Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gak is Back, Ready for More (Chris Harry Lengthy Feature)

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatorjjh, Jun 14, 2019 at 4:56 PM.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Friday, June 14, 2019
    Gak is Back, Ready for More
    UF Chris Harry / Senior Writer
    Fourth-year junior center Gorjok Gak has not been healthy since the end of his 2016-17 freshman season ... until now.
    GAINESVILLE, Fla. — The magic-marker scribble on the wall-sized grease board in the basketball office of assistant coach Darris Nichols' is faded, but still legible 13 months later.

I will be in the gym everyday!
    Gak 5/16/18

Yes, Gorjok Gak made that written pledge in the early stages of recovery after his knee surgery in April 2018, a procedure he underwent once the Florida basketball team concluded its 2017-18 season. He made good on it, too, albeit with limitations. Considerable limitations.

"He definitely tried, I'll give him that," Nichols said.

The 6-foot-11, 254-pound Gak, accompanied by a manager, did daily form-shooting while seated in a chair in an empty gym, and was a fixture on the sidelines during practices (when not in the weight or training rooms). Ultimately, though, he played in zero games during a third collegiate season. The last time Gak got between the lines when it counted was UF's loss to Texas Tech in the 2018 NCAA Tournament, when he played five minutes, grabbed three rebounds and did not score. That was nearly 15 months ago.

Gak is Back, Ready for More - Florida Gators

• Like Like x 2
  2. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Down to 232 lbs. after some hard work. I'm looking forward to getting that kind of shot-blocking length back on the court.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    For those of you who said that Gak should go because he’s not a team player, this article sure sounds like the opposite is true.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Our Gak Attack is Back?

• Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  5. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    So long as his knee doesn't crack.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I guess I missed that. Who said he's not a team player?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    There were quite a few posters saying earlier in the year that Gak had been cleared to play, refused to do so and was acting against the team’s interest. The article says otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Was this on another board? I don't think it was more than a random poster or two around here. Some might have speculated that he was healthy but not in any kind of shape where he could contribute. I think most on this board just throw their hands in the air and lament the fact that our program does a poor job providing any injury/rehab updates, or even what the injury is.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    I could be wrong, but my recollection is that several posters were calling Gak a bad teammate. I don’t know whether it was on this board or the premium board. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019 at 12:54 PM
  10. fijigator

fijigator GC Legend

Apr 4, 2019
    The Chase Johnson saga is to this day a complete mystery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Yeah, I know that there are patient and student confidentiality rules, but it sure seems that UF -- in all sports -- used to be a lot more transparent in this. Call it the Will Muschamp Effect.

12. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Egbunu definitely was definitely on the receiving end of accusations from many on this board that he was capable of playing and simply sitting out in order to prepare for the draft. I hope everyone who said something like that still feels bad about themselves.

13. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2007
    Great read... Thanks for posting! Really looking forward to seeing what he can do if he stays healthy.

I think we can put the pitchforks and torches away though. If there were any anti-team decisions made at the time, they certainly weren't going to surface in a piece like this.

• Like Like x 1