Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gainesville ....

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Nov 22, 2021.

1. BossaGator

BossaGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Fun town for game weekends. I could never live there

2. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Off topic...but have you stayed at the small hotel across from the Holiday Inn? Or at the Reitz Union? I'm guessing that they get pretty pricey for game weekends, though.

3. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    AC Hotel Gainesville Downtown

Hotel | union.ufl.edu

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

4. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    I have started taking US 41 and then come in to G'ville off of 121 at Trenton. Takes a little longer but less traffic and get to go through some small Florida towns. But it is way different west of the Interstate when I was there in the early mid 90's.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    In my early senior citizen days, I see plenty of things I recall with fondness, even though the campus has gotten a LOT bigger. But this is mainly about Gainesville. To me, it is showing its age where the old neighborhoods are located. And the traffic is getting increasingly worse.

If I could bike to and from most of my places without feeling like could get run over then I would like to live there again. Nice sized city.

• Like Like x 1
  6. charliecasey

charliecasey All American

Feb 8, 2017
    Same as you Trickster. Grew up in NE G’ville, then moved just west of Tower Rd on SW 24th Av. Both Tower Rd and 24th were grade roads. Hunted and swam in the pits all around present day Haile. Gone for many, many years. Moved back in 2013, fled across the county line to avoid the property taxes and GRU. Gainesville is just not the same, but what community is. We’ve got a lot in Cashiers NC, but building prices are insane up there now.

• Creative Creative x 1
  7. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Cost of living is low, drinks are cheap, it's not hard to get places with a pool if you like swimming, you have easy access to all sorts of college sports which are also generally cheap and sometimes free to attend. What's not to like?

If you've made like $70K-$80K per year throughout the course of your life, you can live like a king in Gainesville.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Actually, Gainesville has been consistently ranked as one of the most bike friendly cities in the country. Now if the Alachua county commission would take care of the roads for cars, we wouldn't have to drive in the bike lane to avoid potholes.

https://www.usatoday.com/picture-ga...t-affordable-bike-friendly-cities/2636457001/

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Remember when University Avenue ended at the president’s house and was a dirt road? The only way west was Newberry Road? Lots of good memories of “the good old days”. Did you also go to GHS?

Yeah, prices on homes have skyrocketed in Asheville.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I'd think the ease and affordability of some of the non-football sports would be a real attraction to living there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. GrandPrixGator

GrandPrixGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It is if that's what you're into. In fact when I think of moving closer to mountains (for hiking) or the ocean (for surfing) I think I'd really miss it and would want to move back. So I'm staying put...

12. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Legend

Jul 4, 2020
    The around the campus area has lost a lot of its luster for me. Not much different than any area of Orlando or Tampa now.

13. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Hall of Fame

Apr 25, 2011
    I've lived in Gainesville a long long time, most of my life actually.

Like most bigger cities...there are liberals in charge who are so thankful God put them in power so they can be the savior of humanity. So we are saving the planet with paper straws, more bike lanes, one week emergency masking mandates, etc.

Those are 1st world problems, though. Other than that...life is good for the most part. I don't have much to complain about. I love Gainesville, actually.

DeSantis has been a good check and balance on the woke liberals here. When the governorship changes to someone like Gavin Newsome and that check and balance is removed Gainesville could go the way of California.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Huge budget surpluses, a massive economy, a ton of high-paying jobs, some of the best universities in the country, and the location of many of the most successful businesses in the country?

• Like Like x 1
  15. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Hall of Fame

Apr 25, 2011

16. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    PragerU? Might as well just link me to Sean Hannity.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Partially true as to the poster, but I got the impression he was really blaming the university and high salaried medical community for driving up the cost of living, while defending locals.

Most college towns are appealing places to retire. In fact wife thought I'd want to move to gville at retirement, since I'd be at attendance at virtually every sporting event. However, I've never been a big fan of the area/population beyond the university. Hotels and restaurants have been mediocre at best and it's a long way from the gulf/ocean. Weather totally sucks in the summer.

Also, I've never thought there was unity between the university and many of the locals, especially compared to other college towns I've visited. Seems to be a resentment or jealousy from the locals, including local cops. The referenced poster is a prime example. Bunch of rich spoiled kids, druggies, partiers, etc, I heard more than once over the years from locals. That was the case when I was a student and it hadn't improved when my son was a student a few years back.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  18. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Left the state of Florida after graduating from UF and haven’t looked back in two decades. Couldn't imagine giving up the mountains to live in Florida.

19. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Although I don't like Gainesville's politics, electric cost and property taxes it's a great place to raise a family and of course home to our Gators. I've been here since 1977 recently sold my business have 1 child graduating UF in December, another starting in the spring and my last one in high school.
    The Gainesville airport has gotten more competitive in the last few years and is almost done with their expansion. I've flown out of there probably 10 to 15 times in the past couple of years and their prices beat or came close to Jacksonville's almost every time but Orlando still has the best prices, I just hate going there and love how easy Gainesville is.
    I'm looking forward to getting out of Gainesville and moving to the NC mountains

• Like Like x 1
  20. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    In laws still live there even though they don’t venture east of I-75 much anymore (90’s). They used to love going to all the non football sports and university related events.
    For the good or bad, when the City upped the housing density, all the out if town developers came in and the tone of the city core really changed. They probably had to do something because of all the blight.
    I think the schools still suck, had a friend whose wife turned down a job at shands due to the school grades.
    It is way better than it was back in the old days when they were a top 5 town, violent crime per capita ;)
    Definitely a lot of out of touch fruit loops running for government;)