    Gamecocks and Gators Thursday Night at Colonial Life Arena - University of South Carolina Athletics
    Alexis Jennings

2. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Stopped by 2 practices this week the team appears to be well prepared for a topugh road game in Columbia Thursday, they had Monday office followed by a rigorous but high spirited practice on Tuesday, lots of work done on defense both days. They had 2 pretty extensive film studies so they shouldn't be surprised by what the Gamecocks show on O or D.
    The coaching staff was consistently urging the team to do a better job of communicating, the group doesn't really have a vocal leader and the communication does not come easily to them.
    Most practices the only others on the balcony are the 2 video guys but Tuesday I got to meet and chat with one of the Dads there to watch is daughter, when he sat down he called me by name ????? then he said I read your blog on NBN and my daughter said you would likely be at practice we had a good conversation, mostly about his daughter, her recruiting and observations on UF, all positive and detailed, Dad had been a BB coach for 20+ years so he knew what was smoke and what was real on the court and in recruiting.

Most important thing from all that to me is the reminder that players, coaches and parents (family) read GC.