Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gainesville's Good Old Days of Radio, Rock n Roll & Entertainment

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by HallGator, Mar 4, 2018.

1. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Every since I read @mulegator was a former DJ in Gainesville I've wanted to start a thread dedicated to past glory days of radio and music. Not limited to only Hog Town but the changing music scene that graced us during the 50s, 60s, and 70s. A time when we made the transition from local AM stations such as WGGG and WAPE, along with fifty thousand watt behemoths that could be received at night throughout the county, to FM Stations like WGVL and Gulf 104.

A time also where the face of America was changing rapidly due to the Vietnam War, The Peace Movement, British Invasion and the coming of age of America's Baby Boomers. Being born in 1950 I was part of this as I know quite a few of our other members were as well.

I ran the idea past mulegator and he liked it. Through him I was able to learn that another of our members @malscott was also a DJ in Gville during those early years and he was asked to join our conversation, which he graciously did; bringing even more info into the idea. If there are more of our members that were involved in playing or bringing this music to the forefront in any way I invite them to contribute too.

I hope this draws people in that will give their perspective of growing up during those times and what they remember as well as others who may just find it interesting. Which, of course, means it is not limited to those of us who matured during those years or even the Gainesville area. But rather your remembrances of that great period or stories you may have heard about it.

What this is not:

It is not meant to turn into an argument about any of the linked articles or their pros and cons. What is used in the above is for reference only with neither endorsement or criticism. The last thing we want is to turn this into a TH thread. It's sole intention if for fun, reminiscing, and sharing.

While many of those involved in this history have moved on and left this world, it is far from the..........

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. mulegator

mulegator Neanderthal Ninja Vigilante Moderator VIP Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    This will be a lot of fun HallGator! Thanks for putting this together. I have a few stories to share, I know MalScott does too, and I'm certain many of our Gator pals, guys and gals, do too. I hope this will branch out into the bands and the music of the day, and the whole scene of the Psychedelic Era, early rock n roll, the music, culture and entertainment of the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's etc.
    [​IMG]
    How many of these people can you name ?

Link: Gainesville Rock History

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. WhattaGator

WhattaGator All Along The Watchtower Moderator VIP Member

Wow! This does bring back memories!

I had a South Jersey based band, pretty much straight out of high school (and I do mean HIGH school):rolleyes::cool:

We got picked up by the William Morris agency, and signed on as an opening band for J. Giles

I know we did a show in Orlando, and I think, but can't be positive through the haze of traveling and illicit goodies, that we did a show in what would become the O-Dome.

I didn't have much time to check anything out, but I got great vibes, and I made it back!:)

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. mulegator

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    Gainesville had some really great radio back in the 70's.
    WGVL and the Underground Pipeline.
    MalScott was with the Underground Pipeline; I was with WGVL 75-79.
    We both have stories that we'll be sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. wygator

wygator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 31, 2010
    Don't forget the Midnight Padre!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. mulegator

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    [​IMG]
    The Maundy Quintet
    Clockwise from top left: Boomer Hough, Bernie Leadon, Don Felder,
    Barry Scurran, Tom Laughon

WGGG Top Jock Boomer Hough
    Bernie Leadon and Don Felder - The Eagles

[​IMG]
    Bernie Leadon and Don Felder cut their musical teeth with The Maundy Quintet, whose band van was sponsored by Lipham Music Store. The band played for “Quilting Bees, Funerals and Wild Parties.”

http://gainesvillerockhistory.com/MaundyQuintet.htm

• Like Like x 2
  7. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Damn the torpedoes! Moderator Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    Great stuff, guys. @WhattaGator , might you have any concert posters stashed away anywhere? that would be neat to see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. WhattaGator

Navy, I had tons of them stashed in my old bedroom at my parent's house, in my closet, along with about a thousand Topps baseball cards, in perfect condition, National Lampoon magazines from issue #1, comic books, all from the 60's

I then went off to Culinary school at Cornell, worked up and down the coast, went through a couple marriages.

When I remembered, I was visiting my mom by car, so I went up to my closet, and NOTHING was there!

I asked her where all my baseball cards, tour posters, and comics were, thinking she moved them to the garage.

She told me that she sold "all that crap" at a garage sale!:mad:

The posters meant something to me... but the baseball cards alone would have made me a nice retirement fund!

I told my mom that she made someone VERY happy by selling about a million dollars worth of baseball cards for five bucks!:mad::eek:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Damn the torpedoes! Moderator Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    Argh! That's a shame. My Mom did the same thing to me. She couldn't stand to have 'stuff' around...even if it was out of the way up in the attic!

10. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I was paying a lot of attention to the local music scene in the mid-70s in Gville. Spent a lot of time at the Longbranch. On the plaza. Archer Road Band, Road Turkey, RGF.
    Gary Gordon was always a lot of fun. Half musician, half comedian up there.

As far as DJs, I remember Montana who would send his music "out to all the really good people of Gainesville." I always figured he meant me.

Years ago, when I first got on Swamp Gas, I guess the Pub, some of us were talking music. There was a guy on the board who owned the record store that was in the College Inn/Purple Porpoise building on University. I spent a lot of money there.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Was hooked in WGVL when I first got to campus in'76. Had grown up in the panhandle and had never been able to listen to a good radio station. It was late during that school year when I first heard American Girl. What was your DJ name?

Loved the Underground Pipeline. We had that on 24/7 when we lived out on Williston Rd. near the vet school cow pastures. Loved when they stopped playing music and just played a loop of surf breaking. I once came out to find my female roommate and childhood best friend naked and swaying to the sound of the waves. She had come home drunk and was sleep walking. I was afraid to wake her up so I just sat there and watched her until she stumbled back to her room.

I was so in touch with the programming on that station that I once requested a song just as the DJ was queing it up on the turntable. I never heard a radio station that good until I moved to Atlanta and started listening to Album 88, WRAS FM at GSU.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville

Going clockwise from top left puts Tom Laughon directly under Felder. In the second picture he is on top of the van in the middle. Tom was the son of the Reverend Fred Thomas Laughon who was the pastor of The First Baptist Church on West University a block or so east of 6th street. Fred Laughon died about 15 years ago and Tom's sister Nel died in 2011 of complications from early onset Alzheimer's. She was 64. Their mother Helen, died this past January at age 98.

Tom kept an online journal about his mother: https://my91yearoldmom.com/

What he's doing these days: http://catchyourlimit.com/guides.html

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Moderator VIP Member GC Staff

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    As I shared in another thread, when I was in the 9th grade I befriended Jim Shirah of WAPE (as "powerful as any station in the nation").
    [​IMG]
    spinning the records back in the day

I had a school chum in those days that was a friend of Jim Shirah. I had wreck on my motorcycle broke my nose and had a few other minor injuries. Well, my friend told Jim about it and Jim did a short radio bit about it for several days, spoke my name and really was a cool spot.

Well, my dad never believed all of this stuff, but one day Jim Shirah called the house and let us know he was going to run the spot one more time and when to listen. So, we all gathered around the radio and sure enough there came the shout out with tires screeching, metal banging while Jim talked about me (truth was I had run into parked car on San Juan ave in Jax).

My dad was so impressed the he allowed me to go with Jim to WAPE studios several times to hang out. Was quite the experience for a 14 year old. I would answer the phones and take requests for Jim.

Now that golden throat has been silenced by a stroke. When I caught up with him on FB a few years ago he remembered me (or said he did) and we had some nice chats via FB.

[​IMG]
    Jim is on the right

[​IMG]
    Jim Promo photo

[​IMG]
    Post stroke days at the buffet.

Some Dino Summerlin voices

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville
    My sons collected baseball cards and when they were young I would occasionally take them to a small hobby / memorabilia store in Danbury, CT. When we were there one day I asked the owner of the store how someone could possibly know what was worth collecting and what was not. He told me anything a person's mother (the mother!) tells him to throw away is something worth collecting. :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  15. WhattaGator

So I guess I knew that about 1000 original times for the baseball cards alone! :(:mad:

16. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits

Ditto, same here. Some of it I don't know what happened to but so many first edition Marvel Comics wound up in the trash heap.

One of the rites of passage during that time for most of us was hurrying to the store to pick up the next edition.

17. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Listening to the WAPE clip at the bottom of Growl's post was like been rocketed back in time. Brought on a flood of different emotions but most all of them good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Unfortunately we all have those Baseball card stories...shoe-boxes full of them gone! Arrrrgh.:confused: "Hey mom whatever happened to those Baseball cards we had?" "Oh, honey I threw all that crap out when you went to college..."
    NOOOoooooooooooo:eek::(:oops:

Who mentioned the Long Branch Saloon?

I was a bartender there for quite some time. Those were my early years in Gainesville. I got to Gainesville in 1973 after a few years in Miami. That Long Branch Saloon used to rock! We jammed some good acts into that small space. That was when Nancy Luca was still in High School - I met her around then. She rocked town for a lot of years.

• Like Like x 1