Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gak

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by jeffphillips21, May 17, 2019.

1. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Does anyone know if Gak is continuing to progress and is still projected to play next year? If he does, what kind of production can we realistically expect from him? It seems to me, aside from Blackshear coming or going pro (likely G League), this is the biggest question in the offseason.

If healthy, what kind of a player will he be. Does he have what it takes to be our starting center from day 1? We've all seen glimpses of what he can do, but will he be better or worse than expected. Would he be a reliable starter at the 5, both offensively and defensively. He definitely has the size, and from what White said early last year he's an underrated passer and has a good feel for the game. But who knows....

2. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Legend

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    I heard he will be returning some time in January ;)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Is this a joke?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Legend

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    I remember being impressed with Gak's play the year that Egbunu went down. He provided good minutes when he was healthy. There is hope he can return to that form, but really you never know when it comes to knee injuries.

5. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Wish I could help Jeff but alas, I have no pertinent info. to share.

6. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Yes.

Based on when John Egbunu was projected to return.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett VIP Member GC Columnist

I'm told Gak is totally healthy and should be prepared to play, but despite hearing he's totally healthy I still feel like I'll only believe it if I see it.

Here is an article I wrote about a month ago on what Gak could bring.

Looking Towards Gorjok Gak’s Return | GatorCountry.com

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. CASontag

CASontag GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007

Well I hope for the best, but yeah, seeing is believing ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I thought Gak had some solid potential coming in to be a solid starter, but it's tough to feel that way now.

I'll just be happy for him if he can stay healthy a full season, even if just a 10-15 minute player.

10. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Right now, Gak likely is our best chance at having a quality starting center next season. Let's hope that he is at 100%.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    I agree. He's been in White's system for 3 years now, has experience, has size. Just needs to healthy. That's the giant question mark, but the last comments coming from the staff were that he was on schedule to return next year - but we all remember Egbunu's "return" schedule so who knows. Personally I'd keep him in a an oxygen or even cryogenic chamber until October, just in case he re-aggravates or blows his knee again this summer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    He was participating in full contact recently.

• Like Like x 3
  13. luvtruthg8r

luvtruthg8r Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The difference is that Egbunu was never declared to be healthy. All we ever had were hope and expectations with his situation. With Gak, he has been declared totally healthy many months before practice even starts. That is much more definite, to say the least, and that's a big difference.

I of course share everybody's hesitance at being optimistic.

• Like Like x 1
  14. fijigator

fijigator Senior

Apr 4, 2019
    I'm thinking that if there was any good news to report, we'd all know about it. Players who are progressing well don't just stay quiet about it. It gets out that he's progressing. But we didn't hear a peep about Egbunu until it was told that he wasn't going to play. I fear we'll hear the same about Gak. Not good for whoever's in charge of the surgeries for our players.

15. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Wonder if anyone has some videos of him out there, even just running full-contact drills. Would love to see how he's moving and get a better idea if he's skillset has improved too

Just sent him a message via Twitter. I'll let you guys know if he replies

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  16. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gak is not as good as Egbunu was but playing is more valuable than Egbunu sitting on the bench.

17. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    If he is 100% he might be, but that's just exemplifying how inept our roster has been as far as paint presence. We theoretically have 5 options - Stokes, Gak, Basset...and the true freshmen Payne and Jitoboh. Which seems like alot. But based on what we've seen so far, IMO, none of those guys really inspire confidence... for different reasons. I've been saying for several years now we just don't have a true starter quality player. Even Hayes, as nice a career as he had, if we wanted to compete for championships we needed to recruit such that he was a solid 6th or 7th man rather than the only option at the 5.

Stokes and Gak have injury issues, and Stokes needs to gain agility somehow to be a reliable player (let alone a starting 5 quality player).

Basset is more of a 4, last year he made himself into a decent role player as a 4 but not a great rebounder - which is brutal if you are already playing small ball and asking him to play the 5.

Payne and Jitoboh are true freshmen and will surely have an adjustment period. Hopefully they come in and by the time the fall comes around they are more ready than we think to at least lock down the defense and rebounding. Because whoever fills that spot has to at least do that or they are going to be a downgrade even from Hayes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    You’re analysis is right on point. Ideally, we should have 4 quality players at the 4 and 5. Right now, we only have Johnson, and he is playing out of position. We can get by if 2 out of the 5 guys that you mention above emerge. Right now, Bassett might be the best of them, which is saying a lot because he is not very good. Gak, if healthy, could become the starting center. He is huge, is reasonably talented and will be in his 4th year in the program. Stokes needs to continue transforming his body. If he does so and materially improves his quickness and jumping ability, he could be really good. Bassett needs to continue to improve his skill set. He has the good body right now, and he moves his feet well on defense. The freshmen have a lot to work on, but they both appear to have plenty of upside. So, we have a ton of ifs at the big man positions. Give me 2 out of 5, and I will be happy. Give me Blackshear, and I will be deliriously happy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Yes, if we get Blackshear we're golden, at least for next year. But I wouldn't be surprised if he stays the pro route, even if he doesn't get drafted. As such it's still a big unknown that he even comes back to college IMO. Aside from all the upside of our freshmen, it's tough to come in at the 5 out of HS and back with all the centers in the SEC. I'd rather have a big 22-year old that's been in our system for 3 years, as a solid option. Just have no idea how good that option is and if he'll be fully healthy come November.

A lot of IFs I agree...

20. BigByte1

BigByte1 Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    There is another big “IF”. Can coach White develop an offense below the foul line? Create passing angles from the outside in, and have the other four moving and cutting off the big. It can’t be just dribble drive, I believe you need both to win at this level or else it’s like swimming with one arm. I really believe Coach can do it .... but we haven’t seen it yet . This is going to be a very fun year to see how we develop, not where we start. The tools are in the barn and the ground is fertile and ready for planting, what kind of harvest will we have in March.... i’m hungry !!!